Full Thread: Being vs. Seeming
View Single Post
Old November 20th, 2011 #8
Ty Grant

Default Solo of circumnavigatingation book entitled "Gypsy Moth"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Rouse View Post
Getting back to Donald Crowhurst, the sailor-liar. . .

The documentary kind of pissed me off. I was 1/4 the way through it before it became clear what direction the film was going. By then I was hooked, and I'm glad I stayed for the conclusion.

I think the most irritating thing was the framing of Crowhurst's skullduggery and demise. It was spun as a tragedy, with Crowhurst to be a sympathetic figure. I felt bad for the guy who actually won the race fair-and-square, Knox-Johnston.

His widow and one of his (now middle-aged) sons gave on-camera interviews that were interspersed throughout the film. I didn't dislike them personally, but I felt a certain ick about the whole business. It's something I would be ashamed of, were Crowhurst my father. I wouldn't talk about it and I'd move on with my life. But the wife and son. . .it was like they were still living it, justifying it.

You see this kind on TV all the time. They've dome some gigantic fuck-up. . .now they're on camera grinning or crying about it years after-the-fact. It's not healthy.

Something else that struck me. . .the British culture is so full of pompous crap (witness the most recent royal wedding) that when one of them actually does something, they go absolutely apoplectic with delight--the human version of fainting goats.
I understand fainting goats and that is really funny and true... the issues of sailing with regaurds to philosohy seems fitting for this discussion... a 68 year old mand, whom bythe book is written , details the account of a circumnavigation of the glod via his sailboat in and around 1974... for white studies it is a good read. it really explores the endurence, not out right, the inner working of the white mindand race... supplied with great knowledge and wisom that our people are endowed with this man uses his natural feeling and natural understandings of his world as only a white man can...