VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old August 4th, 2009 #1
Alex Linder
Administrator

Default Tips That Actually Work

Problem: you've bought a bunch of peaches but they're hard as rocks.

Solution: wrap them in a kitchen towel, wait about 36 hours. Perfect.

Old August 4th, 2009 #2
Mike in Denver
Enkidu

There is another thread going on milk. Here is a tip on milk.

You buy a gallon of milk. Of course, it's whole milk. It starts to go sour. Don't throw it away. Use it for biscuits and pancakes. Everyone in the South does this. (Or used to.) The biscuits and pancakes are unbelievable. It is, or was, common to let some milk go sour on purpose for this.

Mike

Old September 12th, 2009 #3
Stronza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Denver View Post
There is another thread going on milk. Here is a tip on milk.

You buy a gallon of milk. Of course, it's whole milk. It starts to go sour. Don't throw it away. Use it for biscuits and pancakes. Everyone in the South does this. (Or used to.) The biscuits and pancakes are unbelievable. It is, or was, common to let some milk go sour on purpose for this.

Mike
Pasteurized milk in a container from the store does not make nice sour milk if left too long. It just rots and smells and tastes worse than shit.

However, untampered-with, unpasteurized milk that sits too long does indeed make a nice tasting food that can be used as you say.

Old October 8th, 2009 #4
COTW
Overseer

Default Okra

Okra has a secret.

As a plant native to west Africa it is commonly believed to have reached the new world during the slave trafficking era. So at one point in the past a captain of a slave ship asked what the slaves would eat and somebody in times past presented him with okra which was brought back with the slaves.

Now funny thing this okra, sometimes it doesn't produce. It just takes the nutrients from the soil and grows but doesn't produce. So you need to whip out a stick and beat it! Yep, you saw that right, you need to beat it to make it grow the okra. Evidently it wounds the plant enough to kickstart an urgent need to procreate before death.

So, coincidental?

The origin of this post derived from this post from OD. Thanks roho.

"The very aim and end of our institutions is just this: that we may think what we like and say what we think."

-Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Old October 8th, 2009 #5
N.B. Forrest

After cutting up an onion, use salt to get the eye-watering funk off your hands.

Old October 8th, 2009 #6
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker oftheWhip View Post
Okra has a secret.
I made the mistake of letting my okra pods get to large. Several were 5 to 7 inches in length. I tried cooking about 8 pieces yesterday and after more than an hour it was still tough and fibrous.

I think I read where 4 inches is about right. I think it's more about being on the vine as opposed to its size.

Old October 9th, 2009 #7
Josh Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B. Forrest View Post
After cutting up an onion, use salt to get the eye-watering funk off your hands.
Stainless steel also works very well, for any smell, just rub your hands on wet stainless steel, you can use a spoon or something of the sort or buy the bar of soap shaped one.

Old February 9th, 2011 #8
Swede
morsning korsning

* To remove onionsmell pull the hands to something that is made of stainless steel, such as a pan or sink.

* Peel many onions? Add the onions in hot water to loosen the shell easier.

* Microwave the bottle of honey to get the last one in the bottom. Like 5 sec.

* Put the creampackage on the stove a few seconds to get the fat in the bottom.

* Go for real cream and sour cream / yogurt, use less instead of light. Get out and walk if you are afraid to be fat.

* Do not follow recipes like a slave, it is your food and your taste buds.

* When you hang up your knives on magnetic strips remember to wipe them thoroughly before, and to hang them with the tip downwards. Otherwise it runs easily into water by the handle and blade roast in there.

* If you are making tomato sauce or any dish with tomatoes, add a little sugar to not get the tomato to taste sour and disgusting.

* Never place an empty pan on a hot plate.

* Use spring onions instead of regular onion or where there is access. Milder and better taste.

Old February 10th, 2011 #9
ray bateson
baппed

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B. Forrest View Post
Sodium bicarbonate or baking soda is a natural antacid.

After handling very hot peppers, like habaneros, the capsaicin residues will burn for hours and are highly irritating to the mucus membranes or other sensitive areas, and can't be removed with ordinary detergents and water. Create a paste of baking soda with water and rub the hands thoroughly, then rinse. The oils have been completely neutralized.

Gastroesophageal acid reflux, aka "heartburn," may be relieved by baking soda. One or two teaspoons mixed with saliva and swallowed. Though a wetted fingertip-full provides an effective dose for most occasions.

Milk is the traditional chaser, but swishing with baking soda gives more effective and immediate relief after even the spiciest foods.

Vomiting is very destructive to the teeth. Sick children and those who can't handle their booze should rinse with a thick solution of baking soda after every toilet trip.

Old February 10th, 2011 #10
N.B. Forrest

I sometimes suffer monstrous pain from gas pressing against my diaphragm that causes vomiting. I tried the baking soda, but it didn't work for me. Simethecone gas pills? A sick joke.

I bought a bottle of activated charcoal powder for the next bout. We shall see..

Thread