Full Thread: White Spirit
View Single Post
Old May 7th, 2014 #66
Alex Linder
Administrator

Alex Linder

[from Missouri Conservationist, May 2014, p. 8]

Quote:
In 1989, a small group of anglers got fed up with trash marring the beauty of Roubidoux Creek. They decided to clean a section of the stream in Pulaski County. In doing so, they formed the first Missouri Stream Team. Twenty-five years later, the Roubidoux Fly Fishers Association -- Stream Team 1 -- is still going strong, and the movement they launched has exceeded even the most ambitious early goals. The Missouri Stream Team Program now boasts more than 4,000 Stream Teams with more than 85,000 volunteers.
This is what R.E. Lee meant in his quote about wherever you find the white man, things are going up around him - improving. I'm not on a stream team, but I do pick up trash on the eastern bank a local state pond, already got out there once this year. Also pick up trash where I live and recycle any useful clothes or metal I find. White spirit isn't just dramatic, heroic questing, it's also care-taking over long term - stewardship is one word, although I don't like it much, as it rings queer and prissy.