View Single Post
Old July 8th, 2021 #28
Stewart Meadows

Here's a new anti-white op-ed from RT:

Quote:
I get the ‘white saviour’ thing in ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’. But that doesn’t mean it should be killed off and not read by children

7 Jul, 2021 15:04

By Polly Boiko, Senior Editor based in London. Before that she was the face of satirical online project ICYMI, and reported on important events as the UK correspondent for RT International.

A school in Scotland has cancelled Harper Lee’s celebrated novel in order to ‘decolonise’ its exam curriculum. I’m all for bringing in more books by non-white and female authors, but that shouldn’t mean all classics being dumped.

It’s only the most inspirational book of all time – a Pulitzer Prize winner that was originally banned for its raw depiction of racism and sexual violence. But now one school in Scotland has banned ‘To Kill A Mockingbird’ for another reason: because it plays into a “white-saviour narrative”.
(...)
OK, I get the “white saviour” thing in ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’, I really do. In fact, it’s a great topic for discussion in, say… an English lesson?

I also get that just 1% of English literature students at GCSE (that’s the exam that British kids take at the age of 16) read a prescribed book by a writer of colour. And just 7% read a book by a woman! That’s abysmal.
(...)
I’m not going to argue that stale reading lists couldn’t use a refresh. Let’s introduce more non-white writers, to join those such as Benjamin Zephaniah and Malorie Blackman. Non-white kids, who make up around 34% of pupils, ought to see themselves and their experiences reflected in the canon. But why must “decolonising the curriculum” kill off ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’?
https://www.rt.com/op-ed/528601-scot...l-mockingbird/

The best comment for this garbage article:

Quote:
michael roberts 1 day ago
If non white students now make up a staggering 34% of the British school age population, this is truly a sign that the UK as a first world nation is no more. The descendants of the people who built this once great country are dying out, and they are not being replaced. Soon, the UK will become the Islamic republic of Britistan.