View Single Post
Old December 14th, 2016 #67
Crowe

I agree with Varg about TOR. If you actually want to be secure, then you're going to need multiple layers of security. At least, that's what I've heard after doing a little bit of research on the matter. Some combination of a proxy + VPN. And being knowledgeable about exploits that can leak your identity.

I know recently, it was discovered that Windows 10 has a DNS leak:

https://www.bestvpn.com/blog/28318/w...risk-dns-leak/

If you got a DNS leak, you're fucked. But the average internet user isn't gonna be aware of loopholes in their security like this. Malware can also leak your real identity. There have been exploits in java, and flash player that give your real identity away as well. This is why being "secure" isn't really that simple anymore. You actually have to be knowledgeable and and stay in the loop about these matters. Most people don't have the time, or the willingness to do so. Except for the people who are actually doing, real, genuine, illegal activities.

I know people who frequently pirate stuff via torrents, and don't want to get in any trouble use services like Torguard, which you have to pay for. But I'm not really sure how secure this service is if you're looking to avoid the feds for example.

But most of the actual hackers that do actual dirt on the internet, people who would need air tight security, don't make their security methods public knowledge. So the average Joe is kinda left wondering what's secure and what isn't? There is a lot of false information floating around the internet as well.

Last edited by Crowe; December 14th, 2016 at 01:25 PM.