View Single Post
Old April 28th, 2010 #13
Joe_J.
Radio active

Quote:
HAMPTON -- "Never once did he try to take my keys. Never once did he ask or try to take my pocketbook or any money. He was just out to hurt," says Sylvia Hollingsworth.
Bruised, still in pain, the 59-year-old recalls the attack that took place at the 7-Eleven at the corner of North King Street and Rip Rap Road on April 16. She stopped to buy lottery tickets around 11:15 p.m.
Hampton Police believe the attacker was 25-year-old William Douglas, who turned himself in early Wednesday.
"It leaves me hurt, and I feel like I'm a victim of a hate crime," Hollingsworth tells 13News, "just in his own words, he hated whites and he was going to kill my 'effing' white ass, as he put it, and that's what he was trying to do."
Hollingsworth says Douglas was the passenger in a car that pulled into the parking lot about the same time she did. He yelled a couple of things at her before she ran inside, then followed her into the store. Hollingsworth paid for her purchase, then left. She says Douglas was right behind her, starting up with the profanity again, following her to her car.
The 59-year-old uses a cane to help her walk. She was part of the way into her car, trying to lift her left leg which gives her trouble. Douglas supposedly grabbed hold of the door and began slamming it continually, banging Hollingsworth's leg repeatedly in the process.
"He paused just long enough to want to know if I had anything to say to him. I can't stand the 'F' word," shares Hollingsworth. "I looked up at him solemnly and said, 'Do you know how to speak English?' Of course, that didn't help his anger any, and he slammed again."
Hollingsworth says Douglas switched to punches, hitting her in her face and throat, as she attempted to dial 9-1-1 on her cell phone. Several people were outside of the convenience store, but Hollingsworth explains neither they nor workers called police.
Eventually, someone who arrived in the parking lot chased off her attacker. Within minutes, police believe Douglas opened fire on a person in a car just down the street from the 7-Eleven.
That victim was in his 2003 Cadillac talking with friends when someone shouted obscenities at him. As the car owner drove off, the person started shooting, with bullets striking car several times.
The driver stopped at the 7-Eleven to call police and learned of the first attack against Hollingsworth.
"It's just horrendous that somebody could even thing that they're actually human, to be able to do that to somebody else," says Hollingsworth. "Next time he goes after someone, they may not be as lucky, and they might end up dead."
William Douglas faces one count each of malicious wounding, shooting into an occupied vehicle and use of a firearm in the commission of a felony.
http://www.wvec.com/news/Police-name...ed-person.html