View Single Post
Old December 17th, 2022 #615
Stewart Meadows

Quote:
DECEMBER 14, 2022 4:00 PM

Vanderbilt University Coach’s Pro Kanye West Post Violated School Polices, Chancellor Says

by Dion J. Pierre

Rapper Kanye West in North Charleston, South Carolina, U.S. July 19, 2020. REUTERS/Randall Hill/File Photo

Vanderbilt University has determined that a football coach violated school policies when he posted on social media comments supporting Kanye West.

“Kanye is two steps ahead of everyone. He’s not crazy. People try to silence him because he thinks for himself,” defensive backs coach Dan Jackson said on Facebook in November, replying to someone else’s post. “People don’t want that. Rappers and athletes are taught they need to think the same as the media/politicians. If they have an opinion that is opposite the mainstream, they’re called crazy. More people need to wake up and speak their mind.”

An internal investigation found that Jackson’s comments, which went viral and were widely covered by media outlets across the country,”were not discriminatory” but had violated the university’s electronic communications policies, according to a statement issued by athletics chancellor Candice Lee. He has since apologized for making them, claiming that he was unaware that of Kanye West’s antisemitic tirades.

“After being made aware of discriminatory statement made by West, I was sickened to know that my words could be interpreted as hurtful,” Jackson said in a statement shared by the university. “For this I am saddened and apologetic. In no way do I support antisemitism or any form of discrimination, nor do I condone any form of bias.”

In Tuesday’s statement, Vice Chancellor Lee, also denounced antisemitism and announced that Jackson will not return to coaching football this season. He is currently receiving trainings in bias and anti-discrimination, as well as “coaching on leadership and social media use.”

“These sessions will continue throughout the spring semester at a minimum,” Lee added, explaining that Jackson has offered to do more.
https://www.algemeiner.com/2022/12/1...ancellor-says/