Full Thread: Vocabulary book
View Single Post
Old March 20th, 2012 #1
Alex Linder
Administrator

Alex Linder
Default Vocabulary book

Decided to get going on this, which I've mentioned before. It's an idea for a unique type of vocabulary book. I'm mentioning it here in case any of you want to suggest words. In the book I will be not just explaining the meaning of words and using them in sentences, but showing historical, literary and, most important, comedic/ironic/twisted uses of the words. I might even make a few million political points, considering the meta-point is to inculcate in white (children) the ability to use words to destroy stupid arguments and the retarded parrots who make them.

I begin by collecting 1000+ words, most of which I have, but I can always use more, and will eventually whittle. I'm not looking for obsolete words or jargon but for solid words at a certain level. The point is not to collect obscure words for obscurity's braggy sake, but to pull out real and solid words most people are less familiar with but can, once they learn them, actually use. Thus, words of a certain level.

Here's a good sample.

cynosure
locus
excogitations
philistine
sans culottes
gallimaufry
elixir
efflorescence
friable
frangible
fungible
furfuraceous
flocculent
puissance
prepotent
preternatural
trenchant
prosaic
pedestrian
pedantic
bellwether
harbinger
foment
prescience
minatory
gravid
parturient
pristine
precocious
portent
inured
bedizen
tenets
prima facie
probity
veracious
cavalcade
gipe
engender
superfluous
abstruse

So you see many of these words are just slightly less than common, but it's all about the use, not the obscurity or snob value.

You are welcome to thrown in any good words you think of. Chances are I already have it here (I have about 750 right now) but possibly not. If it works, I will use it. Anything i can turn to humor or other 'twisted' usage is best, as these are a little harder to come by. (I will not try the mistaken route Bryant took in making a joke from every term, rather show ways that it can be used beyond denotatively - artistically sums it up, what I'm going to impart to the learner.)

I'm also looking for literary uses of these words. If you have a good citation/quotation, feel free to post it.

What I do not want and will erase from this thread are laundry lists of words. No more than three words per post, and no links, except to document a use in quotation.