View Single Post
Old June 18th, 2005 #53
Mr. T.H. Outis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelhaken
There is only one reason I debate in Opp forum: for the guest viewer of discriminating taste. Opp forum has a high viewership, someone once told me he only views VNNF when a member who can debate adroitly, and more or less civilly, is engaged in Opp forum. I don't think he's the only one. My experience suggests Opp forum is a viable propaganda vehicle.
I have noticed that you hold good debates with certain opponents there. And it does have a high viewership, which has always bothered me. Ultimately every standpoint comes out looking hopelessly one-sided on the internet, when "everything is permitted" and no one believes anything. So to me, an Opposition forum is a way for this "everything" to further reduce the potential for VNN's reputation to take hold in the mind of the impressionable viewer. Which type is rarer—the guy whose "light switch" is about to go from off to on, or the one who, after lengthy, civil debate, adopts White Nationalism rationally? I believe most of us here were brought into the fold by Linder's potty mouth. A good joke works better than "on the one hand this, on the other hand that". To paraphrase a somewhat famous author, subtle exegesis is foreign to my way of thinking. I have never felt the need to hash things out with opponents to clarify my views, which in nearly every case seemed to have fallen into my lap, or persuade them thereby. I believe that owing to the nature of (what I will call here) modern semantic loosening, persuasion is a very rare phenomenon, and not one on which I would stake the existence of a forum devoted entirely to enemies, which is thus one of the most popular. On the contrary, it seems to me that long debates are the surest way to kill the seeds of allegiance. But I cannot discount the potential draw of seeing someone like you in an intellectual fencing-match with some kind of enemy. I simply could not countenance any of it and do not believe the returns are worth the investment.