View Single Post
Old October 11th, 2017 #43
Jeffrey Smither

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven clark View Post
No need to advise me carrying mace, I'll never get a thousand miles near Weinstein.
Usually, to sell a script means you have to live in Hollywood. They say you need an agent, but it's impossible to get one. Jews are masterful gatekeepers, and like in publishing, agents know what is verboten. I know one screenwriter who did a lot of work on TV. He enjoys doing it, but moved to St. Louis when he had children. He said he would never want to bring up kids in L.A.

There are contests you can enter, but they're pricey. Also, there are local and state competitions for screenplays. I won one in Missouri, but that's no guarantee your script will ever get made. Lots of winners never get anything done, although the woman who wrote Sunshine Cleaning, which won a Virginia screenwriting contest, did see her film get made, and it took years.

Then there's age. if you're over forty, you're pretty much washed up in Hollywood screenwriting. One writer I know moved from Hollywood to Denmark, because he said in Europe there's no age discrimination. Imagine if you're forty and the director is twenty-three or younger.
Then Naomi Watts, one actress, went to an audition, and the director, producer, etc., were all high.
So, Weinstein is very much in his element.
Writers are essential to film…look at all the dopey scripts and remakes Hollywood does, but they have little power. TV is friendlier to writers, but it's really tough to break in, and you have to have 1000 percent liberal/left bonifides.

There's the joke about the Polish actress who went to Hollywood and wanted to get ahead by fucking the writer.
I'm sure Weinstein had a lot of good laughs at that one.
Moved to St. Louis? Does he work on the local tv in stl?