View Single Post
Old February 10th, 2014 #25
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B. Forrest View Post
I award this championship only after laborious research and incessant prayer.

I am familiar with the back streets of Newark, Brooklyn and Chicago, and have made scientific explorations to Camden, N.J. and Newport News, Va.

The effect is that of a fat woman with a black eye. It is that of a Presbyterian grinning. But they like it.

I too have often lamented the comparative fugliness of American architecture to that of the Old World, and wondered why it is so. Why didn't our European forefathers come here and build in the same beautiful, picturesque styles of their lands of origin? Some did, of course; living in Virginia, for example, means seeing more fine old buildings than in pretty much any other state - but even here, the majority of houses & places of business have no exciting style to speak of. Some pioneer cabins were constructed well enuf to last centuries, but most have little beauty other than that conferred by time.
He was the master of the insult within the insult. The side-'sult. Like the "even in Spain." It's a great technique, used it myself a million times.