Full Thread: Gear You Need To Have:
View Single Post
Old March 19th, 2013 #17
Crowe

I picked up a small - telescoping fishing pole at a flee market a few years ago. Comes in a small case about the size of a wallet and there is room in there for some hooks and even a few lures. I've tested it many times, and its perfect for catching bluegil/crappie. I'd recommend such a pole for any survivalist's backpack. These are compact and cheap enough where you can buy 2 or 3 as backup in case one of them breaks.

Carrying a spool of 50lb test line is also a good idea. Lets say if you kill a small animal - and don't eat 100% of it you could then save some of it as bait, and throw some trot lines out - and you might catch a big catfish or a turtle. Catfish and turtles love rotten meat.

Also you can buy fold up shovels from a local army surplus store. The one I got has a sharp edge and the guy said it was designed to also double as a weapon. Its the perfect size where you could tie it to the outside of your backpack, and it won't be cumbersome to carry around.

Think of something you might need? Look for a version that folds up and is compact.

Last edited by Crowe; March 19th, 2013 at 01:07 PM.