View Single Post
Old July 26th, 2018 #9
Nikola Bijeliti
fluxmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Allan View Post
Were you able to see first stage separation and boost-back?
All we could see was the jet from the rocket engine, no more. There was fog on the ground, but after the rocket got above the fog, we could see a white line in the sky rise up and over us until it disappeared over the roof of the motel balcony. I suppose you could describe it as a very bright comet. It was clearer and sharper than the video would indicate, but it was much less spectacular that I was lead to believe that a launch would be. The sound of the rocket is rather loud, louder than it appears on the video, and the earth does shake a bit; that part is more spectacular than the sight itself.

When we took the guided tour of the Vandenberg launch complex, the tour guide told us of a place called the Hawks Nest that has a better view, but he said that it is only open for daytime launches. I thought it was a building, like Hitler's Eagle's Nest, but, when I googled it, it was only a lot by the side of the road. He also said that there is usually no fog at winter launches. We may go again if I have the time.