View Single Post
Old February 12th, 2018 #23
Emily Henderson
Intellijintly Dezined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donncha Dennis View Post
While I definitely do not want to make excuses for hardcore drug users. I always thought that the homeless drank booze in order to take pain away like toothaches, medical conditions, bruises, etc since they cant go to a doctor and cant always get their hands on pills nowadays. Don't know whats worse being a stone drunk or taking these pain pills that are just as worse. But yeah if anyone has ever been in a situation where they cant go to the dentist or doctors you can believe someone is going to try and take the pain away from drinking. Of course there are the people who just want to get drunk for drunkenness sake those I don't have so much pity for but I digress.
It depends on what City someone is in regarding dental and medical care. True that it is very bad, I've read prison stories where they talk of dental infection that was so bad they asked fellow inmates to yank out the tooth, etc.

But in some places they are able to get access to services, they are getting high because they want to.

In Austin they spent $5,000,000.00 to build a 'Resource Center for the Homeless', and it has:

free dental
free medical
free help with substance abuse issues
..and they would get an apartment for anyone who was mentally and physically well off enough to become employed, the helped them get work as well.

What ended up happening was that the City was over-run with drug addicts and mentally ill. The mentally ill one might feel sorry for, but not the addicts so much.

You just don't put a five million dollar building full of drug addled schizophrenics in the center of an entertainment and business district and expect things to go well.

There was a Catholic church that would put homeless up for several weeks and get them a job. Whenever a scammer would try to bother me when I was walking I'd tell them the name of the church and they didn't want to hear it, all except for one man who asked me where it was.

Same as offering them food vs. money. If they ask for 'money for food' and you actually hand them food and they look disappointed, they didn't want the money for food. (Some do want food and are grateful, most want cash).

The cities all need to have a situation where running around harassing people for money in a 'shake down' kind of way is illegal, services are rendered at places not in the middle of town, and if they won't take the help and are caught high and what-not they can just go to forced drug rehab or jail, IMO.

And if the Sanctuary City laws had been, as the people voted for but were overruled, declared unconstitutional, then the illegal alien aspect of all this blight would be gone and we'd only have our own problematic people to deal with, taking down the burden and cost quite a bit.