View Single Post
Old May 26th, 2011 #9
Paulavt

Court to hear new trial motions in Christian-Newsom murders

Quote:
KNOXVILLE (WATE) - The four defendants convicted in the Christian-Newsom murders have been granted motions hearings for new trials.

This follows the resignation earlier in March of Judge Richard Baumgartner, who presided over their trials. Baumgartner admitted an addiction to painkillers and pleaded guilty to official misconduct.

Judge Mary Beth Leibowitz said in court Friday "the situation we find ourselves in is uncommon," but added it is under control.

Judge Jon Kerry Blackwood will preside over the hearings in the case. It is up to him to determine if the defendants had trials that were constitutionally sound or if retrials should be granted.

Three men, Letalvis Cobbins, his half-brother, LeMaricus Davidson and his friend, George Thomas, were convicted on charges related to the January 2007 abduction, rapes and murders of Channon Christian and her boyfriend, Christopher Newsom.

Cobbins then girlfriend, Vanessa Coleman, was acquitted of the murders and convicted on lesser charges.

Cobbins' hearing for a new trial motion is scheduled for June 9.

Davidson is due to stand trial for aggravated robbery starting July 11. His motion for a new trial in the Christian-Newsom case will be heard on September 8.

Thomas' new motion will be in court on October 6.

Coleman's new trial motion will be heard last, on December 1.

Davidson received a death sentence. Cobbins and Thomas received sentences of life without the possibility of parole. Coleman was sentenced to serve 53 years.

"To me, this happened two weeks ago," said Channon Christian's father, Gary. "Time has no essence. I have nothing else to do but try to feed my family and make sure they don't hurt your kids."

"We are into the fifth year of this and absolute resolution hasn't taken place yet," said Chris Newsom's father, Hugh.

The Newsoms and Christians both say Baumgartner's decisions during the trials were made fairly and legally.

"Everything was done above board. Everything was done professionally. I don't see how they have a chance," said Channon Christian's mother, Deena. "They can file all the motions they want."

As the motions for new trials are heard, Baumgartner could be called to testify.

Judge Leibowitz and Judge Bob McGee will handle the rest of Baumgartner's cases that have pending motions for new trials.