View Single Post
Old September 8th, 2009 #5
Mike in Denver
Enkidu

An absolutely great discussion...maybe the best I've seen on any forum. I think Alex ought to lock it, and only allow himself and Greg Johnson in the thread.

I can't add anything, but I may be able to confirm a few points.

Among the upper middle class and those with pretensions to the upper middle class, there are only two spots along the political spectrum that are acceptable. You can define yourself as middle Democrat liberal or as middle Republican conservative. If you are one of these, you can move with freedom, even among those who take the other fake position. Anything else and you are dead meat.

A friend of mine from Paris made this distinction between Americans and French. It may explain why the French have had a revolution and the Americans have not. The supposed American revolution was just a dispute among bankers and rich land owners, fought by peasants. It was not a revolution.

The French have, according to my friend, three classes...Aristocrats, Petit Bourgeois, and Peasants. Americans do as well, we just don't admit it.

In France the Petit Bourgeois identify with, or at least pretend to identify with, the Peasants. In the United States the Petit Bourgeois identify with the Aristocrats.

This explains why in Paris, if workers kidnap their plant owners over some perceived outrage, a million Parisians will take to the streets in support of the workers. If plant workers in the United States picket a plant that has reneged on pensions, a million TV viewers will cheer the police who club the workers to the ground.

And my own observation...every American believes that someday he will win the lottery. It may not be the buy-a-ticket at the Quickie Mart lottery. It may be a scheme for riches on the web, or any other unrealistic thing, but he too will be rich. This is the worst trait of Americans. It takes their focus off themselves and their fellow peasants, which we truly are, and replaces the focus on the totally unrealistic thought that they should support the Aristocrats and shun the losers, the peasants.

You are not going to win the lottery. If you are poor or working class now, you will likely die poor or working class. I'm 64; I've lived on three continents, and traveled about. I'm very sociable and I have known a whole lot of people in a whole lot of places. I've known exactly four people who when I first knew them were of modest means, but later were rich. Each one of these inherited his new riches from rich families whose money had been made centuries before. They didn't win the lottery,they didn't build a great business or come up with a clever web scheme, and neither will you. They inherited their money from their rich families. If you don't have a rich family, you will almost certainly end up in the same class into which you were born.

All this may seem somewhat off-topic, but I think it isn't. Above I'm only writing about white Americans. I don't give a fig about others. If white Americans can't even support their fellow middle class or working class whites, and if the upper middle class aspire to only support their material position and aspirations to even higher material position...then, what will it take for the middle class or working class to support something as far on the fringe and dangerous as WN?

I don't know. That's why I think Alex should only allow himself and GJ to participate in the thread. I think I'll go buy a lottery ticket.

Mike