Full Thread: #1 Golden Dawn Thread
View Single Post
Old May 27th, 2019 #7032
Pierre-Marc

So... the election results for Golden Dawn were quite bad, near catastrophic I would say. A drop to the 5th place, behind the commies, with 4.85%, half its 2014 result and much less than national elections of Jan 2015 and Sept 2015.

In their defense we could say that the discontent with Tsipras was so high that people preferred voting for the center right. But that's not entirely true, as a new kosher far-right party got 4.14% of the votes, and in some regions got more votes than the Golden Dawn.

The votes of all "far-right" parties total around 11% (including GD). In this way, it's a complete failure for GD as they have failed to unite all these parties (i.e. steal their electors). With Tsipras giving away Macedonia and Mitsotakis saying he will not cancel the Prespes agreement if he becomes the next PM, GD really had a chance.

What happened to me is the following: I hear Lagos (now a newly elected EU deputy with GD) on radio saying that their ballot paper for the EU elections were "of GDers to GDers", in response to why they decided not to reelected their 3 previous candidates. They failed to behave as a multi-hundred-thousand-voter party, and continued to behave as if they were in 1990 when nobody knew them. The lack of charisma of the leader is also an issue to me...

I'm not talking about changing ideology, just behavior and appearance...

I also had high hopes for Kasidiaris who was candidate for Athens mayorship. In 2014 he got 16%, yesterday only 10%. Even a few opinion polls were giving him the 2nd place...

They kept saying they would remain the 3rd party and that Kasidiaris would get to the second round but none of that happened.

Sadly, this isn't just a electoral defeat, but may be the end of Golden Dawn IMO. This is the worst that can happen now:

1. Tsipras losing by 10pts has called for new elections, set for June 30th
2. Opinion polls will start giving the "far-right" party "Greek Solution" (GS) above GD and put GD to the 6th or 7th place or even 8th, who knows.
3. On election day, GS could very well do better than GD, as GS is actually allowed to appear on TV.
4. Seeing that GD doesn't have 500,000 voters behind them anymore, their trial which should end by the end of the year, could see them condemned as a criminal organization.
5. That will definitely not bring them new voters and could mark the end of GD.

However, I don't want to be too pessimist, GD has survived were any other party would have not... We'll see.