View Single Post
Old January 4th, 2019 #16
Enbyeff

Quote:
I love 'Life with Father' and 'The Little Foxes' particularly, they are both excellent.
William Powell thinking he could deal with Gawd on a reasonable businessman-to-businessman basis when he died vs his horrified wife's insistence that he MUST be baptized was a delight. He was the "Victorian Patriarch", was sure he was running the show - while she was gently grinding him down until she got her way....)

"Oh, GAD!!"

Powell was also terrific with Myrna Loy in the Thin Man series.

Quote:
I really love documentaries: a particularly good one is 'Brother's Keeper' from 1992.
My favorite documentary is Harlan County, USA, about a coal miner's strike in Kentucky in the early '70s. It shows the tar paper shacks with no water that the company (Duke Power) gave the miners & their families to exist in, and the old miners on oxygen, dying in misery of black lung, versus the slimy suits & their "gun thug" enforcers led by a mine manager. The miner's wives steal the "show": far more resolute than the men. There's a scene of the funeral of one of the strikers who got his brains blown out: his poor old mother collapsing at his casket....anyone who can watch it without being moved is as dead as he is.

Last edited by Enbyeff; January 4th, 2019 at 04:56 AM.