Full Thread: For some rocket man
View Single Post
Old February 6th, 2018 #65
Alex Him

Smile

I did not find the English translation of this interview and therefore I tried to translate it myself.

Finnish correspondent: Welcome to Finland!

Yuri Gagarin: Thank you.

FС: Do you think it's easier to ride on a train or to fly in a rocket?

YG: Both of them have their own specific features. It is easier to travel by train in the sense that it does not have large overloads, in contrast to how they occur during a flight in a rocket. But on the other hand the train has a longer ride time and in addition it shakes more than in the rocket. The rocket flies much smoother and calmer than the train rides.

FС: What did you think about when the engines of your rocket got started?

YG: When the jet engines were switched on, the process of launching the satellite into orbit began. At this time, I had to perform a large and strenuous flight program. All my thoughts were aimed at making it as good as possible to make it right and to get as much data as possible from this space flight. Naturally, I had very little the time on the lyrical reflections. There was no time to think about this.

FС: Now when we ride on the train and you can see the sky... Tell us the sky is more beautiful from here or from above?

YG: We are used to that the sky has a blue color. We glorify this color of the sky in our songs and poems. But in space, the sky has a completely different color, unusual for us - the black color. Maybe when we will fly to other planets or even to other stars, then we will like the black color of the sky of a more blue sky, since we will get used to it. And at the moment blue color of the sky is much more pleasant for us.

FС: When you flew into space, did you see our thousands of lakes?

YG: Unfortunately, the orbit of my spaceship did not pass over Finland. And unfortunately I could not see those thousands of lakes with which your country is rich. But if my next flight takes place, then I will try to see these thousands of lakes from above. I hope to see a part of their number being on your land as your guest.

FС: Are you going to fly into space in the near future?

YG: If I am entrusted with such a flight, then I will fly into space. But I do not want to be a monopolist in this matter and I have many friends among cosmonauts who are rushing into space, which all want to fly there. We must give them the opportunity to carry out space flight. And when my turn comes, when I am entrusted with the flight, I'll fly regardless of whether this is a flight around the Earth or flight to the Moon, to Mars, to Venus and maybe even to other stars. I am always ready to the flight and at any time when I am entrusted with the flight I will fly again.

FС: How do your wife and daughters live in Moscow?

YG: My wife and daughters live well. They are healthy and feel fine. My daughters grow up and my wife works. So the family is good, healthy and we all work.

FС: Please tell me the name of your daughters.

YG: My oldest daughter's name is Elena...

FС: How old is she?

YG: Two years and three months. My youngest daughter's name is Galina. Soon she will be four months old.

I ask you to convey my sincere cordial greetings to Finnish viewers and many thanks for those warm encounters, warm words, warm smiles and warm hearts with which they meet representatives of the Soviet Union.