View Single Post
Old March 19th, 2020 #76
Stewart Meadows

Quote:
Megxit is a major blow for biracial people who saw Meghan as a role model

By David Kaufman
March 14, 2020

When Meghan Markle first announced her engagement to Prince Harry in November 2017, she had no bigger fan than myself. As I wrote at the time, Markle — the outspoken daughter of a black mother and white father — was “the biracial hero I’d always wanted.”
(...)
Not only was Markle open about her struggles fitting in to both communities, she used her unusual profile — actress, socialite, Sussex — as a platform for a subtle, millennial form of progressive politicking at every stage of her evolution. How else to describe a Windsor Castle wedding pairing pomp and protocol with a full gospel choir in May 2018.

Barely six months later, Markle’s transformative powers were on full display when she and the duke visited Fiji and the South Pacific. Unlike during the early part of their tour in Australia, the crowds in Fiji were as brown-hued as Meghan — which made for a potent and unprecedented site: a princess-of-color embracing her subjects-of-color. With a perfectly posed wave and megawatt smile, it was a beautiful act of racial reconciliation after centuries of British colonialism.

Most crucially, on that trip — and on later visits to Africa — Markle stood as a role model for the billions of women (and men) of color who desperately need to see themselves represented at the highest reaches of society. And there is no higher reach than the British Royal Family.

But owing to Megxit, Markle is royal no more and no one could be more disappointed than myself. Because in leaving Britain to chart a path of personal and financial independence, Markle may think she’s freeing herself up to do the work she always wanted, but she’s forgotten one key thing: You can’t be a role model if you don’t have a role. And with her legal drama “Suits” canceled, her lifestyle blog shuttered and the Sussex Royal brand effectively banned by the Queen, Markle desperately needs to find her next gig.
https://nypost.com/2020/03/14/megxit...-a-role-model/