Full Thread: Hummingbirds
View Single Post
Old August 25th, 2017 #6
Emily Henderson
Intellijintly Dezined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
I live on the edge of woods so I get all kinds of critters. A few weeks ago there was a huge black rattlesnake lurking on the ledge at the top of my carport. I nudged him with a broom and he soon slithered away. Last year I disturbed a copperhead that was napping under some magnolia leaves on the ground and I raked right over him. I stood over him for an hour trying to get my nerve up to chop his head off with a shovel but I never could. Finally, he got bored with me and slithered off into a pile of mulch. lol

I don't know where you are Emily but you have to put up at least ten feeders in your front or back yard if you want to see more than one at a time. But, put them up and they will come.
Will do.

I've never seen a live rattlesnake but my back field at my prior location was loaded with the shed skin from their rattles. Only snake I saw was a huge 'rat snake' and from what I hear their bite is so 'dirty' it can kill. Shudder.

My fave observation was the barn swallows, they would get in my front porch awning every Spring and make their nests, but the cats in the area always managed to knock it down at some point, or another group of birds would take over their nest like gangbanging nigs, lol. Awful.

I tried to help them out one year by taking a pair of old jeans and some twine and making a 'nest' and screwing it into the porch awning, higher than where they'd been nesting.

The birds snubbed my nest but put theirs on top of mine, lol. That kept the cats out, but even at that the war between the two types of bird continued. The little brown and white birds would start out and get everything built up, then the blue/red/yellow ones one day would be sitting in the nest victorious, having thrown out the previous tenant and taken over their nest.