Full Thread: Refinishing a firearm
View Single Post
Old May 11th, 2013 #3
Zander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr A.Anderson View Post
I recently purchased an old Marlin lever action Model 336 .30-30 rifle as a simple trail gun. I traced the serial number (first 2 digits) back to determine the manufacture date: 1975.

The finish on the wood is worn, and the bluing is in bad shape, but the rifling is still good.

In the spirit of learning how to do things for ourselves, I plan on refinishing the rifle myself.

I have some experience with refinishing wood, and if I get into any trouble - I have a friend that is a master carpenter. However, I have never tried bluing anything. I have watched several product videos online for cold bluing, but am completely ignorant of 'what is what' when it comes to this.

Over the next few weeks, I'm going to start on the wood. I have a few ideas that I want to try and see how everything comes out. I'll take pictures along the way and post them here.

I know that Brooklyn Rick has experience in making period firearms, any suggestions/advice for a first time, DIY bluing process? This is not going to be an everyday rifle, more of a pack firearm, so I don't plan on "handling" it extensively/every day.
Good luck with the project. Hope it turns out great. Are you going to keep the finished article or sell it. If you dont mind me asking.