Full Thread: #1 Garden Thread
View Single Post
Old August 28th, 2015 #192
Susan

Well, I planted 10 tomato plants, with several different varieties in large clay pots in my driveway again this year. One thing I have finally decided is I will never buy container tomato plants again. They never grow taller than about 8 inches and only yielded about 4-5 tomatoes the whole summer. I finally tore them up and threw the plants out. I had two of these.

I also had two Cherokee purple plants which both grew about 5 feet tall, but only yielded about 5-7 tomatoes each plant. Granted, they were delicious, but not worth all the time and trouble I don't think. Maybe I'm not doing something I should be doing to make these do better.

I had two plants each of Juliette tomatoes and cherry tomatoes and these have done the best of all my plants this year. They are still producing tomatoes and are delicious. They are smaller tomatoes, but since I no longer eat bread, I don't need larger tomatoes used in sandwiches. I really missed my tomato sandwiches this summer, but bread makes you fat, among other things. So, the smaller tomatoes have been perfect for putting in my salads, adding just the right amount of zingy flavor. I have had so many of each of these that I have been able to go out every day and pick enough to eat in whatever I was eating that day. I put tomatoes in just about everything I eat to add flavor.

I had a few of some other kinds but I forget their names. They were medium sized tomatoes but didn't produce a whole lot over the summer. I know summer isn't finished yet, but I have taken down 5 plants and have 5 left which still have tomatoes on them. My juliette and cherry plants are still covered in tomatoes with a bunch that are ripening, finally, and it looks as if I'll have tomatoes through the end of September. Not sure how much beyond that though.

It really is true about beginner's luck though. My first summer with growing tomatoes, about 5 years ago, I didn't do anything to the 3 plants and I had more tomatoes I could eat past Thanksgiving. I finally had to just tear the plants down as it was getting cold. I've had varying degrees of success since that first year, mostly due to the weather here in Georgia: either too hot or too rainy. I've had to take some of the cherry tomatoes and put them in my window to ripen as it's been so hot. But, the weather seems to be changing slightly now and the nights are cooler.

I may try to do some winter lettuce and see how that does. I love salads so much. We'll see.