View Single Post
Old February 19th, 2014 #6
Alex Linder
Administrator

"If you see your coach getting emotionally worked up, it just gives his students the opportunity to be the same way," said Mauro Bruni, one of Carroll's former skaters. "He'll never get wrapped up in the emotion. He never raises his voice. He's very businesslike on the ice, and I found that different from other coaches I'd worked with in the past. He's calm, straight to the point. There's no bullshit."

"If my eyes would start to well up because I was having a bad day, he'd say, 'I don't want to see any tears today,'" recalled Fratianne. "I never crossed Frank or pushed back against Frank; if I ever got angry, it was mostly at myself."

"I don't want to hear, you're emotionally upset. I don't want to hear, this didn't go right. I don't want whining. I want training," Carroll said. "The only way to have success is through preparation and, yes, I understand you're nervous, but I don't care. Neither do the judges care. No one cares. What they want to see you do is get through this program from the start to the finish very, very well."