View Single Post
Old January 20th, 2014 #58
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
He was an ex-UCLA lineman from the '50s. He benched me for the only two games my parents showed up for (from out of state) because the game before I'd mentioned I was going to try to hit an HR, since I was the only starter who hadn't. We were ahead of Cal-Tech 17-3, so no danger of losing.
Jesus, what a prick. Probably thought he was teaching you a life lesson about "no I in TEAM" banality.

My baseball brush with fame was getting into a fairly serious collision at 1B with Paul O'Neill, who went on to play for the Reds and Yankees.

Quote:
Did I say Burns is a putz? A PC putz, too. I bet he shit on Ty Cobb, the greatest baseball player who ever lived, and an excellent businessman/investor, too.
Did you know that sliding into a base stems from racism?

Seems that a few blacks did indeed play on late 19th/early 20th century professional teams. One of them played SS, and the white players would "sacrifice being tagged out by pulling up short in a slide with which they used their spikes to strike his shins". Or something like that.

Which begged, at least to me, the question as to why players still slide into base today?

Last edited by Donnie in Ohio; January 20th, 2014 at 07:19 AM.