Full Thread: #1 Garden Thread
View Single Post
Old May 23rd, 2022 #203
Susan

Default Ready for summer veggies

Finally got my raised beds all planted for summer. This year I planted four times the okra I planted last year. This year I will just sprinkle my okra with herbs and spices and broil it.

I also planted zucchini squash, yellow squash, cucumbers, peppers, and cantaloupe. And, of course, tomatoes. I may add something else later. I just grow the things I eat a lot of and try to cut back on expenses.

Of course, the food is so much better than anything in the stores. There are people all around me who have more land and bigger garden areas who I could buy from. But why give them my money when with a little hard work I can grow my own and save money.

It looks as if we are going to have a hot, dry summer in Georgia, so I will be watering a lot. It's still worth it to have fresh, safe food.

I was lazy over this past winter and did not do anything in the garden. But I'm making up for it now so I have lots of fresh food.

Times are tough, and will most likely get worse. I am definitely paying more for food but I have also changed my diet to decrease the food I buy. I shop at a number of stores nearby and whenever I find items I eat on clearance, I buy as many as I can afford. Kroger is constantly resetting their items, so when they put something I eat on Closeout, I buy them up. I use coupons, and keep a lot of food on hand.

As I have stated before, I NEVER eat out. Eating out is throwing money away. And the critters fixing your food are filthy people who never wash their hands.

Getting back to my diet changes, I felt as if I were getting pre diabetic, so I greatly reduced my carb intake, eliminating a number of foods. I am a longtime vegan, and I had to give up some foods I loved. But I love all veggies, so I just started eating some more that I rarely ate and all is fine.

The healthiest diet is no meat, no or rare dairy, lots of fresh veggies and fruits, some nuts and grains. I usually eat a salad every day and one other meal of the above.

I am 67, almost 68, and I am on NO medications which is almost unheard of for someone my age. My bp is good, my heart is good.