View Single Post
Old January 6th, 2019 #26
Emily Henderson
Intellijintly Dezined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enbyeff View Post

The Searchers

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (both versions)

War of the Worlds (both)
I love Invasion of the Body Snatchers, but for an odd reason: it reminds me of people who you knew for a long time and they 'changed' after getting involved perhaps in some hokey religion or thing that altered who they are. Like they became automaton pod people. 'It looks like them but it's not them!'

The Searchers is good, it's funny but also serious in that it doesn't depict Comanche as anything but the low-lifes they really are. Wouldn't be allowed today.

Until I saw the movie I never understood the joke my parents would make with each other---if one of them said something rude the other would say, 'thank you kindly, Mr. Ethan'.

I like the old War of the Worlds but the new one was hard to take if you mean the one with Tom Cruise---Dakota Fanning seemed tougher and more equipped to handle the aliens than ol' Tom, lol. There was a disconnect in the story, relying on graphics and whatnot, with no real connection to the people felt IMO----and Tom running is funny. All his action films depict him way over the top from how he really is.

I do think he was excellent in Born on the Fourth of July---he captured the character perfectly. Ron Kovic made sure of it---he would not let them make the film out of his book without his presence and influence over it.

Tom fit the character of 'gung ho ready to go to war lemming' perfectly and then he looked like a really broken man afterward, family disowning him because he busted their fantasy of war and fake heroism with what REALLY went on in the war.

That film also showed what a nig infested Vet hospital was REALLY like which I was always surprised by, since by the time that movie came out we were deep into lying about Blacks in film.