View Single Post
Old July 13th, 2012 #4
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Ramsey View Post
What about "Nevaeh"? Heaven spelled backwords. Yes, I know of one.
Make the name you give your child:

simple
reflective of his ethnicity, if you like
euphonious - in conjunction with his last name (the entire name should be easily pronounceable and just sound right when you say it, don't let the names slide into each other. the person will have to speak this name millions of times, make it easy for him)

If something has to give, it's the ethnic part.

You are proud of being Irish, of course you are. They all are. So you want to name your child Siobhan.

Now...how many people can pronounce that name outside of Ireland, let alone spell it?

Very, very, very? very few.

Your kid is going to be tortured almost every single day of her life trying to explain that fucking moniker to every tv-drenched illiterate in her daily path. It will be a horror and a nightmare.

Don't do that to your kid.

You're in Ireland, where maybe people know that name? Ok then, maybe do it.

You're in America, no. Don't do it.

All you want to do is give your kid a time-honored name that, ideally is simple, pleasant, reflective of ethnic origins, and sounds good in conjunction with last name. And if any of those are in conflict, opt for the simple and clear and easily pronounceable.

Naming a child is not something you can do right, it's something you can avoid doing wrong. It's up to the child to make his name; and it's up to you not to pre-fuck him with a stupid bid for specialness.

I would only add that if you're WN-minded I would try very hard to avoid any christian names, as this disgusting cult is nothing we want to perpetuate, it is something we want to leave behind. I wouldn't make that a principle, as too many names are christian in origin, but I would definitely try very hard to avoid them if at all possible.

Last edited by Alex Linder; July 13th, 2012 at 02:07 PM.