View Single Post
Old September 8th, 2007 #17
Gibson

Two main things could be improved: sound quality, and education value.

If the sound is too badly distorted, as some FTLs are, it's just too uncomfortable to listen to, so I fast forward and maybe miss something that should have been important or interesting. Okay, some people listen to all of it, no matter how shitty it sounds, but some people are like me, and skip over half of it.

The main problem with sound quality seems to be in the encoding for the link to shoutcast. Some hosts get it right, but most make it much too loud so the signal gets clipped. For example, here's Stan Sikorski, who always sounds good

Here's a clip from another recent broadcast, which sounded so bad I couldn't listen to it

When the signal gets limited at the top and bottom of the chart like that, it causes massive clipping distortion (crackling, hissing noises). If you want to improve sound quality, ask Stan what he does (what software, software settings, type of mic, how he uses the mic, etc), and do the same.

Then there's education value. Most people have a job, a family and a life, and don't have time to listen to 6 hours of Linder Radio, so if there's something important in the 5th hour, not many people are going to hear it. If you want to educate people about jews, it would be better to have a well planned and focussed talk lasting one hour at the most. Think of it like a college lecture, or use The Teaching Company as a model. If you want to do a little education with 6 hours of "My Favourite Music", make that a separate show.

Just my $0.02