Full Thread: Hummingbirds
View Single Post
Old February 19th, 2018 #8
Susan

Actually, around here in north Georgia, you can keep one feeder up all year in case a few of these little guys hang around over the winter, according to the woman at the wild bird supply store.

I've never seen any of these little guys during winter months personally. The woman at the local wild bird store said to put up one or two feeders about mid March and just see if you notice any birds. As Spring goes on, add more feeders all over your yard.

I messed up last year and didn't put out enough feeders early enough, and I think the little guys went elsewhere. I only saw a small number compared to the year before when every morning there was an airshow for hours of 30-50 hummingbirds.

And despite the issues, I think I am using the red store bought liquid. They sorta turned their noses up at my homemade liquid last year.

Go to Dollar Tree now and buy you a bunch of their plastic clear and red feeders to hang in trees. If you're into feeding them, you can buy one or two bigger and fancier ones that cost more. Walmart carries a good variety of hummingbird feeders and liquid. Don't buy from a wild bird supply store unless you just have money to blow.

I like the wild bird stores but I usually buy items on sale or clearance from them for my garden. Two stores near me are Birdwatcher Supply Co. and Wild Birds Unlimited and they're both nice but items are not inexpensive.

There used to be a locally owned bird supply store near me but the owner closed it.