VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old August 24th, 2018 #1
alex revision

Default Salt of the Alps: ancient Austrian mine holds Bronze Age secrets

Salt of the Alps: ancient Austrian mine holds Bronze Age secrets

All mines need regular reinforcement against collapse, and Hallstatt, the world's oldest salt mine perched in the Austrian Alps, is no exception.

But Hallstatt isn't like other mines.

Exploited for 7,000 years, the mine has yielded not only a steady supply of salt but also archaeological discoveries attesting to the existence of a rich civilisation dating back to the early part of the first millennium BC.

https://phys.org/news/2018-08-salt-a...ronze.html#jCp

Old August 25th, 2018 #2
ColdFire
Banned

An ancient civilisation dwelling in the mountains ?

Hmmmm . .

Just kidding of course . .

No , it wouldn't surprise me at all if the the Alp region had been inhabited for longer than assumed and , I might add , if the inhabitants even back then had been Aryans . .

Aryans , throughout history , have tamed deserts , drained everglades and also conquered mountains . .

Draining of the Oderbruch swamp region in the 18th century under Friedrich II. von Preussen . .

Cross on top of an Alpine mountain demonstrating its scaling by a mountaineer . .

The Alp region has always been some kind of link between Northern Europe and Southern Europe ( Mediterranean region ) . .

Even we in Northern Europe ( I live on the Northern German plain ) . .

. . have some 'hot air' straight from the Mediterranean coming to us from time to time . .
The reason is the Föhn wind coming over the Alps straight from the Mediterranean below them , transporting hot air even towards Northern Europe . .

lol , on a peculiar note let it be noted for non-German speaking lurkers that in German a hairdryer . .

. . apart from the German word 'Haartrockner' is also called 'Fön' , in reference to the hot Alpine wind . .

Thread