VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 24th, 2013 #21
varg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
2. I would like to get the data off my drive. What data recovery program would be right?
Are you sure it's absolutely dead? Just back it up onto a second drive if you can still access it.
Quote:
3. From the above post and for others if they have comments.
I am currently using Windows defender. My computer still seems to be full of silly programs that automatically downloaded. What should I do for security? How can I get rid of all the silly programs like pricegong and such?
They might not show up in Windows Add/Remove program. Use Revo Uninstaller instead : http://download.cnet.com/Revo-Uninst...ml?tag=mncol;1. It also gets rid of any remaining traces of the program that Window's Add/Remove might have missed.

The most important aspects of keeping your Windows computer secure is to:
1) Make sure you have the latest Windows updates. Make sure Java and Flash are up to date too.
2) Don't use Windows XP or anything older. Make sure Windows UAC is enabled (Windows vista,7,8 only)

If you use XP, and it sounds like you do, you have to be extra careful because it's not actively supported and they don't release security updates for it anymore.

3) Use the NoScript browser plugin and only whitelist javascript and adobe flash on trusted websites. Not enough people do this. Java and Flash are insecure and are probably the most likely place you'd get a virus from. Having to whitelist java on sites because the design or certain features won't work otherwise gets annoying but it's worth it in the long run.
4) Run scheduled virus scans. Avast and AVG are good free AntiViruses that were posted above. I use Eset NOD32, though it's only a trial until you purchase it.
5) Run a scheduled antispyware scanner too, like Spybot search& destroy, adaware, etc.
6) Don't run any strange executable files (other than the ones I just recommended. lol)

Last edited by varg; March 24th, 2013 at 07:14 PM. Reason: .

Old March 24th, 2013 #22
Nigel Thornberry
Ole' Cyber Crusher

If you want to simplify your PC experience just get a SSD , a decent ad blocker and a decent spyware scanner. Before I had a SSD I had to actively defrag/CClean to keep the hard drive fast but with 2 SSDs it became a non-issue especially since I keep most of my important programs on the non-OS drive. Besides that everything loads extremely quickly.

Old March 25th, 2013 #23
Crowe

I believe disk defragmenter is set to run automatically by default in Windows 7. Click the windows button and type defrag, should give you a window that says if it has scheduled maintenance or not.

If you are like me and leave your PC running almost 24/7, then it would be a good idea to set a schedule for it to work when you normally aren't using it.

Of course you don't have to bother with that if you got an SSD. You can get a 256gb SSD for around $200, and the price has dropped considerably on those in the last 2 years. Used to be around $500 for 256gb SSDs just 2 years ago, and its dropped to under $1 per GB. Right now 1TB SSDs are still outrageously expensive, about $2500 or so.

Last edited by Crowe; March 25th, 2013 at 02:42 AM.

Old March 25th, 2013 #24
Roy Wagahuski
professional critter

Christ. Windows isn't worth the money and hassle.

Old March 25th, 2013 #25
Fred
Commie Killer

I appreciate the comments.

On the bad drive. It will not access one of the volumes. It simply won't. At least it boots up. You can see the drive in explorer but if I try to select it the computer just hangs. I have ordered a data recovery program that seems to have good reviews.

I also decided to upgrade. While the Computer was a monster when it was built it is almost 5 years old. So I bought a powerful notebook. It is an ASUS G75VW-DH72B 17.3-Inch Laptop. I need the speed and graphics for my work.

The problem I have for some of the annoying software that loaded itself like PriceGong, I don't see it in my add remove programs feature. I will try the software Varg recommended.

Thanks for the Torrent advice. I am new to all of this but I would like to be able to use it.

Last edited by Fred; March 25th, 2013 at 12:58 PM.

Old March 25th, 2013 #26
Crowe

If you got the money Fred, you should invest in a paid VPN service - with no bandwidth limits. Maybe some of the others here can recommend a good one. I've heard a couple people tell me that metropipe pro VPN is pretty good, but I've never tried it myself.

The thing to note about VPNs is they are secure as long as they are active. Your VPN can get disconnected and expose your real IP address, but there are measures you can take that will disconnect you as soon as your VPN disconnects, thus not leaking your real IP. Its likely a good paid VPN service will give you some software that will do that.

Last edited by Crowe; March 25th, 2013 at 02:34 PM.

Old March 25th, 2013 #27
Crowe

Quote:
The problem I have for some of the annoying software that loaded itself like PriceGong, I don't see it in my add remove programs feature. I will try the software Varg recommended.
Is that pricegong bullshit a browser addon? If it is then you won't see it in add/remove programs.

Old March 25th, 2013 #28
Fred
Commie Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
Is that pricegong bullshit a browser addon? If it is then you won't see it in add/remove programs.

Do you think you could tell us more? Like how to get rid of it?

Old March 25th, 2013 #29
varg

What web browser do you use?

You can try using Revo Uninstaller like I linked to above.

According to pricegong's website it's supposed to show up in add/remove, but maybe it will show up on Revo's uninstaller.

If you go to start -> run or windowskey+R and run in "diskmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) does it list your drive that you can't access? Like Disk0, Disk1, Disk2, etc

Old March 25th, 2013 #30
Fred
Commie Killer

I use Firefox. The program does not show up in either Add Remove programs. It must be some kind of attached app? It does not show up in the plug ins. I have searched the net without a solution. I will research some more.

I am pretty sure that part of my drive is bad. The bad volume does show up but the computer locks whenever I try and access it. The computer itself will not boot up unless it runs chckdsk first. It never finishes and takes forever.
I took the drive out. I am assuming it is partially bad. I will use the data retrieval software.

I do appreciate all the help. When problems like this happen it is good to hear what others have to say.

Old March 25th, 2013 #31
varg

Why do you keep ignoring me when I tell you try Revo Uninstaller instead? I've said it probably 3x already.

Old March 25th, 2013 #32
Tim

Disable PriceGong on a browser toolbar
http://www.pricegong.com/How_To_Uninstall_PriceGong.aspx

PriceGong Removal Tool
http://inst.pricegong.com/inst/uninstaller.exe

Old March 25th, 2013 #33
Fred
Commie Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by varg View Post
Why do you keep ignoring me when I tell you try Revo Uninstaller instead? I've said it probably 3x already.
I did load the Revo Uninstaller and ran it. I even commented on it. I did not see the pesky program. I am sure I will have use for it on future problems.

I did appreciate your input.

Old November 7th, 2014 #34
Orazio

Anyone know how to repair damaged pdf and word docs? Mine are damaged, I've got hundreds, and Adobe can't open them telling me they're damaged. My word docs are also unreadable. When I open a Word doc, or try to open a pdf on word I get this:

UOa0vd
>el?˳tсn5 .2u̇LFBO=6J*Є?]'*#kgjj5<#1:5wM
΢ Pf["0[
k + 8X$e;:&ƚ!q7/ZG),}>bYi`f6 VK`ۅPiAGt-0cH9ٹW[V'~$:=,Bo*kДS~LA2c<қ/D:uAW{飽jL[1@m,;*TagE
)3!iQT":zZÆ ߤt\wY2@nɞ3O3!

#P-\,6fP']jp_N6/=kZD}u1DD]f{a¸
^ 9y 94SH
k:rsd:LQ,V<x<T@\ie$ #vQAD
>X8Lz2]{lCȡޤNos
XfAa8nvz!S:>7_v%FNo޽&x8y!r6&52Fu
ޛ1,^xUF%
^:C)**,7K1<EBT;0mFd?BYߑYb}"^I.48uGUCS,`>!r8sQOd>*pr\Oc
o9瘚8H]ϞE&SEu-#a)`Li34e|5!wJ%=* .`ݫXѝd7Xk+<gYG

Old November 24th, 2014 #35
Crowe

Orazio, by chance were those documents stored on a portable USB drive? I don't know the solution to the problem, but that could be a potential cause. I had a resume saved on a USB jump drive, and it was also a PDF file, as well as some W2 forums from previous years, and all that data got corrupted. I was thinking I might have pulled it out without going through the proper steps to shut the device down, and doing so might have corrupted the data. I don't think there is a fix, and if there is, then its probably not an easy one. You can take preventative measures to make sure it doesn't happen again by making multiple backups of important data. Burning disks are better for long term storage, as well as uploading it on the internet to a file hosting website. As long as the later doesn't delete files frequently.

Last edited by Crowe; November 24th, 2014 at 11:10 PM.

Old November 29th, 2014 #36
Orazio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
Orazio, by chance were those documents stored on a portable USB drive? I don't know the solution to the problem, but that could be a potential cause. I had a resume saved on a USB jump drive, and it was also a PDF file, as well as some W2 forums from previous years, and all that data got corrupted. I was thinking I might have pulled it out without going through the proper steps to shut the device down, and doing so might have corrupted the data. I don't think there is a fix, and if there is, then its probably not an easy one. You can take preventative measures to make sure it doesn't happen again by making multiple backups of important data. Burning disks are better for long term storage, as well as uploading it on the internet to a file hosting website. As long as the later doesn't delete files frequently.
Yes. But other docs on my hard drive were corrupted too. I got hit with a virus. I can't forget all those docs, there were hundreds of them. I'm so mad about this.

Old August 29th, 2017 #37
MDK

Boot your computer from your Windows XP Cd or from your 6-disk XP/2000 Boot Disk Set. To do this, insert your CD or Floppy #1 and turn your computer on. When the menu comes up, select boot from CD or boot from floppy (do not select boot from hard drive).
Your computer will begin to boot. Eventually, you will see a screen asking you what you would like to do. Press the ltter R on your keyboard to proceed to the Windows Recovery Console.
As you progress to the Recovery Console you may be asked which partition you would like to boot into. Type the number associated with the partition containing your NTFS partition (usually 1 or 2) and then press enter to continue. You may be asked for your administrator password. If you have one, type it in and press enter. If you do not have a password to boot your computer into Windows, simply press enter.
Now youshould be at a command prompt. from here, typr the following command without the quotes and press enter: “chkdsk /p”
This is a short test that will tell you whether or not a longer test is needed. If after the test completes, the message “One or more errors detected on the volume” appears, then proceed to step 6. If no errors are reported, then your drive can not be repaired using chkdsk.
Now you should be back at the command prompt. Type the following command without the quotes and press enter: “chkdsk /r”
This test will take a while depending on the size of your drive. It will look for the errors on your drive and repair them. When it completes, you will be back at a command prompt.
Now type “chkdsk /p” again and press enter. If no errors are reported, your drive has been successfully repaired and is safe to use again temporarily. If errors are still reported, then your drive is on its last leg. You may be able to boot it now though.
Remove the floppy disk or CD from your system and restart the PC. Take a moment now to back up your important data.

This is the main one command prompt and chkdsk /p

Tags
computer, support, tech

Thread