Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old September 4th, 2017 #21
Rolf

https://medium.com/@getongab/we-are-...t-426629fba4bf

Gab's domain name registrar is threatening to take down their domain unless they remove Anglin's offensive image.

According to Torba there is no registrar in existence that allows full freedom of speech, which means that the entire Internet is forbidden from making offensive statements about race, gender, etc.

Sounds like Torba knew all along that he couldn't keep his promise of free speech. Torba is talking about using blockchain technology to create a censorship proof platform, which is just a bunch of bullshit because we already have TOR.

It's unclear if Gab would fizzle out if it switched to TOR, only one way to find out.

Old September 4th, 2017 #22
Robbie Key

What about playing a low profile from time to time?

Old September 4th, 2017 #23
N.B. Forrest

The kikes & their Silicon Valley commie cunts who have a stranglehold on the internet are colluding to end free speech. The government needs to break the god damned insufferable scum by designating the infrastructure a public utility; I have a very hard time seeing the cuck CONgress vermin who joined the shitlibs in damning the Whites at C'ville and who've labeled James Fields a murderer before his trial doing it.....

"The man who does not exercise the first law of nature—that of self preservation — is not worthy of living and breathing the breath of life." - John Wesley Hardin

Old September 4th, 2017 #24
Alex Linder
Administrator

it's just garbage, they are complaining about legal material

this "hate" bullshit has gone on long enough, it has no meaning whatever except stuff The Cult Led By Jews doesn't want online

all this is recent, and none of the demands means anything, no way to satisfy it. if they keep pushing, they can get Gab or any site shut down

i dont know enough to judge whether a free-speech registrar can be created, or what that would require

Old September 4th, 2017 #25
Alex Linder
Administrator

Old September 4th, 2017 #26
N.B. Forrest

"Registrars"; "registry operators"; ICANN.....this ridiculously complex clusterfuck of a system had to have been created by autistics & idiot savants.....

The bottom line is that this literal handful of smirking commie cunts cannot be allowed to control what can be said on the internet.

"The man who does not exercise the first law of nature—that of self preservation — is not worthy of living and breathing the breath of life." - John Wesley Hardin

Old September 4th, 2017 #27
N.B. Forrest

The ONLY "terms of service" they should be allowed is Brandenburg v. Ohio. We're not just talking about a single site; these cocksuckers are colluding to block the entire fucking highway.

Old September 4th, 2017 #28
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B. Forrest View Post
"Registrars"; "registry operators"; ICANN.....this ridiculously complex clusterfuck of a system had to have been created by autistics & idiot savants.....

The bottom line is that this literal handful of smirking commie cunts cannot be allowed to control what can be said on the internet.
it's a little hard to understand. it's new and not new.

VNN was chased off a REGISTRAR (if i recall correctly) over 10 years ago. It was dotster. i dont see how registrars can be making political decisions, they're just supposed to keep the URLs straight.

hosts are another matter. All hosts i have ever come across will yield to leftist pressure. in the past, the leftists would usually quit after 1 or 2 tries. for the last ten years they seem to have left hosts mostly alone. now they're reheating it, and hounding sites across multiple hosts. and in case of DS and SF entirely off the internet.

the left will say they're just doing the alinsky thing of holding these companies to their TOS, but that's a lie. you can pressure these companies from the right, they won't do a thing. leftist posters are far worse than nazis when it comes to posting stuff against TOS, but as on twitter, they are free to run with all manner of illegal threats

TOS has no real meaning because it's selectively applied to the extent it includes intelligible restrictions, and it always includes a sweeper - an equivalent of "we reserve the right to refuse service for any reason."

so the upshot seems to be that whites will have to form or acquire their own registrar. how that would be gone about, i dont know.

Last edited by Alex Linder; September 4th, 2017 at 07:03 PM.

Old September 4th, 2017 #29
N.B. Forrest

In the US it ought to be simple: the 1st Amendment rules here; if you're going to get into the internet infrastructure business, you WILL NOT be allowed to fuck with people exercising that right, except when it comes to the very few, explicitly defined LEGAL violations.

Where are the court injunctions? The god damned muu-muued fags usually leap to thrust their noses into everyone's business, including into Trump's prerogative to control who gets into the country.....

Old September 4th, 2017 #30
N.B. Forrest

Quote:
so the upshot seems to be that whites will have to form or acquire their own registrar. how that would be gone about, i dont know.
Who knows how many millions that would take. And who, among a group many of whom are banned even from shit like Paypal, could get it from any (((bank)))?

Old September 4th, 2017 #31
Rolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
the left will say they're just doing the alinsky thing of holding these companies to their TOS, but that's a lie. you can pressure these companies from the right, they won't do a thing.
I think that might be in part due to the left and ring wing mindset being so different. Many of these Antifa guys appear to be complete and utter creeps who derive a sick sense of pleasure from pestering people. They're a different breed.

Quote:
TOS has no real meaning because it's selectively applied to the extent it includes intelligible restrictions, and it always includes a sweeper - an equivalent of "we reserve the right to refuse service for any reason."
It appears domain registrars are required by ICANN to investigate all complaints regarding illegal activity and respond to each complaint. I suspect ICANN enforces this policy, so when a thousand complaints come in each day a registrar might be forced to spend $2000 a day in labor to handle them.

I wouldn't be surprised if this setup is intentional, if a domain generates 100 complaints a day which take 10 man hours to handle, at $8 an hour, the domain is costing the registrar about $30,000 a year to host.

Even if the registrar spends 1 minute on each email it would cost them $5000 a year, and they might get in trouble with ICANN for not properly investigating and responding to each complaint.

Edit: Andrew Torba admitted he mishandled the situation. It looks like Gab is now in the same situation as most websites, whenever the registrar barks content needs to be removed. It can be immediately re-uploaded by the user of course, and then it needs to be deleted again when the registrar gets another complaint. What follows is a game of tag, but as explained above, this becomes prohibitively expensive if the far-left steps up its game, and it probably will with its recent successes.

Last edited by Rolf; September 4th, 2017 at 08:32 PM.

Old September 5th, 2017 #32
Robbie Key

Gab Next on the Chopping Block for Domain Theft

SEPTEMBER 5, 2017 / ANDREWANGLINBLOG

As the reader is presumably aware, Gab is this writer’s last location on the surface web (excluding this blog, where I have vowed to not speak of my politics). It is the only place that would allow me to post freely. I have been banned from all other platforms and had my domain stolen so as I cannot even host my own website.

When it became clear to me that Gab was my last place to communicate with anyone who has not already downloaded the Tor Browser – as you have, if you are currently viewing this site – I threw my weight and energy behind the site. I became an investor, subscribed to the paid version, and encouraged all of my readers to join and considering supporting it financially.

In part due to my support, Torba was able to finish raising his investor goal of $1,000,000. I also managed to increase the site’s active usership by at least 15% (Gab was much less popular than the Daily Stormer before it went down).

Things went okay for a few weeks.

Then yesterday, the site’s owner, Andrew Torba, claimed that a meme created by Emily Youcis making fun of Charlottesville crash victim Heather Heyer’s weight (which I will not post here, for reasons of keeping this blog free of controversial content) violated the site’s ToS and that I had 24 hours to remove it (with the implication that I would be banned if I did not).

Of course, I refused to remove it and decided to use my remaining 24 hours on the site to launch a Crusade against Torba, calling him a fraud who had tricked investors with the promise of a free speech site only to break that promise as soon as his money was in.

This caused the entire userbase of the site to go into a full-on revolt mode.

Polls showed that 85% of the site’s userbase was planning to leave with me if I was banned.

Then, in the middle of this mess, Torba posted a blog on Medium where he revealed that the domain registrar, Asia Registry, had threatened to steal his domain in 48 hours if the post was not removed.

Torba then posted a series of Gabs explaining that he was actually lying about the post violating the site’s ToS, and the post in question was simply being targeted because if it is not removed, the domain will be pulled.

He said he could have handled it better.

In fact, I don’t think he could have.

Whether by accident or on purpose – I have no idea, and it’s up to you to determine how clever you think Andrew Torba is – he proved to any and all investors that if free speech is removed from the site, all paying users and most non-paying users will freak-out and leave the site.

Whether it was a Machiavellian maneuver or a misstep is inconsequential: the point was made, beautifully, that Gab is only viable as a free speech platform.

Following this, Torba asked me respectfully to delete the post in order to keep the domain from being stolen by the registrar.

I did so.

The reason I did so was not simply because I am a gentleman – although this is a known fact – but because the request came with a promise to work out a registrar solution, which is one of my own key problems and why I have been forced onto the pedoweb.

I will also note that Torba lying to his own userbase to purposefully get them to flip out and attack him in order to prove a point to investors regarding the viability of the platform raised my respect for him by about 6 million percent. Again – even if it was accidental. Accidents can be brilliant.

Furthermore

Gab was registered in a registrar before the concept of registrar’s stealing domains existed.

This is a new thing, which only happened when GoDaddy decided to kick Daily Stormer off for… a fat joke. Since then, we were kicked off of Google Domains, Namecheap, Dreamhost, Rozcom (the Russian national registrar), the Albanian national registrar (which I forget the name of) and I think 3 others.

Currently, our .com (DAILYSTORMER.COM) is still being illegally held by Google, and I do not have access to it.

Also, Stormfront has had its domain stolen by Network Solutions. It is clear that this is now the new model for shutting down wrongthink on the internet.

The government has not become involved in any of this, even though it probably violates the FCC’s 2015 ruling on Net Neutrality, as a registrar is a type of internet service provider.

So, the threat to Torba that the domain would be stolen was not an empty one.

I fully understand why he made the decision he made. I am not sure it was the best decision, especially given that he is now going to appear on the Tucker Carlson Show (tonight, in fact), and has the ability to blow this whole thing up.

But best decision or not, it is an understandable decision. Because after you are kicked off of a registrar, there is no way to get back on, as my situation has demonstrated.

My Reaction

My reaction – which was shared by the overwhelming majority of the site’s core userbase, including many people who hate me – was absolutely justified and appropriate. Free speech either exists or it does not, and Torba crafted the ToS of Gab in such a way as it allows for any and all legally protected speech. Any and all violations of that should be met with unadulterated outrage if they are to take place in the future.

However, after what took place over the last 24 hours, I am confident that this will not be a problem for Gab in the future. At least not any time soon.

It has been shown to everyone that people are on the site because they love freedom. Not for any other reason. Gab is an extremely idealistic venture, which I believe has the opportunity to play a role in the coming Alt-Tech revolution.

So, once again I will renew my call for all of you to join Gab, and to follow me there. It is now evident that Torba has no plan to ban me, so I am even more supportive than I was before this incident.

Gab is at the forefront in the battle for free speech, and we all need to support them in any way we can.

Plus, I post a lot of fun and interesting things there, which I think you will enjoy.

In Conclusion

Overall, this little crisis was a very fun time.

Remember that: you have to enjoy this stuff, or there is no way in hell we’re going to win.

Andrew Anglin
Letters from Internet Prison
September 5, 2017

https://andrewanglinblog.wordpress.c...-domain-theft/

Old September 5th, 2017 #33
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
I think that might be in part due to the left and ring wing mindset being so different. Many of these Antifa guys appear to be complete

another complaint. What follows is a game of tag, but as explained above, this becomes prohibitively expensive if the far-left steps up its game, and it probably will with its recent successes.
The vast majority of complaints concern copyright. Someone, often a photographer, whines that his work is stolen. The host forwards to the site, or the photo writes the site directly, and the image is removed.

There is nothing to investigate with these new leftist political whines because the material is perfectly legal. The demands amount to commercial barratry (abuse of the legal system, mutatis mutandis). All the registrar or host has to do is ignore these demands. But because they share the politics, they tend to go along with them.

The post they wanted Torba to remove is perfectly legal. So even if he yanks it, or gets the poster to yank it, nothing is solved because the material wasn't illegal in the first place. TOS, as I said, is completely meaningless. It's just a pretext for not hosting material the host doesn't like. Or now, the registrar. I'm damned if I see how a registrar can even have TOS since all it's doing is registering URLs. If it objects to some url, then that would apply up top, not after the URL is registered. It doesn't make any logical sense. For the server, or the host, which the url owner is paying to carry his material, it makes sense that some hosts might want only to carry certain types of material. But again, that could be made clear up front. And then the only complaints would basically be outsiders complaining about copyright infringement, which is a minor matter, easily taken care of.

There is nothing complex here, the left is simply trying to pressure our views off the Internet. TOS webwide forbid non-(((leftist))) political views, is what their claim translates into. It is absurd. If it succeeds, the web will become as useless for free communication as tv or radio or public schools.

Last edited by Alex Linder; September 5th, 2017 at 09:57 AM.

Old September 5th, 2017 #34
Alex Linder
Administrator

Brief research shows me there are at minimum hundreds of registrars, so the White community needs to acquire one or start its own, if the existing base is going to lock out our opinions on the pretext that TOS doesn't allow them.

Old September 5th, 2017 #35
Rolf

Quote:
There is nothing to investigate with these new leftist political whines because the material is perfectly legal.
Agreed, but it still takes time to look into it. Once a site gets as popular as Daily Stormer or Gab their registrar might have to hire an extra person just to deal with the complaints.

It's especially bad on Youtube, in most cases when videos with right-wing political content are taken down it's because of copyright claims, and this appears to be an organized systematic effort. The ADL or SPLC might be behind it, and they may have permission to file copyright claims from the music industry, etc.

In one case an anti-Islamic video on YouTube was hit with 5 copyright claims.

So running a registrar may be harder than we think.

Old September 5th, 2017 #36
Alex Linder
Administrator

All these TOS aren't even needed. There are already laws that define and cover free speech and incitement and the rest. So these registrars, let alone hosts, are saying you can't use your url/site to do X, Y, and Z that are already covered by law. What does you can't use your url/site to "discriminate" against someone even mean? It doesn't mean a damn thing.

Old September 5th, 2017 #38
Rolf

Quote:
All these TOS aren't even needed. There are already laws that define and cover free speech and incitement and the rest.
I've only briefly read through ICANN's policies, but it appears ICANN forces registrars to take on the role of police officer, and if they refuse ICANN has the power to shut them down.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the plan all along. It's set up in a way that registrars are forced to investigate and respond to every request, while the left is allowed to DDOS and file false claims without consequence.

It's possible to connect to a site directly using its IP address, so a domain isn't necessary, which means the ICANN rules are completely unnecessary.

One alternative is allowing people to connect by IP, though this means cloudflare can't be used. I'm not sure how bad the DDOSing is these days?

Someone could also set up a custom DNS server that keeps a private record of banned domains and continues to serve those domains. I'm not sure if this would result in the DNS server being blocked from accessing the global registry.

People could then set up their computer to use this custom DNS server. Normal people would still not have access, but anyone who cared could switch to the alt-right DNS server.

Edit: This might work.

https://www.opennic.org/

Last edited by Rolf; September 5th, 2017 at 10:02 PM.

Old September 5th, 2017 #39
N.B. Forrest

Torba was excellent, particularly with his "Who are these MODERN-DAY ROBBER BARONS to tell us what we can or can't say?" closing thrust.

Old September 7th, 2017 #40
Bolg

Quote:

the rl office? lol

Thread