VNN Broadcasts

Old March 13th, 2011 #361
Swede
morsning korsning

Oh really? Seems like a women to me.

Old April 21st, 2011 #362
Marse Supial
Creepy-Ass Cracker

It's an old-fashioned term you don't hear much anymore: "Hero Sandwich". Another name for a sub, basically. If you were born before 1970 in the south, you call them "hero" sandwiches; after 1970 you'll call them subs.

My boys are starting to discover the fun in cooking and lately we have been designing Hero sandwiches for lunch on Saturdays. The little one piped up and asked me who the "hero" was that the sandwiches were named after, so I came up with a name for the different kind of sandwiches that we make. I have as much fun naming the sandwiches for them as we do making them and eating them. They have no idea that I make this shit up as I go along.

So here's some sandwich ideas. They all start with a good quality yeast roll or french-bread sub roll from a delicatessen or a local white-owned bakery:

The James Earl Ray:

Honey baked ham, smoked turkey and Swiss cheese. Split the sub roll and really pile the meat on, alternating so you have layers of ham and turkey. Top it with Swiss cheese and put it in the oven broiler to melt the cheese and toast the inside of the sub roll. Cut it in half and serve with honey mustard dressing for dipping.

The John Wilkes Booth:

Add bacon to the above.

The Jefferson Davis:

Get some good quality deli-made franks. Let them come to room temperature. Blacken them in a heavy black skillet by first getting the skillet really hot, split the franks open end to end and cooking them until they get a slight char on each side. Put a couple of them on the sub roll with dijon mustard and saurkraut. My kids actually like saurkraut.

The Robert E. Lee: Get a butcher to cut some boneless ribeye steaks about 1/8 inch thick -- really thin sliced. Grill them to medium rare or medium on a charcoal fire and put them on the sub roll and top with chunks of blue cheese. Broil the sandwich open faced to melt the cheese. Make a simple sauce by mixing up catsup and worstershire sauce. Horse radish is good on this too, but kids generally don't care for it, so add or leave that off according to preference.

The Alex Linder: This one is a work in progress. Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking something along the lines of a grilled tilapia filet topped with some chunk crab meat, tartar sauce and a shot or two of Tabasco to taste. This would be best on the French roll type bread. Maybe add lettuce, tomato & mayo?

The quality of the bread is really important for a good sandwich, so make your own or get it from a bakery or deli. Something about sandwich meat, the thinner it is sliced the better it seems to taste and the more tender it is. So ask the deli to slice it paper thin for you.

Last edited by Marse Supial; April 21st, 2011 at 04:51 PM.

Old April 21st, 2011 #363
Mike in Denver
Enkidu

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Lee View Post
...Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking something along the lines of a grilled tilapia filet topped with some chunk crab meat, tartar sauce and a shot or two of Tabasco to taste.
Ideas? I think you just about got it. Maybe some finely chopped green onions mixed with the crab and tarter sauce. But don't blend the Tabasco into the sauce. I like to see the red drops of Tabasco sauce on the food - best hot sauce ever made.

Mike

Old April 22nd, 2011 #364
Brooklyn Rick

Default Something different

Brooklyn rabbit with white wine sour cream gravy

3 heaping tbs. flour
A big pinch of sea salt
A big pinch black pepper
A pinch of nutmeg
2 Brooklyn rabbits, skinned,cleaned,cut up
half stick butter
Some vegtable oil
1/2 (heavy) cup white wine
some water
1 finely chopped oni
1/3(heavy) sour cream

In a large shaker bag, mix the flour, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and Brooklyn rabbit; shake to mix. Dont toss out remaing mixture.
In a big skill

et, coat the bottom with a thin film of oil, add butter, and cook over med. low heat. Add rabbit pieces along with the remaining mixture you saved .Brown rabbit pieces over meduim heat. Add white wine and a nice splash of water Add onion and bay leaf.
Heat to almost boiling. Reduce heat; cover. Simmer till meat is tender, figure an hour or so then stir in the sour cream. If you wish to add mushrooms you should do so at this time.

Old April 22nd, 2011 #365
Marse Supial
Creepy-Ass Cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Rick View Post
Brooklyn rabbit with white wine sour cream gravy

3 heaping tbs. flour
A big pinch of sea salt
A big pinch black pepper
A pinch of nutmeg
2 Brooklyn rabbits, skinned,cleaned,cut up
half stick butter
Some vegtable oil
1/2 (heavy) cup white wine
some water
1 finely chopped oni
1/3(heavy) sour cream

In a large shaker bag, mix the flour, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and Brooklyn rabbit; shake to mix. Dont toss out remaing mixture.
In a big skill

et, coat the bottom with a thin film of oil, add butter, and cook over med. low heat. Add rabbit pieces along with the remaining mixture you saved .Brown rabbit pieces over meduim heat. Add white wine and a nice splash of water Add onion and bay leaf.
Heat to almost boiling. Reduce heat; cover. Simmer till meat is tender, figure an hour or so then stir in the sour cream. If you wish to add mushrooms you should do so at this time.
Sounds excellent. So, what's a Brooklyn Rabbit as opposed, say, to a South Mississippi rabbit?

Old April 22nd, 2011 #366
MikeTodd
Pussy Bünd "Commander"

Quote:
Sounds excellent. So, what's a Brooklyn Rabbit as opposed, say, to a South Mississippi rabbit?

Old April 22nd, 2011 #367
Brooklyn Rick

Talking

Quote:
A Brooklyn rabbit is a very elusive critter. You get em at the pet store!

Old July 12th, 2011 #368
Ty Grant

Default Skunk cabbage booty

SKUNK CABBAGE BOOTY
From
SHOOTS AND GREENS OF EARLY SPRING
in Northeastern North America
Here’s a great skunk cabbage recipe you can make in a survival situation, or if you have no money and can’t buy food. It’s easy to make, and only calls for 5 ingredients.
4 cups vegetable stock or water
4 cups young skunk cabbage leaves
1 boot
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Boil the skunk cabbage in the water or stock with the salt and pepper for 1 hour. Stir occasionally.

2. Throw out the skunk cabbage!

3. Eat the boot!

Serves 4 to 6

Preparation time: 1 hour

Nauseates 4 to 6
Preparation time: 20 minutes

Old July 12th, 2011 #369
Ty Grant

Default My holiday will be with a Goose and some Blackberry Jam Mom is cooking up and canning: You will see some pics too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSanguine View Post
Sounds delicious!

When I refer to the Holiday Season here, I'm talking about the start of our winter and festive season with our Thanksgiving(which you don't have), Christmas, and end it with the New Year.

Thanksgiving is usually a gigantic meal with lots of friends and family. A turkey stuffed with oyster dressing, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, pecan and pumpkin pies, etc., etc., etc.....

My sister's boyfriend is from New Zealand .... He's still trying to get used to the different kind of culture we have here, and can't get over how many nigs.

The grocery stores will be packed today... I dread going, but I must.

Wild Blackberries
(Rubus species)
Blackberry PDF

From Stalking the Wild Dandelion
A Guide to Wild Edible Plants for Parents
and Teachers to Use With Children

A new, as yet unpublished, work-in-progress.

Common Blackberry Branch

In the second half of the summer these superb berries ripen successively over a period of weeks.

Description:

Tall, thorny, arching cane with palmate-compound leaves, white, 5-petaled flowers and familiar fruit; flowers white to pinkish, 5-petaled, radially-symmetrical 3/4 inch across, with many bushy stamens, in loose clusters; fruit aggregate, black, elliptical, faceted, 1/2 to 1-1/2 inches long; leaves palmate-compound, up to 7 inches long, 3 to 7-parted, leaflets sharply toothed, up to 2 inches long; stem biennial cane trailing or up to 9 feet tall, arching, reddish-brown, sharply thorny; roots perennial.

Wild blackberries are like the ones you buy, but better. Among the best-known berries in America, you can find them wherever you live. The toothed leaves are compound —divided into segments, called leaflets. Since the leaflets, like your fingers, originate from a point rather than a line, the leaves are called palmate-compound. Each leaf usually has 3-7 sharply-toothed leaflets.

Common Blackberry in Flower

These open flowers are available to any nectar-seeking insects, whether or not they're effective pollinators.

In the spring, sweet-smelling, white, 5-petaled, radially-symmetrical flowers about as wide as a quarter drape the bushes.

Common Blackberry Flowers

Note the many bushy pollen-containg (male) stamens surrounding the central (female) pistils.

The fruit, which ripens from mid-summer to early fall, goes from green to red to black.

Common Blackberry with Ripe and Unripe Fruit

Note: On the upper left, unlike raspberries, there's no receptacle protruding from the stem after the fruit has been removed.
The berry is really made up of lots of tiny, round, shiny berries stuck together—an aggregate fruit. Each tiny berry in the cluster has its own seed, so one animal eating one fruit spreads many seeds.

Common Blackberry Branch With Berries

Beware of the sharp, curved thorns, and of poison ivy, which has similar leaves and often grows along with blackberries.

People sometimes confuse raspberry fruits with blackberries. A raspberry is hollow. When you pick it, it leaves a cone-shaped receptacle behind.

Wineberry (a species of raspberry) Receptacle

Note: Blackberries lack these.

The receptacle comes off along with the blackberry, so it's never hollow.

Blackberry branches’ edges are flattened, not round like raspberries. Along with the very sharp thorns, this makes them easy to recognize out of season, so you’ll know where to collect the following summer.

Mulberries, also edible, resemble blackberries, but they grow on thornless trees, not thorny canes, in late spring and early summer.

Look for blackberries in thickets, along roadsides and the trail edges, in fields, on mountains, in young woodlands, and near the seashore.

Blackberry Picker in a Thicket

Some species grow taller than an adult, others trail along the ground. Even thornless species grow cultivated in some parks and gardens.

Cut-leaf Blackberry

This tasty European species is commonly planted in urban and suburban parks. It has more deeply-cut leaves than the American common blackberry. The ripe fruit is large and sweet.

Dewberries

This blackberry species, which comes into season weeks earlier than its relatives, trails the ground. The fruit is wonderful!

Dewberry Flower

This flower is very similar to that of the common blackberry.

These brambles bear such sharp thorns, people used to plant them, along with hawthorns, along boundaries:

Go plough up, or delve up, advised with skill,
The breadth of a ridge, and in length as ye will,
Then speedily quickset, for a fence ye will draw
To sow in the seed of the bramble and haw.

—Thomas Tusser

Pick berries that come off the bush easily. These are the ripest and tastiest. Eat as is, add to cereal, drinks, pies, cakes, fruit sauces, or fruit salads. Try creating your own blackberry recipes.

Caution: Kids who race recklessly for the best berries often get scratched. Wear old clothes when you collect. The thorns may tear them, and the berries, which are good for dyeing, may stain clothing.

Poison ivy often grows near blackberries, and they looks somewhat similar, but poison ivy always has three leaflets, no teeth on the leaf margins, and no thorns.

My berries cluster black and thick
For rich and poor alike to pick.
I’ll tear your dress, and cling, and tease,
And scratch your hand and arms and
knees.
I’ll stain your fingers and your face,
And then I’ll laugh at your disgrace.
But when the bramble-jelly’s made,
You’ll find your trouble well repaid.

—THE SONG OF THE BLACKBERRY QUEEN
by Cicely Mary Barker

THE DEVIL AND THE BLACKBERRIES
English Legend

The English tell you never to eat blackberries after early autumn. Here’s why: When the Devil was kicked out of Heaven on October 11, he landed, cursing and screaming, on a thorny blackberry bush.

That really hurt!

He avenges himself on the same day every year by spitting on the berries, which makes them inedible. (Some people say he pees on the blackberries!) He avenges himself on the same day every year by peeing on the berries, which makes them unfit for human consumption.

THE BLACKBERRY BUSH, THE CORMORANT, AND THE BAT
—English Folk Tale
Once upon a time, a cormorant (a seabird that dives for fish), a bat, and a blackberry bush entered the wool business together, buying, shipping, and selling wool.

Clipper Ship

Unfortunately, their ship, loaded with wool, sank on its first voyage, and their business went belly-up. (This was before you could declare chapter 11 — bankruptcy).

Ever since, the cormorant dives into the sea looking for the ship. The bat hides from his creditors in a cave, venturing forth only after dark. And the blackberry bush grabs wool from any passing sheep, trying to replace his loss.

Cormorant Drying its Wings After an Unsuccessful Dive

The blackberry is also the symbol of envy, lowliness, and remorse. This is because its thorns can catch you, trip you up, and hold on to you.

Blackberry bushes and other brambles can take over a habitat and choke out other plants, the way an greedy person may try to take things from others. So people in Shakespeare's day called lawyers bramble bushes, because they grab on to you and don't let go until they've drawn blood. Seems like these brambles haven't changed much in 500 years!

Don't get caught up in this type of bramble!

Blackberries are such important plants in our environment and such a delicious wild food, I don’t mind the thorns.

People would use blackberry bushes to magically cure whooping cough: They’d pass the victim under the arching bramble seven times, reciting:

In bramble, out cough.
Here I leave the whooping cough.

Foraging for Blackberries
An article by "Wildman"
Early American Life Magazine, August 2006

Foraging for Brambles
An article by "Wildman"
Vegetarian Journal, Issue 3, 2006

Wild Blackberry Recipes
Foraging for Blackberries, More Excerpts From This Book, Other Books, More Plants, Home, Back to the Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSanguine View Post
Sounds delicious!

When I refer to the Holiday Season here, I'm talking about the start of our winter and festive season with our Thanksgiving(which you don't have), Christmas, and end it with the New Year.

Thanksgiving is usually a gigantic meal with lots of friends and family. A turkey stuffed with oyster dressing, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, pecan and pumpkin pies, etc., etc., etc.....

My sister's boyfriend is from New Zealand .... He's still trying to get used to the different kind of culture we have here, and can't get over how many nigs.

The grocery stores will be packed today... I dread going, but I must.

Old July 13th, 2011 #370
colleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
YouTube - gordon ramsey flips out

Oh really? Seems like a women to me.
I have such a crush on Gordan Ramsey! I think it has a lot to do with his command of authority and wants everything perfect and wont sell anything half assed!

Old July 22nd, 2011 #371
Marse Supial
Creepy-Ass Cracker

Sassafras Tea: Sassafras is the primary flavor you taste when you drink rootbeer. The flavor comes from safrole, which is the oil of the sassafras tree and it is most concentrated in the roots of the tree -- thus root beer. These are some sassafras roots I harvested recently:

Sassafras trees are unique in that they have 3 different types of leaves on them:

Oval shaped, mitten shaped and 3 point. The trees are most easily found by looking for little saplings which have almost exclusively mitten shaped leaves. Then, the big tree standing next to it with mostly 3 points and and a few ovals and mittens is the tree you get the roots from. Dig around the base of the tree to uncover some roots and then use a hatchet to cut a couple off.

Clean all the dirt off the roots under running water with a stiff brush. Some of them just won't come clean, so you shave the bark off down to the bare root on those.

Put a bunch of them in a pot and bring to a rolling boil. Turn off the heat and let them steep for 10 mins or so until you have something that looks like weak tea. Sweeten to taste. A drop or two of vanilla extract is good in there too. Some folks like it hot, some cold. It's good either way.

Put the roots in a freezer bag and freeze them. They're good for 3 or 4 batches of tea.

I've got some making now and I'll post some pictures of the final product.

Last edited by Marse Supial; July 23rd, 2011 at 09:07 AM.

Old August 29th, 2011 #372
Josh Smith

Quote:
Sassafras Tea: Sassafras is the primary flavor you taste when you drink rootbeer. The flavor comes from safrole, which is the oil of the sassafras tree and it is most concentrated in the roots of the tree -- thus root beer. These are some sassafras roots I harvested recently:

Sassafras trees are unique in that they have 3 different types of leaves on them:

Oval shaped, mitten shaped and 3 point. The trees are most easily found by looking for little saplings which have almost exclusively mitten shaped leaves. Then, the big tree standing next to it with mostly 3 points and and a few ovals and mittens is the tree you get the roots from. Dig around the base of the tree to uncover some roots and then use a hatchet to cut a couple off.

Clean all the dirt off the roots under running water with a stiff brush. Some of them just won't come clean, so you shave the bark off down to the bare root on those.

Put a bunch of them in a pot and bring to a rolling boil. Turn off the heat and let them steep for 10 mins or so until you have something that looks like weak tea. Sweeten to taste. A drop or two of vanilla extract is good in there too. Some folks like it hot, some cold. It's good either way.

Put the roots in a freezer bag and freeze them. They're good for 3 or 4 batches of tea.

I've got some making now and I'll post some pictures of the final product.
They USE to be the flavoring of rootbeer, now its all artificial as the FDA has banned the use of sassafras roots in food/drink. Studies show that is causes cancer....in rats, as well as liver damage.........in rats. Not saying I believe any of it......an IBC rootbeer does sound great right now though.

Old August 29th, 2011 #373
Marse Supial
Creepy-Ass Cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_DeSpain View Post
They USE to be the flavoring of rootbeer, now its all artificial as the FDA has banned the use of sassafras roots in food/drink. Studies show that is causes cancer....in rats, as well as liver damage.........in rats. Not saying I believe any of it......an IBC rootbeer does sound great right now though.
Yeah, I had read that. Artificial sasafrass. That's bound to be better for you than the natural stuff. But people have been drinking it for hundreds of years, so I took it with a grain of salt. I smoke, I drink whiskey, I drink coffee, I eat eggs, I eat red meat, I eat fried red meat -- with salt on it --if you can believe that. And not that pussy, low sodium salt either. The hard stuff. Hell, I even butter my biscuits with real butter . . . . all that bad stuff. So if a cup of sassafras tea 4 or 5 times a year is going to kill me, it'll have to get in line.

Old August 29th, 2011 #374
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Yeah, I had read that. Artificial sasafrass. That's bound to be better for you than the natural stuff. But people have been drinking it for hundreds of years, so I took it with a grain of salt. I smoke, I drink whiskey, I drink coffee, I eat eggs, I eat red meat, I eat fried red meat -- with salt on it --if you can believe that. And not that pussy, low sodium salt either. The hard stuff. Hell, I even butter my biscuits with real butter . . . . all that bad stuff. So if a cup of sassafras tea 4 or 5 times a year is going to kill me, it'll have to get in line.
Salt is my favorite food group. I don't have high blood pressure either, I've always suspected the claim they're linked is bs. You know, if you get bit by a rattlesnake, there's not much doubt what it squeezed into your arm is causing you the problems that come right afterward. I mean, it's so obvious only a Chesterton could doubt it. But for many, most?, other claims, there's maybe 1-2 very weak associations which are transformed by journalist morons, to be redundant, and interested grant applicants (ie, people dressed like scientists), into a great and all-threatening connection.

Old February 22nd, 2012 #375
ray bateson
baппed

Lumpenprole kibble & bitz. For our kind, this is fine-dining.

Last edited by ray bateson; February 22nd, 2012 at 12:27 AM.

Old May 11th, 2012 #376
ray bateson
baппed

Traditional alaska breakfast.

Old May 11th, 2012 #377
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Smith View Post
Dried, powdered, Sassafrass leaves are also be used to make Cajun gumbo file, which is an ingredient in the gumbo roux or base to which other ingredients are added.

Here is my personal recipe for Alabama Hillbilly Gumbo:

1 cup of chopped/diced celery

1 large onion, diced

1 large bell pepper, diced

1 pound of cured uncooked ham, diced

3 pounds of good quality spicy andoullie sausage, cut into sliced rounds

1 large or 2 regular cans of diced tomatoes (preferably the cajun-seasoned kind).

1 can of rotelle/diced tomatoes with green chillies

1 can of whole kernel yellow corn

2 cans of cooked okra or 1 bag of frozen sliced okra

2 large cans of chicken broth

2 boxes of cajun gumbo with rice mix

1 package of Louisiana gumbo mix powder

creole seasoning and tabasco sauce to taste.

Slice and cook the andouille smoked sausage until done, drain and rinse.

Combine the chopped onions, bell pepper, celery, okra, corn, tomatoes, diced ham and sliced sausage into a LARGE pot along with the chicken broth. Do not drain the juice from the canned vegetables, simply add it along with them into the chicken stock.

Bring to a boil and simmer for an hour to 90 minutes, then add the gumbo powder and the two boxes of gumbo mix with rice into the pot. Cook on low heat stirring occassionally for another 30-45 minutes until the rice is soft and done. Season to taste with creole seasoning and tabasco sauce.

Here are some of the things you will need:

3 packs of this:

2 boxes of this:

1 bag of this:

2-3 cans of this:

2 cans of this:

1 can of this:

A dash or two of these:

And here is the finished product:

Last edited by Steven L. Akins; May 11th, 2012 at 04:35 PM.

Old July 21st, 2012 #378
Roy Wagahuski
professional critter

Naga_Bhut_Jolokia Naga_Bhut_Jolokia
salsa with tortilla strips.

My tongue fails to see what all the fuss is about.

Old September 29th, 2013 #379
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Just did a search of this forum, and haven't found any recipes for squirrel. Don't suppose anybody has one that they really like? Sure, there are plenty available online, but I'd prefer one that somebody has actually tried before.

Growing up, I always cooked them one of two ways.

#1 Spitted on a stick over the camp fire, with a little salt, pepper, and garlic (my preferred method).
#2 Crock pot using chicken broth for stock, onions, garlic cloves, potatoes, carrots, and celery.

Anybody have any suggestions/recommendations?

Old September 30th, 2013 #380
Crowe

I know that squirrel meat is tough, meaning its really easy to cook it and turn in into a piece of shoe leather.

Maybe you can try beating it with a meat tenderizer, marinating it overnight, and cutting it up and putting it on a kebab over the grill? I ate squirrel kebabs before at a cookout, and they were really good. Squirrel meat seems perfect for that sorta thing.

Squirrel also has a gaminess to it, that I really don't like that much, which means I prefer a whole lot of seasoning or marinade on it.

I use Dale's sauce on a bunch of types of meat, and it works great on meat from wild game like venison, coon, rabbit, possum or squirrel.

If you use Dale's as a marinate, meaning let it sit overnight, its not a bad idea to dilute it with a little bit of water and a few drops of white vinegar.

Another option is a pressure cooker. You can get the same results as with a crock pot, just quicker. I ended up retiring my crock pot after getting a pressure cooker. If you pressure cook the meat, you don't have to marinate it prior, just dump some spices/sauce in with the water mix. Stronger the sauce mix to water ratio, the more flavor in the meat. You have to use more spices/sauce in a pressure cooker than you would in a crock pot, because a lot of it evaporates.

Last edited by Crowe; September 30th, 2013 at 10:53 PM.

Tags
#1, cooking, food, recipe

Thread