View Single Post
Old July 6th, 2022 #803
Stewart Meadows

Quote:
NYPD exodus: Police on pace to quit, retire in record numbers

By Dean Balsamini
June 11, 2022

More than 1,500 NYPD officers have either resigned or retired so far this year – on pace to be the biggest exodus of officers since the statistics have been available, The Post has learned.

Some 524 cops have resigned and 1,072 have retired as of May 31, NYPD pension stats obtained by The Post show.

The 1,596 total is a 38% spike from the same period in 2021, when 1,159 cops called it a career, and a staggering 46% climb from 2020, when 1,092 left the force by the same date.

Anti-cop hostility, bail reform, and rising crime have fed into frustration among the NYPD rank and file, according to one NYPD officer who recently fled for greener pastures at a Long Island police department after 6 1/2 years with the New York’s Finest.
https://nypost.com/2022/06/11/nypd-c...ecord-numbers/

Quote:
NYPD veteran of 20 years gives department the finger as he retires

By Tina Moore and Dana Kennedy
July 2, 2022

A 20-year decorated veteran of the NYPD celebrated Independence Day a little early by retiring — and giving the department the finger.

Thomas J. Gambardella, 41, of Staten Island, posted a photo on Facebook of himself flipping the bird at a memorial to fallen officers inside NYPD headquarters, while wearing a T-shirt reading “Let’s Go Brandon,” following his official retirement from the force two weeks ago.

“I’m officially retired today!” he wrote in a post at the time. “From this sorry excuse of a s–t job. Thank God, I’m free at last!… I loved everyone I worked with and ‘some’ of the people I’ve worked for. But this job is no one’s friend. Time to live free. I’ll see you all out there!”

Gambardella, who was most recently a detective sergeant, told The Post on Saturday that he loved his job when he started out — but the gig turned “s–t” due to the city’s increasingly soft-on-crime policies.
(...)

Thomas Gambardella had an interesting way to say goodbye to the NYPD.
Facebook

Thomas Gambardella said he loved his job when he started out, but the gig turned “s–t” due to the city’s increasingly soft-on-crime policies.
Thomas Gambardella/Facebook

(...)
“I was a true believer,” Gambardella, who comes from a police family, said of his early years on the beat. “I wasn’t a bag of s–t. I worked some intricate details. I gave a lot of my blood, sweat and tears. But no more.”

A combination of increasingly liberal policies and what he said was the NYPD’s stranglehold over every aspect of his life led him to sour on the job.

“It’s the worst f–king job in the world,” Gambardella said. “They own you. They’re not your friends. All that talk about the ‘big blue family.’ They don’t care. If I die tomorrow they wouldn’t give a sh-t. If I needed something it ain’t gonna happen. I’m better off just saying a prayer.”

(...)

“All that talk about the ‘big blue family.’ They don’t care,” Thomas Gambardella said.
Provided by Thomas Gambardella

(...)
https://nypost.com/2022/07/02/20-yea...019a80f53d6b25