Full Thread: #1 Canada Thread
View Single Post
Old December 29th, 2014 #25
Alex Linder
Administrator

The Multicult’s bitter harvest

By Klaus Rohrich October 27, 2014

When Trudeau père sold Canadians the conceit of multiculturalism as a workable societal foundation, most people eagerly bought in. After all, what harm can there be in turning the drab Canadian mangia cake uniformity into a colorful, spicy multinational quilt? The upside includes wondrous, redolent, zesty foods; quaint customs and celebrations that turn the old homogeneity into a vibrant heterogeneous stew of warmth and mutual respect.

Of course, there were those who warned that the concept was pretty far-fetched and not much good could come of it. And naturally, they were roundly condemned as xenophobic racists.

Balkanized ghettos in Canada’s larger urban centers

Now that multiculturalism has been entrenched in our social fabric for five decades, many of us are beginning to feel slightly uneasy, as we notice that the newcomers we so openly embraced want little or nothing to do with us and tend to live in balkanized ghettos in Canada’s larger urban centers. What’s more, some of those quaint customs that we so eagerly anticipated turn out not to be so quaint after all, as words like “honor killing”, “cliterodectomy”, “arranged marriages” and “terrorism” have entered our lexicon.

While Quebecers are vigilantly guarding their culture through draconian language laws that essentially outlaws the public use of any language but French, some of our multicultural neighbors in other provinces are sending clear signals that they do not wish to have anything to do with “Canadians”. In Richmond, BC, a suburb of Vancouver, a group of residents presented a petition with over 1,000 signatures to city council requesting that a by-law be passed that any signage within the city limits contain at least one of Canada’s official languages. Council declined to do so, despite parts of Vancouver now closely resembling Hong Kong.

Multiculturalism is also extremely expensive in that federal and provincial governments

But that isn’t the worst of it. Multiculturalism is also extremely expensive in that federal and provincial governments are now providing interpreters to assist citizens unable to speak either official language in their home language. Having interpreters on call at hospitals, courts, immigration and welfare offices is a costly proposition that benefits no one, but those who do not feel it necessary to learn our language. And while being proficient in the language of the country to which you are emigrating, an even greater detriment is the way in which the native culture is affected. We suddenly find ourselves avoiding the use of the word “Christmas” lest we offend the tender sensibilities of those who traditionally do not celebrate that particular holiday. Yet newspaper and television personalities are wishing our co-tenants a pleasant feast of Eid al-Adha or “Kung hei fat choi”.

I have no issue with others celebrating their traditional holidays; just don’t keep the rest of us from celebrating ours. And while you’re at it, the official languages of Canada are English and French, not Mandarin, Urdu, Hindi or Arabic. It might be politic of newcomers to take the trouble to learn at least one of them.

Damage that is being done to our societal fabric

Finally, the most distressing aspect of the multicult is the damage that is being done to our societal fabric. It’s sort of quaint when you’re cheering your native land during the World Cup. But it’s reprehensible, even treasonous, when you’re cheering the side that’s killing our soldiers in Iraq or Afghanistan. And now that our soldiers have begun to be killed here at home, all bets are off. Whether the perpetrators are home grown converts or disaffected immigrants, we need to be more insistent that newcomers adapt themselves to our way of life, rather than accommodating them in theirs.

After all, the concepts of forced marriages, honor killings, Jihad, as well as self-segregation are fundamentally un-Canadian and should not be tolerated. When I was a new immigrant to Canada I often heard that if I wasn’t down with learning English, I could always go back to where I came from. I chose to learn English.

Klaus Rohrich is senior columnist for Canada Free Press. Klaus also writes topical articles for numerous magazines. He has a regular column on RetirementHomesand is currently working on his first book dealing with the toxicity of liberalism. His work has been featured on the Drudge Report, Rush Limbaugh, Fox News, among others. He lives and works in a small town outside of Toronto. Klaus can be reached at

[email protected]