Full Thread: Kosovo
View Single Post
Old April 20th, 2008 #45
Serbian

Default UNMIK will not allow Kosovo Serbs to vote on May 11th

UNMIK will not allow Kosovo Serbs to vote on May 11th

Samardzic’s letter to Ruecker

Quote:
Letter by Serbian Minister for Kosovo Slobodan Samardzic to UNMIK chief Joachim Ruecker.
Thursday, April 17, 2008
...(3) Your position that you could organise the elections (in five said municipalities) only after 11 May 2008 stems from the difficulties I elaborated in points (1) and (2). Therefore in this moment only Serbia and Serbian local authorities in the Province can successfully organise and conduct the elections on 11 May. In this purpose, Serbia promulgated the whole set of required regulation and in accordance with it prepares the electoral process. You as the SRSG would only need to call for the elections. In this way, Serbia respects the mandate of UNMIK and of you personally.

Dear Special Representative,
The worst breach of Resolution 1244 happened on 17 February this year.

In an environment in which the political leadership of Kosovo Albanians entirely violates this binding UN document, and you fail to find neither the strength nor the means to stop this violation, it is only through co-operation with Serbia that you can preserve the dignity of UNMIK, and thus uphold the peace and hope for Serbs in the Province. In this context, the upcoming elections can play a key positive role, just as their postponing or cancellation may have grave negative consequences. Therefore, these elections have a great significance for the Province's Serbs and are the issue of utmost political importance.

Let me remind you that-in regard of illegal proclamation of independence and subsequent events-you took, as you phrased it on several occasions, "a neutral political position". It would have been of great usefulness if you would have also chosen to take such a stance of political neutrality regarding the elections for the Serbian local authorities in the Province. This would need to be the case, especially because of your almost unsolvable legal and political difficulties to organise these elections.

In expectance of your positive response to my request from the letter of 4 April 2008,

''Screw your optics, I'm going in'', American hero Robert Gregory Bowers