Alex Linder
Administrator

On Language
Grex and Grok

By Alex Linder
[index]

April 21, 2014

1) grex -

This is a word I've encountered only one place: The Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978), not the original in 1956, The movies are all about pods replacing people. The pods are aliens from outer space, and they are little green vegetables rather than little green men. The pods, which grow full-scale replica humans to replace the original humans, begin as small pink-flowering plants, and the character calls them "grex." Looking it up, it means "a group of plants that has arisen from the same hybrid parent group." Hmm...that helps a little, but this is better:

Quote:
The term grex (pl. greges), derived from the Latin noun grex, gregis meaning flock, has been coined to expand botanical nomenclature to describe horticultural hybrids of orchids, based solely on their specified parentage.[1] It is a type of the "Group" category,[1] which is used to describe cultivated plants in practical ways that are not necessarily related to their biological classification.
It would seem grex could be used, usefully, about the same way one could use pod people to describe, say, the products of political correctness - i.e., public school victims. Yet the average reader is likelier to grok what is intended by pod people than grex, so makes sense to go with the former.

2) grok -

This is a term that used to be seen sometimes a few decades ago; it comes from sci-fi writer Robert Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land (1961). It means to grasp, to understand, to assimilate a concept. To get it. A water brother is grokking up what you're putting down...man.

Quote:
water brothers
Those who have "shared water", that is, affirmed mutual complete trust, understanding, and acceptance. A Martian ritual, adopted by Earth friends of Valentine Michael Smith. (Stranger in a Strange Land)
Used to see these terms back in the '60s and '70s but don't hear as much about Heinlein today, just when the occasional film is made from one of his stories (Starship Troopers (1997), for example).

3) give back -

We discussed this last column, and it was mentioned by Craig Cobb in a recent letter:

ALEX -- ONE OTHER FACT: AM RADIO & TV REPORTS HERE USED THE PHRASE "GIVE BACK" LIKE THIS -- "COBB HAS AGREED TO GIVE BACK HIS PROPERTIES IN LEITH TO THE CITY." I WROTE JIMMY MARR OR SOMEBODY ABOUT THAT RIGHT AWAY. LIKE I HAD HIJACKED AN ARMORED CAR & I WAS TO "GIVE BACK" THE LOOT. I DID'T EVEN BUY ANY OF THE PROPERTIES FROM THE CITY. SO WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH THE "GIVE BACK." THEN JIMMY SENT ME YOUR REVIEW OF THE PHRASE. SO THESE SO-CALLED CHRISTIAN CONSERVATIVES -- AT LEAST, THEIR LOCAL MEDIA -- EFFORTLESSLY PLUGGED-IN THE "GIVE BACK" TO A LOCAL RIGHTIST'S QUANDRY.

TO BOOT, IT WAS ANNOUNCED IN COURT BY STATE'S ATTORNEY TODD A SCHWARZ (THE SAME GUY WHO REFUSED TO BRING CHARGES AGAINST A SINGLE ONE OF THE DEATH THREATENERS, THIEVES, VANDALS, BIRD-FLIPPING DRIVEBY FUCK YOUERS, NIGHTSKY LEITH SHOOTERS, BODILY-PUSHERS, ETC.).

4) correct use of reticence

"In fact, Venturi was the classic architect-intellectual for the new age: young, slender, soft-spoken, cool, ironic, urbane, highly educated, charming with just the right amount of reticence, sophisticated in the lore and the strategies of modern architecture, able to mix plain words with scholarly ones, historical references of the more esoteric sort -- to Luytjens, Soane, Vanbrugh, Borromini -- with references of the more banal sort -- to billboards, electric signs, shopping-centers, front-yard mailboxes." --Tom Wolfe, From Bauhaus to Our House (1972), p. 106 [pdf]

So that makes Lew Rockwell (enormity) and Tom Wolfe (reticence) two examples of men who know what they're doing. Perhaps we've reached a sad state when correct use deserves recognition, but even so, I think it's worth pointing out. The reason for reading better writing is the reason for eating better food - better for your mind, as better food is better for your body. Empty carb fiction is ok, but the better stuff will teach you more than just its subject; you will learn new thing
En_passant En_passant
, which is French for 'in passing,' but means a special type of pawn move in chess.

5) scapegoat

When the anti-white media go after right-wing groups they hate, this is one of their favorite terms to throw around. Right-wingers, whites, never blame people for harm they've actual done, they 'scapegoat' innocent illegal aliens, black youfs or some other verbally protected and legally privileged class.

Scapegoat derives from the common English translation of the Hebrew term azazel.

Quote:
Once a year, on the tenth day of the seventh month in the Jewish calendar, the Day of Atonement, the High Priest of Israel sacrificed a bull for a sin offering for his own sins. Subsequently he took two goats and presented them at the door of the tabernacle with a view to dealing with the corporate sins of God's people — the nation of Israel. Two goats were chosen by lot: one to be "The Lord's Goat", which was offered as a blood sacrifice, and the other to be the "Azazel" scapegoat to be sent away into the wilderness. The blood of the slain goat was taken into the Holy of Holies behind the sacred veil and sprinkled on the mercy seat, the lid of the ark of the covenant. Later in the ceremonies of the day, the High Priest confessed the sins of the Israelites to Yahweh placing them figuratively on the head of the other goat, the Azazel scapegoat, who "took them away" never to be seen again. The sin of the nation was thus "atoned for" (paid for) by the "The Lord's Goat" and "The Azazel Goat".
So...jews sin...goats get the blame. So it was in the olden days. Today, jews sin, whites get the blame. Media jews accuse whites of scapegoating when they, for example, hold illegal aliens the jews have let into the country responsible for their crimes. The original goats, after all, did nothing wrong. The people the jews accuse whites of 'scapegoating' are in the nation illegally - and then on top of that molesting the locals in various ways. So they are at a minimum twice-guilty, rather than unguilty. Typcial jewy verbal effrontery - chutzpah, as they call it. Blaming someone for what he has actually done is not and can never be scapegoating, which means making some other party bear the burden of your sins. Scapegoating is practically the nature, meaning and mission of the chewish peepuhl. All jews do is blame others for their sins, whether those people are caprines or hominids. Jewspeak: 'Extreme right-wing nativist extremist racist haters blame innocent minority people of color paperless irregular hardworker-migrants for crimes they committed themselves, probably." Reality: "Natives blame illegal alien criminals for crimes they commit against natives - on top of their illegal entry into a functional and settled country."

Jews are the kind of people who create a god dumb enough to choose jews and accept this special-needs people's passing off responsibility for its sins onto a...barnyard animal. Mmmkay...

6) intensive purposes

Tardspeak most obnoxious. The retard doesn't read, it watches tv. The term intents and purposes is foreign to it. It is familiar with 'intense' through televised repetition, so it mishears intents and purposes to be intensive purposes. Which doesn't even really make sense, but tards aren't tards because they think about what they're doing or saying. Tards are not just those who don't know, they're those who don't think knowing matters. Meta-tards, some would call them. Society would be well served if a Spayer General were secretly employed to drive about the
country zapping the balls and frying the ovaries of dolts using this disgusting bit of iambic dumbtameter.

The more illiterate the country becomes, thanks to widespread public schooling, the more of ip we'll see:

Quote:
Yet by opening the doors as wide as 'anyone with a vagina can say anyone with a penis raped them, and for all intensive purposes that penis is labeled a rapist from there on out'- has caused problems. Link.
Intensive purposes is of a piece and on a par with short sided for short-sighted, and deep seeded for deep seated. Problems only reading can cure, really, hence, incurable.

7) err

Again - ur, not air.

8) poisonous vs venomous

Here I go the opposite way: I don't think this distinction matters. I don't observe it. I don't think it's a distinction at all. One is supposed to say venomous rather than poisonous when it comes to snakes, yet when you look up venomous what do you find?: poisonous. Venom is too easy to misspell; for that reason I prefer poisonous. It's also better to use venomous figuratively, for someone who is spiteful or hateful, rather than literally poisonous, as with a scorpion. My modest rebellion needn't be everyone's, but I think I can defend it. I used my artistic license in "Snake a Snake for Jesus" to put across the following line as a middle finger to our Grammasters:

A poison snake's the only kind
To demonstrate your faith is pure clean through...so...

(You can hear that song and two hours of other stuff here.)

9) Alljuda and Asphalt and Verjudung

Two NS terms pertaining to yids and yidkultur. Alljuda was a term common by 1920s "among anti-Semites as a shorthand term for the international Jewish conspiracy." Today, we'd say, "The Alljuda instructed Samaras to shut down Golden Dawn, and he leaped to comply, throwing the democratically elected leaders of the party in jail pending the May 2014 European elections." Asphalt was a negative adjective describing the effect of urbanization on people and institutions. The Nazis contrasted the pure urban farm life of real Germans with the polluted, morally and physically, big-city life of the yiddy dreckmeisters. Verjudung is the intrusion of Jewish influences and attitudes on German institutions, dating to at least 1880s. This concept is better put across as jewing, which I have used at VNN from day one. Our institutions have been jewed, whether our immigration control or our money supply or our mass communications. Jews means taken over by jews, instilled with jewish mindset, made to think and act like jews or like jews want or in accordance with an agenda set by jews.

10) misuse of PC

Stephen A. Smith refers to Donovan McNabb's "toeing the company line" as PC. Incorrect. PC has nothing to do with public relations, just as it has nothing to do with manners, good or otherwise. Political incorrectness means deviation from an ideological line. That line is set by jews, and it is always anti-white. Those who don't grasp the politics involved often misperceive the intent behind the term. They pick up only on its stridency. Thus any departure from any code will be seen as a politically incorrect looseness. The irony is that looseness itself is the ultimate politically correct double-plus good thing, as personal and political laxness are indicated for goyim by Dr. Jew in order to cure their body politic of 'anti-semitism,' which is the nonexistent disease the quack has diagnosed in them. 'Anti-semitism' is merely the natural reaction to jews experienced by whites, and not just by whites, by other races too. Jews think and act in ways hostile to the other races they live among. They know this. They design terms to prejudice the natural reaction as some kind of mental malady. This is 'anti-semitism.' They come up with an entire verbal code which must be followed in order to create the environment in which their kind can flourish. Departures from their verbal code, or from any behavior, verbal or otherwise, they dictate for whites, is true and genuine political incorrectness, and must be punished. Whatever is healthy and good and normal for whites; whatever is merely accurate in political terminology - these must be made illegal or immoral or in any case and by any means beyond bound, and any transgressions must be hard punished. See Paula Deen or a thousand others.

11) perekovka

This is a Soviet term, from paleo-communism. It means reform through labor. It means 'reforging.' It was a newspaper.

Historically, perekovka connects with both the gulag generally and the White Sea-Baltic Canal project specifically.

Quote:
The canal was constructed by forced labour of gulag inmates. During its construction by a total of 126,000 workers, about 12,000 died, according to the official records,[1] while historian Anne Applebaum's estimate is 25,000 deaths.[2]
Quote:
The Soviets portrayed the project as evidence of the efficiency of the Gulag. Supposedly "reforging" "class enemies" (political prisoners) through "corrective labor", the working conditions at the BBK Camp were brutal, with the prisoners given only primitive hand tools to carry out the massive construction project.
The gulag were work camps, labor camps, scattered through the miserable taiga, as recorded most famously in Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's
One Day In the Life of Ivan Denisovich One Day In the Life of Ivan Denisovich
and
The Gulag Archipelago The Gulag Archipelago

12) si xiang gai zao

This is a term from Chinese communism meaning thought reform. Gettin' your head right, you dig? So perekovka means labor reform, and si xiang gai zao means thought reform. This guy oddly says it's not brainwashing, but, oh yeah, it is coercive. Thought 'redevelopment' - by any term, it means forcing you to think the way they want rather than the way you want. Guy says:

Quote:
It is interesting to note that the official term used and preferred by the Chinese Communists was si xiang gai zao, which literally means "thought redevelopment". Thought redevelopment, unlike "brainwashing", has no coercive and derogatory connotation. (That is very hard to believe.) It merely implies that there is something lacking or wanting in the original condition that warrants a change in thought. Hence "thought redevelopment" is technically compatible with citizenship and moral education -- a salutary nation-building endeavor carried out by many governments today. What is objectionable about the Communists' thought redevelopment, in my view, is not the intention but the method used: it was forced upon the prisoners who were subjected to immense and prolonged physical, mental, and emotional abuse. Link.
They're going to beat you starve you work you until you come around. Or die. Either one is ok. The Chinese gulag, or work system, or concentration came system, was called laogai.

We'll leave it there for this week. It's Turkey Week in NEMO; one already in the bag, pics and perhaps video coming up. As always, if you have any grist for this language mill, do post. I'm down to my last two scoops of saved up words. New column next week by noon CST as always... Thanks for reading, thanks for circulating on twitter/elsewhere. AlexLinder5 on twitter. //

Thread