Alex Linder
Administrator

On Language
Grex and Grok

By Alex Linder
[index]

April 21, 2014

1) grex -

This is a word I've encountered only one place: The Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978), not the original in 1956, The movies are all about pods replacing people. The pods are aliens from outer space, and they are little green vegetables rather than little green men. The pods, which grow full-scale replica humans to replace the original humans, begin as small pink-flowering plants, and the character calls them "grex." Looking it up, it means "a group of plants that has arisen from the same hybrid parent group." Hmm...that helps a little, but this is better:

Quote:
The term grex (pl. greges), derived from the Latin noun grex, gregis meaning flock, has been coined to expand botanical nomenclature to describe horticultural hybrids of orchids, based solely on their specified parentage.[1] It is a type of the "Group" category,[1] which is used to describe cultivated plants in practical ways that are not necessarily related to their biological classification.
It would seem grex could be used, usefully, about the same way one could use pod people to describe, say, the products of political correctness - i.e., public school victims. Yet the average reader is likelier to grok what is intended by pod people than grex, so makes sense to go with the former.

2) grok -

This is a term that used to be seen sometimes a few decades ago; it comes from sci-fi writer Robert Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land (1961). It means to grasp, to understand, to assimilate a concept. To get it. A water brother is grokking up what you're putting down...man.

Quote:
water brothers
Those who have "shared water", that is, affirmed mutual complete trust, understanding, and acceptance. A Martian ritual, adopted by Earth friends of Valentine Michael Smith. (Stranger in a Strange Land)
Used to see these terms back in the '60s and '70s but don't hear as much about Heinlein today, just when the occasional film is made from one of his stories (Starship Troopers (1997), for example).

3) give back -

We discussed this last column, and it was mentioned by Craig Cobb in a recent letter:

ALEX -- ONE OTHER FACT: AM RADIO & TV REPORTS HERE USED THE PHRASE "GIVE BACK" LIKE THIS -- "COBB HAS AGREED TO GIVE BACK HIS PROPERTIES IN LEITH TO THE CITY." I WROTE JIMMY MARR OR SOMEBODY ABOUT THAT RIGHT AWAY. LIKE I HAD HIJACKED AN ARMORED CAR & I WAS TO "GIVE BACK" THE LOOT. I DID'T EVEN BUY ANY OF THE PROPERTIES FROM THE CITY. SO WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH THE "GIVE BACK." THEN JIMMY SENT ME YOUR REVIEW OF THE PHRASE. SO THESE SO-CALLED CHRISTIAN CONSERVATIVES -- AT LEAST, THEIR LOCAL MEDIA -- EFFORTLESSLY PLUGGED-IN THE "GIVE BACK" TO A LOCAL RIGHTIST'S QUANDRY.

TO BOOT, IT WAS ANNOUNCED IN COURT BY STATE'S ATTORNEY TODD A SCHWARZ (THE SAME GUY WHO REFUSED TO BRING CHARGES AGAINST A SINGLE ONE OF THE DEATH THREATENERS, THIEVES, VANDALS, BIRD-FLIPPING DRIVEBY FUCK YOUERS, NIGHTSKY LEITH SHOOTERS, BODILY-PUSHERS, ETC.).

4) correct use of reticence

"In fact, Venturi was the classic architect-intellectual for the new age: young, slender, soft-spoken, cool, ironic, urbane, highly educated, charming with just the right amount of reticence, sophisticated in the lore and the strategies of modern architecture, able to mix plain words with scholarly ones, historical references of the more esoteric sort -- to Luytjens, Soane, Vanbrugh, Borromini -- with references of the more banal sort -- to billboards, electric signs, shopping-centers, front-yard mailboxes." --Tom Wolfe, From Bauhaus to Our House (1972), p. 106 [pdf]

So that makes Lew Rockwell (enormity) and Tom Wolfe (reticence) two examples of men who know what they're doing. Perhaps we've reached a sad state when correct use deserves recognition, but even so, I think it's worth pointing out. The reason for reading better writing is the reason for eating better food - better for your mind, as better food is better for your body. Empty carb fiction is ok, but the better stuff will teach you more than just its subject; you will learn new thing
En_passant En_passant
, which is French for 'in passing,' but means a special type of pawn move in chess.

5) scapegoat

When the anti-white media go after right-wing groups they hate, this is one of their favorite terms to throw around. Right-wingers, whites, never blame people for harm they've actual done, they 'scapegoat' innocent illegal aliens, black youfs or some other verbally protected and legally privileged class.

Scapegoat derives from the common English translation of the Hebrew term azazel.

Quote:
Once a year, on the tenth day of the seventh month in the Jewish calendar, the Day of Atonement, the High Priest of Israel sacrificed a bull for a sin offering for his own sins. Subsequently he took two goats and presented them at the door of the tabernacle with a view to dealing with the corporate sins of God's people — the nation of Israel. Two goats were chosen by lot: one to be "The Lord's Goat", which was offered as a blood sacrifice, and the other to be the "Azazel" scapegoat to be sent away into the wilderness. The blood of the slain goat was taken into the Holy of Holies behind the sacred veil and sprinkled on the mercy seat, the lid of the ark of the covenant. Later in the ceremonies of the day, the High Priest confessed the sins of the Israelites to Yahweh placing them figuratively on the head of the other goat, the Azazel scapegoat, who "took them away" never to be seen again. The sin of the nation was thus "atoned for" (paid for) by the "The Lord's Goat" and "The Azazel Goat".
So...jews sin...goats get the blame. So it was in the olden days. Today, jews sin, whites get the blame. Media jews accuse whites of scapegoating when they, for example, hold illegal aliens the jews have let into the country responsible for their crimes. The original goats, after all, did nothing wrong. The people the jews accuse whites of 'scapegoating' are in the nation illegally - and then on top of that molesting the locals in various ways. So they are at a minimum twice-guilty, rather than unguilty. Typcial jewy verbal effrontery - chutzpah, as they call it. Blaming someone for what he has actually done is not and can never be scapegoating, which means making some other party bear the burden of your sins. Scapegoating is practically the nature, meaning and mission of the chewish peepuhl. All jews do is blame others for their sins, whether those people are caprines or hominids. Jewspeak: 'Extreme right-wing nativist extremist racist haters blame innocent minority people of color paperless irregular hardworker-migrants for crimes they committed themselves, probably." Reality: "Natives blame illegal alien criminals for crimes they commit against natives - on top of their illegal entry into a functional and settled country."

Jews are the kind of people who create a god dumb enough to choose jews and accept this special-needs people's passing off responsibility for its sins onto a...barnyard animal. Mmmkay...

6) intensive purposes

Tardspeak most obnoxious. The retard doesn't read, it watches tv. The term intents and purposes is foreign to it. It is familiar with 'intense' through televised repetition, so it mishears intents and purposes to be intensive purposes. Which doesn't even really make sense, but tards aren't tards because they think about what they're doing or saying. Tards are not just those who don't know, they're those who don't think knowing matters. Meta-tards, some would call them. Society would be well served if a Spayer General were secretly employed to drive about the
country zapping the balls and frying the ovaries of dolts using this disgusting bit of iambic dumbtameter.

The more illiterate the country becomes, thanks to widespread public schooling, the more of ip we'll see:

Quote:
Yet by opening the doors as wide as 'anyone with a vagina can say anyone with a penis raped them, and for all intensive purposes that penis is labeled a rapist from there on out'- has caused problems. Link.
Intensive purposes is of a piece and on a par with short sided for short-sighted, and deep seeded for deep seated. Problems only reading can cure, really, hence, incurable.

7) err

Again - ur, not air.

8) poisonous vs venomous

Here I go the opposite way: I don't think this distinction matters. I don't observe it. I don't think it's a distinction at all. One is supposed to say venomous rather than poisonous when it comes to snakes, yet when you look up venomous what do you find?: poisonous. Venom is too easy to misspell; for that reason I prefer poisonous. It's also better to use venomous figuratively, for someone who is spiteful or hateful, rather than literally poisonous, as with a scorpion. My modest rebellion needn't be everyone's, but I think I can defend it. I used my artistic license in "Snake a Snake for Jesus" to put across the following line as a middle finger to our Grammasters:

A poison snake's the only kind
To demonstrate your faith is pure clean through...so...

(You can hear that song and two hours of other stuff here.)

9) Alljuda and Asphalt and Verjudung

Two NS terms pertaining to yids and yidkultur. Alljuda was a term common by 1920s "among anti-Semites as a shorthand term for the international Jewish conspiracy." Today, we'd say, "The Alljuda instructed Samaras to shut down Golden Dawn, and he leaped to comply, throwing the democratically elected leaders of the party in jail pending the May 2014 European elections." Asphalt was a negative adjective describing the effect of urbanization on people and institutions. The Nazis contrasted the pure urban farm life of real Germans with the polluted, morally and physically, big-city life of the yiddy dreckmeisters. Verjudung is the intrusion of Jewish influences and attitudes on German institutions, dating to at least 1880s. This concept is better put across as jewing, which I have used at VNN from day one. Our institutions have been jewed, whether our immigration control or our money supply or our mass communications. Jews means taken over by jews, instilled with jewish mindset, made to think and act like jews or like jews want or in accordance with an agenda set by jews.

10) misuse of PC

Stephen A. Smith refers to Donovan McNabb's "toeing the company line" as PC. Incorrect. PC has nothing to do with public relations, just as it has nothing to do with manners, good or otherwise. Political incorrectness means deviation from an ideological line. That line is set by jews, and it is always anti-white. Those who don't grasp the politics involved often misperceive the intent behind the term. They pick up only on its stridency. Thus any departure from any code will be seen as a politically incorrect looseness. The irony is that looseness itself is the ultimate politically correct double-plus good thing, as personal and political laxness are indicated for goyim by Dr. Jew in order to cure their body politic of 'anti-semitism,' which is the nonexistent disease the quack has diagnosed in them. 'Anti-semitism' is merely the natural reaction to jews experienced by whites, and not just by whites, by other races too. Jews think and act in ways hostile to the other races they live among. They know this. They design terms to prejudice the natural reaction as some kind of mental malady. This is 'anti-semitism.' They come up with an entire verbal code which must be followed in order to create the environment in which their kind can flourish. Departures from their verbal code, or from any behavior, verbal or otherwise, they dictate for whites, is true and genuine political incorrectness, and must be punished. Whatever is healthy and good and normal for whites; whatever is merely accurate in political terminology - these must be made illegal or immoral or in any case and by any means beyond bound, and any transgressions must be hard punished. See Paula Deen or a thousand others.

11) perekovka

This is a Soviet term, from paleo-communism. It means reform through labor. It means 'reforging.' It was a newspaper.

Historically, perekovka connects with both the gulag generally and the White Sea-Baltic Canal project specifically.

Quote:
The canal was constructed by forced labour of gulag inmates. During its construction by a total of 126,000 workers, about 12,000 died, according to the official records,[1] while historian Anne Applebaum's estimate is 25,000 deaths.[2]
Quote:
The Soviets portrayed the project as evidence of the efficiency of the Gulag. Supposedly "reforging" "class enemies" (political prisoners) through "corrective labor", the working conditions at the BBK Camp were brutal, with the prisoners given only primitive hand tools to carry out the massive construction project.
The gulag were work camps, labor camps, scattered through the miserable taiga, as recorded most famously in Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's
One Day In the Life of Ivan Denisovich One Day In the Life of Ivan Denisovich
and
The Gulag Archipelago The Gulag Archipelago

12) si xiang gai zao

This is a term from Chinese communism meaning thought reform. Gettin' your head right, you dig? So perekovka means labor reform, and si xiang gai zao means thought reform. This guy oddly says it's not brainwashing, but, oh yeah, it is coercive. Thought 'redevelopment' - by any term, it means forcing you to think the way they want rather than the way you want. Guy says:

Quote:
It is interesting to note that the official term used and preferred by the Chinese Communists was si xiang gai zao, which literally means "thought redevelopment". Thought redevelopment, unlike "brainwashing", has no coercive and derogatory connotation. (That is very hard to believe.) It merely implies that there is something lacking or wanting in the original condition that warrants a change in thought. Hence "thought redevelopment" is technically compatible with citizenship and moral education -- a salutary nation-building endeavor carried out by many governments today. What is objectionable about the Communists' thought redevelopment, in my view, is not the intention but the method used: it was forced upon the prisoners who were subjected to immense and prolonged physical, mental, and emotional abuse. Link.
They're going to beat you starve you work you until you come around. Or die. Either one is ok. The Chinese gulag, or work system, or concentration came system, was called laogai.

We'll leave it there for this week. It's Turkey Week in NEMO; one already in the bag, pics and perhaps video coming up. As always, if you have any grist for this language mill, do post. I'm down to my last two scoops of saved up words. New column next week by noon CST as always... Thanks for reading, thanks for circulating on twitter/elsewhere. AlexLinder5 on twitter. //

Old May 5th, 2014 #262
Alex Linder
Administrator

On Language
What is the provenance of this sad little homunculus?

By Alex Linder
[index]

May 5, 2014

Ok...after a nasty interruption due to faulty wiring that laid my typing input mechanism low, we're back with a new column this week. It's May 2014 now, and, after nearly ten of these columns, I'm running low on stored material. I may even use up my 'bag' this week, so if you have any questions or new words or usages to discuss, feel free to post them. While I was offline, I read a bunch of David Foster Wallace and some older Russell Kirk, so most of the words we'll cover this week come from these two writers. These will be more obscure words than usual, just to increase our vocabulary a little. But we'll start with a more common term, a very useful one, and go from there. That term is:

1) provenance

This is a useful term. It occurs most frequently, perhaps, in discussion of artworks, such as paintings. What is the 'provenance' of a particular piece? This means, what is its history, background, pedigree, as it were. This term was also big with the older conservatives in National Review and books by their set of writers back in the '70s. They were concerned with the 'provenance' of a particular idea. Tracing an idea from an originator or through history, as it were advocated by different personages and groups. You could say, the provenance of this particular nostrum dates back to at least the French Revolution. But to do that you have to know that nostrum doesn't just mean notion, it means bad notion, bad idea. Nostrum is basically snake oil, originally. It is used to describe bad ideas, bad notions, dumb policy ideas - ideas which are the equivalent of snake oil. Many people do not realize that nostrum means something dumb and ineffective, they just think it's another way of saying notion.

Here's a definition of nostrum.

Quote:
1. a medicine sold with false or exaggerated claims and with no demonstrable value; quack medicine.

2. a scheme, theory, device, etc., especially one to remedy social or political ills; panacea.
Nostrum is Latin, means 'ours.' You will see the relation to 'Cosa Nostra,' the mob's supposed name for itself - 'Our thing,' or 'this thing of ours.' The 'nostrum' the snakeoil salesman is selling off the back of the wagon is his shop's peculiar mix, his pharmacy's or apothecary's unique elixir - 'good for what ails you,' as they liked to put it. Just as snake oil is a quack elixir, nostrum is a quack idea.

Now here's a definition of provenance.

Quote:
place or source of origin: The provenance of the ancient manuscript has never been determined.
Literally the term refers to where something comes from or originates, but in practice it's just a fancier way of saying "What's the story behind this curious painting (of a blue square woman descending the stairs)?" To repeat, inevitably what you'll find in practice is that provenance means the story behind something, not just the bare fact of its author or hometown. Those are only directly pointed up in uses such as 'the provenance of the fart was a matter of contentious dispute among the crapulent assembly.' Which itself begins to approach the comedic, combining a word generally associated with high-toned things such as wine or art with the low matter of odiferous flatulence. Disputed provenance is another common use - something that will crop up wherever art fraud is suspected, or in cases in which the author or painter is contested or simply unknown. 'Disputed provenance' is a known term, not to say cliche. You seldom see the direct, active form: 'Experts disagree' who painted Dogs Playing Poker; rather, always used is the passive: 'The provenance of the painting is disputed.'

As a word beloved of old-school conservative intellectuals, provenance always smacks at least faintly of Leslie Nielsen, the mock gravitas, or pseudo-heaviness, even when it's used straight. It's a term perfectly cast for achieving comedic effects, like all heavy words, or words that seem or sound heavy. When you're presented with anything recent, shabby or weightless -- anything with nothing behind it -- you can well play this up by using 'provenance.'

- what is the provenance of this "two buck Chuck"? - cheap wine. Wine without a story behind it, such as a bum might acquire to fortify himself for facing a freezing fall night.

On my latest podcast, MP3 here, I play a snatch of "
." It might interest us to wonder about the background of this song; to inquire into its provenance. I did that, and here it is:

Quote:
"Lesbian Seagull" is a song performed by Engelbert Humperdinck. It was used in the soundtrack for the MTV/Paramount film Beavis and Butt-head Do America. In the movie, the song was sung by one of Beavis and Butt-head's teachers, Mr. Van Driessen.

Tom Wilson Weinberg wrote the song's words and composed its music, and he originally recorded and released it on his own 1979 album, The Gay Name Game. Weinberg wrote and composed "Lesbian Seagull" in response to a government[which?] study of long term monogamous lesbian behaviour in seagulls. Mike Judge, creator-designer of Beavis and Butt-head, heard the song in a David Letterman "Dave's Record Collection" segment and contacted Weinberg about using it in the film, in which it is sung by Judge himself, as the voice of Mr. Van Driessen. Humperdinck's version, used in the end credits of the film and included on the soundtrack released on the Universal/Geffen Records label, was used as the B-side of Red Hot Chili Peppers's cover of "Love Rollercoaster", which was released as a single in its own right.
Well, that's an interesting provenance, isn't it? Appears the song traces to a jew, surprise, surprise, carrying on the usual Frankfurt School mission of normalizing sexual deviance. Also in that line, I say in an aside, is the 2013 movie, out of France,
Blue_Is_the_Warmest_Colour Blue_Is_the_Warmest_Colour
. It's about a teenager's discovering she prefers jamming clams to normal sex, and features an overt and extended bout of said jamming, so up close and personal you'll have to wipe the cunt mist off your glasses. This film won many awards, gold leaves and such. Normalizing perversion as a means of breaking down white society is job #1 for the jew-controlled media, the mass media, the junk media, whether aurally, as with Lesbian Seagull, or visually, through tv and movies. BITWC at least had one new 'thing' for our vocabulary and general-knowledge purposes: an instrument created by a German around 2000 called a Hang. German nouns are all capitalized; in English most are not, except by dumb people. Picture of a 'hang,' which is a sort of barbecue-shaped steel-drum-sounding thing.

Since last column, I also came across another example of pareidolia...

Quote:
the imagined perception of a pattern or meaning where it does not actually exist, as in considering the moon to have human features
(Seeing Mary/Jesus in a pancake or piece of toast/tree.)

...which you may remember from an earlier column, here.

You will see the relation to the word eidolon, which is of Greek origin, and means apparition or phantom. Notice it is pronounced with the accent on the middle syllable: eye-DOLE-un. (Most of the links to these words offer audio clips so you can hear the word spoken correctly.)

Eidolon is not common. I would have to look it up myself. But I have seen it in older literature from time to time. Fancy word for ghost, I guess you could say. Somewhat pretentious if you're using it straight in 2014, as opposed to using it in 1860 when you're studying sweetness and light (effects) under Matt Arnold. Or if we were going for a mock-pretentious effect for comedic purposes, as we often will be.

It's all about what the word can do for you. How you can use it. Comedically. Or simply accurately - for what it denotes. Comedically will really fix it in your mind, similar to the way lyrics are easier to remember than prose. When you know something well enough to play with it without thinking about it, it's just one of your tools, then you really know it. If you have to think about it, you're not there yet. It's still a stranger to you, somewhat formal and respectful. See what's in the word, lick its ear, get to know it, brew it some coffee, have a chat with it. Make it a part of your life, see what it's all about, how it fits with what you're doing. See if the two of you are compatible. See if its a workin', fightin', hard-charging word, suitable for drafting, reading to be sent off to fight in Laffghanistan. Well, that's how I see it, anyway. Grass nibblers can focus on: a) recognizing the term, b) spelling it correctly, c) using it accurately. This column has higher aims than the pedestrian, a term which means not just ambulant pavement-slapper but

Quote:
lacking in vitality, imagination, distinction, etc.; commonplace; prosaic or dull: a pedestrian commencement speech.
Your choice, Digby. You can use words exactly as they're intended, like a good li'l amateur schoolmarm. Be a lot cooler if you didn't, though.

2) a graphic of lowest-level language mistakes

3) she-werewolves: do they exist and if so what should we call them?

Here's a long and interesting if feminist article on the etymology and concept of the werewolf, with the ultimate silly-ideological aim of popularizing the use of wifwolf for she-werewolves. 'Were' simply means man. Man-wolves.

4) bai lao men - paying respects to the cell god.

This term comes from the Chinese communists. I can find no reference to it on google save on VNNF:

Quote:
Worse still was the thought reform, si xiang gai zao, that was practised in the Chinese concentration camp system, the laogai, or 'Auschwitz of the mind' in Harry Wu's startling expression (Saunders, 1996, 73). 'For the Chinese communist', notes Wu, 'the aim is not to destroy him [the prisoner], a hostile element, physically through violence, but to destroy him mentally and ideologically, while threatening him with violence' (Saunders, 1996, vii).[20] Certain forms of physical abuse are used in conjunction with thought reform, as in the degrading ritual of bai lao men ('paying respects to the cell-god'), which involves a new prisoner's being made to suck up excrement from a bucket through straws and then say that the excrement tasted delicious (Saunders, 1996, 41).
Isn't it great that we at VNNF are the only ones in the world with any interest in the verbalisms related to communist tortures? They murder 100,000,000+ men last century, and meh is the general reaction.

[I was going to say 'torture practices.' Then I said to myself - how is that any different from the 'frost event' you criticized in earlier column. What part of practices is different from or not encompassed in tortures?

The lesson here is that a lot of the best use of words and language is simply thinking carefully (can one think uncarefully?) about what one is doing.]

5) medborgarvärd -

Means: citizen host (Swedish). A PC/Swedish term. Link. Here it is google-translated from Swedish to English. Link.

Quote:
Civic Host Husby: The police called us apjävlar
Published 2013-05-20
On Sunday night put adolescents multiple cars on fire in Husby and threw stones at police. A citizen-host who would mediate between young people and police report that police said racist taunts at him and his colleagues were beaten by police.
Note: I had this term in my grabbag, shorn of provenance in mind or notes. So I ran google. The story linked above, with top paragraph, was very first result when I googled it.

I can't provide the fine points of this term because I don't know Swedish, or fully grasp what's going on here, but you can get the sense of the make-believe from the translation. Strikes me as parallel to calling taxes 'contributions'; the false analogy is constructed to make things coerced seem cozy. We let in all these raving, violent Muslims quite against your democratic will becomes, filtered through the conspiring media, "you get to host a dinner party for these wondrous creature-humans we celebrate as diversity, aren't you lucky?!"

6) factional tendentiousness

This is a communist term. Communists have an ideology. Many variants of the same basic worldview. Splinters, factions, sects - just as with any nutty religion. An ideology is defined as a political faith. A man is only accurately described as ideological when he side with his political views when reality refutes them. He lets his ideal trump actual facts. You can see the relation between this and the mentality underlying the pravda (noble lie or ideological truth) and istina - gritty, factual, real-world truth. White nationalism is not, properly speaking, an ideology. It, like any political position, can become one, if one allows it. An example of ideological thinking would be a man who says 2+2 can't be 4 because a jew said. Since jews are bad, according to WN, anything they say is wrong, or a lie. Even if what they say is demonstrably true. 2+2 is an overstatement, but there are plenty of things intelligent jews such as Murray Rothbard or Ludwig von Mises said that certain WN refuse to acknowledge as true purely because Rothbard and von Mises were jews. Letting ideology trump reality is a bad idea, for a number of reasons that should be obvious and aren't worth going into. Last thing to notice about ideology is that conservative big thinkers such as the Russell Kirk I've been going on about lately define conservatism as anti-ideological. It's not about constructing a system, it's about virtues and order. Ordering the soul, first. Being prudent. Respecting things, and trying to figure out why they are the way they are, rather than rushing to alter them or wholly revise them. That makes sense, doesn't it? But you can also see how it leads to a certain passivity where violent, quick action is required. Anything calm and reflective, anything appreciative, is going to be psychologically on the back foot when faced with the aggression of the ideologues like the communists or the neocommunists, the anti-white multiculturalists. This horrifying irony echoes in the often-quoted words a certain poet the conservatives like to quote to the point that the best are full of doubt while the worst are full of furious intensity. So it is. If you believe God created this, you must also believe he is not a loving god but a god of sadistic irony.

Communists are famous for splintering into competing intellectual factions. One of the more famous depictions of these was provided by Irving Kristol, NYC jew, and the godfather of neo-conservatism, in his memoirs,
Reflections of a Neoconservative Reflections of a Neoconservative
. Greasy-haired, bespectacled yids sitting around lunch tables at City College of New York, eating egg sandwiches and debating Marx. These are the folks who wound up controlling your country, white man. The joke is on you. Or is you. EAT-MOR-DIRT turns out to be shitty survival strategy.

Factional tendentiousness refers to communist command central's worry that the party was losing its unity in obsessions with immaterial details. But that's my guess, I can't find a formal definition, although there might be one in some of my old East German communist textbooks. We know that Lenin created the notion of political correctness, deviation from which it was his purpose to stamp out. Factional tendentiousness smacks of a hard, unified, effective party breaking down into squabbles over insignificant details, thereby imperiling the revolution. Kind of the way you will see black feminists getting into it with white feminists over intersectionality on jezebel. Sometimes they get so invested in internal squabbling over not-very-important stuff they forget the bigger picture: hating and defeating the white man!

7) soznanie (Сознание)

Russian for consciousness, as in 'class consciousness.' Link to translated Russian Wiki page here.

8) minor attracted persons

This is a political evasion for pedophiles. It's a deliberate attempt to avoid the term pedophile and replace it with something less repugnant sounding. As the left successfully achieved by turning sodomites/queers into homosexuals and then 'gays.' Minor attracted person is hazy, vague. Is it someone who likes 17-year-old girls, or someone who rapes babies? As always, the left uses language as febreeze. To cover up something disgusting. To hide it, conceal it, pretend it's not happening, to make it go away. At the same time, it comes up with a positive term for the class it seeks to protect and advance, it comes up with a negative term to characterize those opposed. With 'gays' it was 'homophobe.' Hard as it may be for you younger folks reading this to realize, there was a time when 'homophobe didn't exist. It was coined in 1969 by a professor, apparently, but it wasn't seen much in print until the mid-eighties, when the debate over AIDS took flight. At first, even then, it wasn't used in every single disagreement, but within 2-3 years, that's exactly what happened. Any term that works the left can't help but apply across the board - racism is the best example. Anyone opposed to any leftist policy on race is a racist, on sex is a sexist or misogynist, on sexual behavior is a homophobe, on history is a denier. None of these terms has any genuine meaning beyond: not on board with the leftist position on (X). They are all bomb-words, calculated smears. They succeed not because they are substantively valuable or inherently clever or meaningful, but because the left controls the mass media, they can be made effective through ubiquitous presence and continual repetition.

Here's an old VNNF post on the mainstreaming of the bogus locution MAP.

9) vanity sizing

Euphemisms: they're not just for breakfast anymore. Not just for words. They work just fine with numbes. Does the 14- or 18-sized she-fatty want to be a 4- or 2-? No problem! She can be whatever size she wants, so long as she comes with the credit card already. This too is the America mindset and retail reality. Seam-stressers can't handle the truth...so their clothing shops simply give them what they want: fake numbers. The customer is always right. "What size do you want to be?" says the whale handler to the land womanatee.

This is a quote from a comment at Jezebel, where I first came across vanity sizing:

Quote:
Last time I checked, dresses and tops came in numbered sizes as well. Though, frankly, I don't think she's that small in bottoms either...unless she's quite short, or shopping at a store where vanity sizing is in effect.
Two articles on it.
Vanity_sizing Vanity_sizing
. Here Forbes on the psychology behind it.

It's like I say: reality is a strong secondary influence on most people's thinking.

And that will be enough for today. Didn't even get to my words from D. Foster Wallace and Russell Kirk, but we'll catch them next time. Until we meet again, remember that no one fills concert halls to listen to player pianos. Play with great expression -- which is an unindistinct thing from self-expression -- and maybe they will show up to hear you.//

Old May 12th, 2014 #263
Alex Linder
Administrator

On Language
The Pre-Draft Process Failed the Noble Negro

By Alex Linder
[index]

May 12, 2014

Ok, after a heavy and exhausting week of gardening and the close of turkey season, back to wonderful words. I heard reticence and enormity both misused once last week. That seems to be about the average. Reticence, of course, was used to mean reluctance. Remember: anytime someone is 'reticent' to do something, it should be reluctant. And, enormity does not refer to size, no matter what whoretionaries may say in their lower definitions. Now let's get to the words. Most of what we'll focus on this week are simply new or unusual words found in self-departed thick-novelist David Foster Wallace.

1) failing

Of course you know the word and its meaning; the interesting thing is that it seems to be used more often, as with guns, to describe things in relation to people than people in relation to things. Notice, you will literally never see a newspaper report stating that a nigger (what the media call a 'black man') failed something. By contrast, you will find many newspaper reports talking about how [X] "failed" a nigger. I've mocked this many times, but it's truly head-shaking. The media find a nigger-exculpating formulation in every sector and never depart from it. Here's one I came across the other day, stocking up background knowledge for my fall NFL column: "I’ve put my thoughts on [black Teddy] Bridgewater on record before; the pre-draft process has failed him in stupefying ways, and I firmly believe he’s an underrated asset." There's a new one to add to our list of things that fail niggers. Besides schools, police, social workers, government, the defrocked fake-planet known as Pluto, oh yeah, and all white people ever: the pre-draft process is letting down the coons too. I agree: it is stupefying how badly that process has failed our valuable negro, who just did all he could in perfect faith and loyalty, and yet was let down by a process. Next thought: could the pre-draft process be racist? I mean, it's a very in thing these days. Almost nothing isn't. It's merely funny to those who watched ESPN analysts and commentators verbally fellate the guy every play of every game last year. I guess artificially inflating the QB abilities of The Next Great Black QB isn't part of the pre-draft process.

The irritating thing about this use of 'failing' is the implication that the poower little negros just try so hard, they so want to succeed. It's just fate and all higher society are conspiring to stop them by providing them with inferior schools, guns and pre-draft processes. When in fact, niggers who care about books are scarcer than hens' teeth; niggers rather than pieces of metal are responsible for the murders they commit; and pre-draft processes don't fail anyone who performs well in their various trials. But whatever can be done to explain away or excuse the nigger's poor performance is always what you'll find in the jew-controlled mass media, where it's always the white attitude or inanimate object truly responsible for the nigger's behavior. It's always and every time the nigger that failed, but the jewsmedia spouting this sort of anti-white bilge will never admit that. Just notice how common this 'failed the (coon)' formulation is next time you're out there in the wide world of words. For wording is a sport too, a blood sport.

2) ...so we can schedule our lively nuncupative off the record collogue

Found these two in a story about some sex freak who invented a superior golf club. A man who turned into a woman, had other shady things in his past, tried to hide them, but they were ferreted out by a reporter, whole thing turned into a moderately big brouhaha. Read it here and here if you're interested. In these stories came across this:

Quote:
If the aforementioned is agreeable to you, please respond to this communique at your convenience so we can schedule our lively nuncupative off the record collogue.
Had only a vague sense of what both meant from the context, had to look them up.

Collogue - pronounced with accent on second syllable - kuh (as in duh) loge (with hard g) as in pogue. Kuh-loge. (Pogue in itself is interesting:

Quote:
Pogue is pejorative military slang for non-combat, staff, and other rear-echelon or support units.[1] "Pogue" frequently includes those who don't have to undergo the stresses that the infantry does.
So, it's a British equivalent to REMF - Rear Echelon Mother Fucker. Someone out of harm's way. There is a semi-famous band called The Pogues.

Or maybe it's not British, as The Pogues are, hence my assumption. 'Pogue' has been around a long time.

Quote:
It has been used in the United States Navy and Marine Corps since before World War II, entering Army usage around the time of the Vietnam War.[2] In the Canadian Forces a pogue is referred to as a WOG, short for "without guns" or "without guts".

Originally, the term was a sexual insult in early twentieth century gay culture, as "pogue" was slang for a young male who submitted to sexual advances.[3]

Also referred to boys that were kidnapped by press gangs and brought onto ships during the 1700s, that were then raped by the crew and forced to do other menial labor.[/I]
So, pogue contains notions of twink and pegboy (which we discussed in an earlier column here), as well as REMF. Very interesting indeed.

And this:

Quote:
This term is thematically similar to the newer word Fobbit which refers to non-combat arms soldiers who never leave their Forward Operating Base. Fobbit is a combination of the acronym FOB and term Hobbit from Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings series. Hobbits never leave the Shire, while Fobbits never leave the FOB.
The army will always have a ready term or set of terms for those who stick to safe supply or secretarial work rather than doing the actual fighting.

Meanwhile, the name of the band The Pogues comes from an entirely different place:

Quote:
The Pogues were founded in Kings Cross,[3] a district of Central London, in 1982 as Pogue Mahone—pogue mahone being the anglicisation of the Irish póg mo thóin, meaning "kiss my arse".
Shortening their name to "The Pogues" (partly due to BBC censorship following complaints from Gaelic speakers in Scotland)... So they are named 'The Kisses' now, which is different from The Kiss-My-Asses. Yet the complainer probably did them an unintentional favor. That's how the world nearly always works, per the directions of the God of Irony.

Anyway, there's apparently no connection between pogue and Pogues. Let's ponder this while enjoying(?) a Pogues video.

Now what is collogue? So far as I can recall, I have never seen this word before.

Quote:
1. to confer secretly.
2. to plot mischief; conspire.
Origin: 1595–1605; perhaps blend of collude and dialogue
Sort of a more obscure term for conspire. Similarity in size and spelling will make it difficult to remember, hence not particularly useful. But a perfectly legitimate term.

As for nuncupative:

The stress is on the first syllable, and the cu is pronounced as the cu in cupid. Thus, NUN-cyoo-pay-tiv. What is it?

Quote:
adjective
(especially of a will) oral; not written.
So, the golf-club-designing tranny wants to meet secretly for a chat, with the reporter refraining from writing anything down. The reference to nuncupative's use with wills is clear enough, but I can't remember ever coming across the term before, in that regard or anywhere, and I've read many discussions of wills.

3) sensitivity -

This is another of those not-inherently-political words that has been turned to political use by the left. Belongs to the same class as tolerant. In the story(ies) above, there's a big debate not over the shady past of the tranny, but on the reporter's need to bring out her strange sexual history. To a normal, or non-leftist, it's obviously integral to the story, since it's interesting and pertinent. To the leftist, mentioning that this curious creature, with a history of criminal behavior, is a secretive transsexual, is irrelevant. Hence, bringing it out and up is unwarranted - is insensitive. Since, you know, the world is full of evil racist nazis who might think someone who cuts off his dick and installs a pussy is at best a weirdo. Not everyone is a sensitive and caring and tolerant as the people who anoint themselves same are.

As with tolerant, sensitive only works one way. Whites or rightists are admonished for, essentially, resisting the left. They're beaten up verbally in a most insensitive way for refusing to treat as holy (for subjecting to rational inspection) one of the left's privileged classes - blacks, sexual freaks, some other racial or behavioral minority.

Leftism precludes sensitivity or tolerance because it's based on a simple binary: right and wrong. Absolute black and white. The good people are on the right side of history, and they oppose the bad people, who are bad because they're not leftists. It's that simple. They need to be abused verbally and legally until they come around - or at least learn to quake in fear and keep their mouths shut. You can only tolerate something if you have the idea that you might not always be right yourself, and that there are limits to politics. Leftists don't believe either of these. 'The political is the personal,' they famously said back in the sixties revolutions. Every last operation of life is a political act, they truly believe, and one for which there is a right way and a wrong way. They are moralists - angry Puritans of looseness. Hyper-moralists, real crusaders. Bent on stamping out evil, which is anything and anyone opposed to them. One doesn't tolerate evil. There's no need to be sensitive to it. They're as sure as any religious fundamentalist that they have The Truth, hence no need for any kind of gentleness, sensitivity, respect or tolerance for those who don't. They are merely the enemy; they deserve only crushing. To the leftist, you prove you are evil by opposing them, since they know they are Good. It's that stark. That black and white. This kind of zany, anti-human religious-crusading mentality sits perfectly well alongside high IQ, so it's often quite successful. Missing in these folks is any sort of humor or wryness; any sense that even their opponents are people too. Thus, the most they are capable of is verbally advanced snark, a sort of styled spitting hostility. You will be upbraided continually for not being sensitive to them and the disturbationals and sundry defectives they champion, but they will never ever be sensitive to you. The very idea that a leftist ought to show respect for or appreciation of or any kind of sensitivity to the particular needs or feelings of a hated white male never enters the white-hating leftist's consciousness, so absurd is the notion. You can't even really say the leftists are hypocrites in this regard, so deep is their fanaticism. These are true and genuine religious fanatics operating in the earthly realm of politics. "Doing right ain't got no end," as the union man says in The Outlaw Josey Wales. They can't rest until all the Bad People and Bad Ideas have been stamped out. As leftist jew and Frankfurt School honcho Herbert Marcuse said, "No space for the right." All contrary or competing ideas must be extinguished, so there's nothing left but leftism.

As I always say, the common thread of leftist terms and frames is that they exclude a priori the possibility of legitimate disagreement -- they pathologize it - turn it into a sickness -- which makes leftism inherently anti-democratic, which is ironic, in light of their love of the term democratic, and their crusades for same, yet fully in keeping with the eternal-policy-because-necessity of leftism: to sell their positions as their opposites (for example, sell the religious socialism of global warming as science). If you disagree with a leftist position, you're not simply of a different taste or attitude, or making a different but valid choice, rather you are a moral reprobate and thought criminal who probably ought to be locked up as an extremist hater before you genocide a race or two. All leftist political language prejudices opposition like this. It must! That's the crucial insight. As a minority position that can't attract the normal majority, leftism deeply recognizes that it can only win by undemocratic means: by preventing, stifling or forestalling opposition by legal or social pressure. By treating those who disagree with its agenda with extreme hostility and intolerance, beginning by labeling them something beyond the pale. All leftist political terms mean is 'this one's fair game.' Leftists don't have political terms, they just have point-and-shriek. Just like the pods do in Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978). Those who can't persuade must stifle to achieve their ends, and the larger part of stifling isn't laws so much as media and social abuse. Laws simply record the victory, as often as not. Dominate the media, the teaching institutions, teach everyone to fear being called X. Condition the public to fear your labels and they'll never step out of line. Thus does a tiny minority control a large majority.

What makes politics difficult to understand is that we associate binary thinking and black-and-white moralism with the right, rather than the left. This is by design of the left, as most things are. Part of its necessary campaign of demonization of normal whites. Unfortunately, normal whites, broadly construed, includes lots of dumb-religious folks, who are easy to caricature. Indeed, mere description is enough to curl the lip. These salt-of-the-earth types, as they will be described at their funerals, think in black and white because they're not very smart, and that's how their level thinks. Yet the high-end left think in black and white too. That part is seldom mentioned. These types are every bit as fundamentalist as the ones the fundamentalists they denounce - and with less justification.

Anything that works against anger and fanaticism endangers illiberalism. The high-end right is where the good stuff is found - tempered, mature, serious, gray-seeing adult reflections: reflect, appreciate, understand...prescribe. High-end right is best suited to run things but usually doesn't precisely because of its virtues, which leave it unable to cultivate the unstoppable fanaticism frequired required to dominate the scene. The high-end right's entire way and mentality and preference-set militate against, well, militarism. It's too calm. It sees too far. It knows too much. Politics is usually dominated by the hot and close up. The perfervid, intolerant left usually wins, even as an extreme minority position, precisely because it refuses to listen to reason. It is galvanized by its hatred of reality. In a perverse way, rejecting reality for ideology requires a much stronger will and personality than reality-orientation... If you believe in God, you have to explain this curiously horrible setup. The believer takes recourse, I say refuge, in the sillyism "God works in mysterious ways" to avoid the logically inevitable (if you believe God is behind All This) conclusion based on what I said above - God is a sadist. That's too frightening for the believer. But look at the evidence: they are likeliest to take power -- in any system -- who are worst suited to lead. Thanks, God! As a man-manufacturer, you suck worse than China.

I cast my mindpool for examples of the 'sensitive' leftist mentality. I think of examples from Gawker ring writers and my twitter feed. The right tries to discuss the statistics of homosex, with an eye toward rational examination of its remarkable morbidity. This quickly becomes, to use the two examples that spring to mind, "obsess[ion] with anuses" (feminist Jezebel writer Lindy West), or 'fan of gay pornography,' as one twitter critic of Peter LaBarbera (a christian homosex critic) baited him. The left will do anything to avoid rational discussion of its agenda. That's obvious. Anyone reading the mass media for a month can see that. The insight is that it must be this way. It's not a choice. Why get involved with politics from an impossible-minority position unless you're willing to tyrannize and suppress the opposition? If you don't do that, you have no chance. So there's no point to getting into politics in the first place, as a leftist, unless you're willing to play unfairly while talking the good honest upfront democratic will-o'-the-people game. Either play to win, or stay in the closet is true not just for homosexualists, but for all leftists. Open borders? Hating the markets? Loving niggers? Loving deviant sex? Socialism/communism? All of these are minority positions. Even where the left ventures into something that does have majority support, such as protection of the environment, it turns out to be a fashionable cloak for the same old maggot-infested socialist corpse.

Demands that one be 'sensitive' amount to veiled demands that one not question or challenge the leftist or his agenda item. Just give in. Don't be 'controversial' - another seemingly neutral word with an easily defined function in practice. No one supporting the leftist, i.e., Big Jew-set, position is ever insensitive or intolerant. Those opposing always are. It's a silly game, but it works. So long as the right fails to unite on a racial basis and scientifically study and in general take seriously the verbal war, it will continue to suffer defeat, as the enemy holds all the high ground. Not the moral high ground, which is the silly obsession of congenitally-incapable-of-getting-it conservatives, but the high ground on which the transmission equipment is placed.

Now let's get to those words I mentioned from Wallace. He killed himself a couple years ago; his last work, the uncompleted The Pale King (2011), was put together posthumously by his publisher.

4) swivet -

Wallace uses swivet at least three times over 700+ pages. Swivet is

Quote:
a state of nervous excitement, haste, or anxiety; flutter: I was in such a swivet that I could hardly speak.

Origin: 1890–95; origin obscure
Wallace use:

Quote:
5 This latter is a good example of the sort of thing that threw the publisher's legal people into a swivet of anality and caution. (p. 72)
Makes sense. Never come across it before. With obscure origin, probably some kind of slang. Hard to know why to use it rather than a more common term without knowing its etymology - which particular type of fear or excitement does it connote? I would not. Even a small reason is enough to use one word rather than another, even if the one is more obscure; without that knowledge, it's better to use the common word. We know what swivet means now, but I, at least, do not feel I understand it well enough to use as even uncommon parlance or simple variation.

5) lalation -

Quote:
Sometimes at night the sounds of the fire carried, or the circling planes, or those of long-haul trucks on 54 for Santa Fe whose tires' plaint had the quality of distant surf's lalation..." (p. 61)
Have seen this word before - seen and forgotten. I believe it sounds like what it says. Lapping. The term for that, as you probably learned in English class, is onomatopoeic, where a term sounds like the thing it refers to: meow, for instance. The word is the sound. Onomatopoeic is the Greek-derived term for that practice or effect. There's a Greek term for pretty much every rhetorical technique. It doesn't really matter if you know them, so long as you know how to achieve effects with words. The Greek technical terms are extremely hard to remember unless you're dealing with them daily, and that's why few but English teachers know more than a few of them. I'm guessing from vague memory and the context above that lalation is onomatopoeic for a sort of lapping, repetitive noise, as a wave makes. Now I'll look it up.

Well now...doesn't mean what I thought. I misremembered. That's vagueness for you.

But...it's not clear whether lalation exists, or whether it's simply Wallace's misspelling of lallation, which is defined:

Quote:
lal·la·tion [la-ley-shuhn]
noun Phonetics.

a speech defect in which l is pronounced instead of r, or in which an l- sound is mispronounced.
I found this too:

Quote:
lalations

lallation (noun): imperfect speech, especially the repetition of meaningless sounds by babies
On (again) the other hand, though, we need to acknowledge that in this age of Hollywood “message” films and focus-group screenings and pernicious Nielsenism—Cinema By Referendum, where we vote with our entertainment-dollar either for spectacular effects to make us feel something or for lalations of moral cliches that let us remain comfortable in our numbness—Lynch’s rather sociopathic lack of interest in our approval seems refreshing/redemptive (if also creepy).
Wallace, David Foster. “David Lynch Keeps His Head” A Supposedly Fun Thing I’ll Never Do Again. New York: Bay Back Books, 1997, p192.

Ok...so we have something here. Lallation is either baby-babble or the Tom Brokaw disease. Food, noise or anything normally associated with babies is helpfully applied to anything nominally adult -- should we wish to criticize or make fun of it, as Wallace does in the usage above.

6) neotenous -

Quote:
"...sitting there with his neotenous face blank and his hat in his lap..." (p. 414)
Neoteny (pronounced knee-OTT-en-ee) is a biological term for: "the persistence of larval or fetal features in the adult form of an animal. For example, the adult axolotl, a salamander, retains larval external gills"...

I'm not sure if Wallace means another way of saying baby-faced by this, or if he simply means that unlined and preternaturally fetal aspect that the visages of some people with comparatively undeveloped or unprominent features seem to have. He uses the term to describe the older, experienced David F. Wallace in the Wallace mixup at the IRS agency he's describing; if he used the neotenous to refer to himself, the younger DFW, I would think neotenous might refer to his lack of experience at the agency having left him unmarked, though he were fully adult, if young. But he uses it to describe the older DFW, so I'm not sure what to think other than baby-faced.

7) virid -

Quote:
"The third remedy would be to sacrifice, for the greater good and convenience of everyone except perhaps the REC's landscaping contractor, the virid expanse of the empty front lawn..." (p. 282)
You can guess this has something to do with green or vegetation, can't you? Verdure we are familiar with. We know verde is green in Spanish. Must have something to do with green/nature, given the lawn reference. Good example of the ability to guess a word from context. Let's look it up.

Yes indeed, from Latin viridis, meaning green.

Quote:
vir·id
adjective
green or verdant: the virid woodlands of spring.
So it's simply a synonym for green the color.

8) celadon -

Pronounced SELL-a-don.

Quote:
"...and the cream, salmon, and celadon of the offset colors realistic, if slightly dated."
(p. 284)
Definition:

Quote:
cel·a·don [sel-uh-don, -dn]
1. any of several Chinese porcelains having a translucent, pale green glaze.
2. any porcelain imitating these.
3. a pale gray-green.

Origin:
1760–70; named after Céladon, name of a character in L' Astrée, a tale by H. d'Urfé (1568–1625), French writer

Celadon is a
Celadon Celadon
glaze, ware, color.

9) lemniscate -

Quote:
"...in souvenir I survived Leonard Steyck's 11th Birthday Blowout Bash 1964 plastic glasses w/ built-in lemniscate Krazy Straws the guests were to keep as mementos..."(p. 35)
Lemniscate is a term belonging to analytic geometry.

Let's leave it there and not kid ourselves we'll ever use it save we're in the math biz, which we ain't.

10) guilloche -

Pronounced gill-OSH. NOT like guill in guillotine!

Quote:
"...the only decorations the alphabet in construction paper on a cork guilloche that ran above the blackboard." (p. 257)
If you've been to public school, you can picture what he's talking about, but I've never come across the term guilloche before.

Quote:
— n
an ornamental band or border with a repeating pattern of two or more interwoven wavy lines, as in architecture

[C19: from French: tool used in ornamental work, perhaps from Guillaume William]
A very specific term for a very specific thing. Hard to think of a comedic or metaphoric use; a term for a specific type of border design and, well, that's about it.

We'll leave it there for today, having finished Wallace. Next week we'll look at some words I collected in Kirk's book on academia, which was some of the subject matter covered in my podcast #007.

Other than that, I am fresh out of collected material, so any questions or terms for discussion, feel free to post. In these columns, I try to cover ordinary terms, political terms, and new terms. As with everything I write, it dovetails and reinforces and calls back to things I've written and said elsewhere. Repetition and reinforcement help sink in the knowledge until it becomes a working part of us.

Until next time...stay low, don't get beat.//

Thread