Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old December 5th, 2013 #161
Alex Linder
Administrator

My SO works as a fleet diesel mechanic for a large energy company and makes over 80k per year, has a pension, great health care and benefits and he only went to to a technical school for 2 years after high…

See? That's how it's done. I would be very surprised if this kind of job isn't just as valuable 50 years from now as it is today.

Old December 5th, 2013 #162
Alex Linder
Administrator

I'm telling you - the solution I advocated long ago is more viable than ever. If you would study in a soft field, something where knowledge is opinion rather than fact, eschew college, avoid the loan oubliette, and simply claim you have the relevant degree. The chance you'll be caught is negligible. A System that teaches marxist shit to morons for tens of thousands a year deserves to be cheated itself. There is no independent criterion by which one can separate the claimed Erie State Communications B.A. (or B.S., no idea) from the genuine article.

I truly regret not having been born in the age of the internet. If I had, I would never, ever, ever have gone to college, even with someone else paying for it. I would have worked and run stuff on the Internet, and taken classes where I could dig up a teacher or professor or private tutor who actually knew something I wanted or needed to know.

Believe me, the old scoffs are old because they're the best. They're ever-relevant. They are, among others:

On nuns: God sure loves ugly women.

On professors/teachers: Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.

Those gibes are insuperable and unanswerable because the essential truths they contain are undeniable.

Last edited by Alex Linder; December 5th, 2013 at 01:24 AM.

Old December 19th, 2013 #163
Roger Bannon

http://m.wimp.com/acceptedcollege/

The guy can't even comprehend the acceptance letter.

Old December 20th, 2013 #164
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Bannon View Post
http://m.wimp.com/acceptedcollege/

The guy can't even comprehend the acceptance letter.
You beat me to it, good job.

This is the ultimate reductio ad absurdum of 'higher' education:

A retard gets admitted to Clemson. He can't read his acceptance letter.

http://gawker.com/young-man-with-dow...pte-1486585749

I mean, you can't get no 'Kwanier than this. A RETARD is ADMITTED to COLLEGE but he CAN'T READ his own ACCEPTANCE LETTER. Then you hear his more retarded mom bleating about how he's going to be a "college" student.

What can I say? Truly...what can I say?

This is a joke come full circle, and perfect in itself.

Old December 20th, 2013 #165
Nate Richards

Well, it's special college but yeah it's a fun watch since they've all gotten pretty special.

Old December 20th, 2013 #166
Alex Linder
Administrator

There's your perfect christian scenario: love and hatred of intelligence come together in a literal retard being admitted to college. Who can deny that christ-insanity is devolutionary?

Old December 20th, 2013 #167
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Richards View Post
Well, it's special college but yeah it's a fun watch since they've all gotten pretty special.
I know...but this is only in degree different from the massive scam of online colleges. The point here is that

1) this guy can't do college work. I'm not blaming him or attacking him, I have no beef with retards or genetic botches, they happen, I don't even think they should be executed. I just don't think that normal or above average people should be dragged down in any way by defectives, whether genetic defectives or behavioral defectives. Our human technical ability has allowed us to create a society in which human creatures that formerly could not have survived can now not only survive but flourish. We must use our intelligence to see that these problem-causers don't outweigh and drag down the problem-solvers. We are clearly failing at that task as we move into 2014.

2) I would bet that this 'tard is not getting special 'tard rates, he's probably being admitted because his parents can supply copious 'tard tuition. Clemson will play along with this joke to suck money out of rubes and the botches they welp. That doesn't speak well for Clemson. None of the participants in this little charade come off well. There are functions for retards. They can cook fries or stuff envelopes. And they're happy doing that. And useful. Pretending to go to college is ridiculous, particularly if others are forced to subsidize this charade.

College is a debt scam.

Last edited by Alex Linder; January 15th, 2014 at 04:45 PM.

Old December 20th, 2013 #168
luftwaffensoldat
Witness to Genocide

He got accepted into ClemsonLIFE, which is a program designed for retards. You need an IQ of 115 to successfully complete a regular college degree; of course, that retard would never be able to hack a basket-weaving program, even if he wanted to. This is just proof that higher education is a money-making racket and that education officials will go to extraordinary lengths to fleece a gullible public.

Last edited by luftwaffensoldat; December 20th, 2013 at 06:16 PM.

Old December 20th, 2013 #169
MikeTodd
Pussy Bünd "Commander"

Quote:
A retard gets admitted to Clemson. He can't read his acceptance letter.
so the fuck what? neither can their defensive backfield.

Old January 15th, 2014 #170
Alex Linder
Administrator

College presidents - huge salaries, small abilities. And 99% of them are PC and hostile to free thought as any priest or rabbi.

http://gawker.com/here-are-the-most-...meric-14841096

Old February 9th, 2014 #171
Alex Linder
Administrator

R.Saddler ‏@Politics_PR 11h
RT @CallOut4: Hamline professor's post on student loan debt goes viral

he has it reversed: it's fed involvement that is the reason

1) sub-college minds are going to 'college'

2) related to 1), huge growth in number of colleges and universities since WWII

3) government-sponsored debt encourages growth in number of students and growth of institutions (SUB-college-level intellectually) by subsidizing them with fed-backed bankruptcy-non-dischargeable student loans

Most of what is called 'college' isn't college level. Thus, it's an intellectual scam. Since lots of money is loaned to these people under fraudulent pretenses, it is also a debt scam.

The nation has become Lake Woebegone writ large - everybody is above average. Since that's so, it is obvious that everybody needs to go to college.

Last edited by Alex Linder; February 10th, 2014 at 04:15 PM.

Old February 10th, 2014 #172
Roger Bannon

Don’t feel like writing that essay? Pay an unemployed professor to do it for you

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...163714821.html

Old February 10th, 2014 #173
Alex Linder
Administrator

college student dies from overstudying

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-weather.html

Old February 10th, 2014 #174
ernst blofeld

This site is filled with chilling personal stories of how fucked
a generation of college students are because of their student loans.
There are very few jobs available in few fields which will enable
these debts to ever be paid off.
And on top of their student loan payments they will now have to buy
very expensive health insurance that they don't need thanks to Obamacare

http://occupystudentdebt.tumblr.com/

Old February 20th, 2014 #175
Alex Linder
Administrator

many kids major in binge drinking and minor in falling off balconies
http://gawker.com/frat-houses-are-de...aps-1527117472

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/...nities/357580/

there used to be a doctrine called in loco parentis - in place of the parents. that left with the sixties judeo-revolutions. women were liberated. no parents needed. no guidance. no prepared set of courses. everything left to choice.

liberaty isn't inherently good - it depends on the creature in question - what it can and will do with that liberty. kids without college-level brains, without self-control, are sent far from home to college, where they too often fall into bad patterns

Quote:
The Dark Power of Fraternities

A yearlong investigation of Greek houses reveals their endemic, lurid, and sometimes tragic problems—and a sophisticated system for shifting the blame.

Caitlin Flanagan
FEBRUARY 19, 2014

243 Comments
One warm spring night in 2011, a young man named Travis Hughes stood on the back deck of the Alpha Tau Omega fraternity house at Marshall University, in West Virginia, and was struck by what seemed to him—under the influence of powerful inebriants, not least among them the clear ether of youth itself—to be an excellent idea: he would shove a bottle rocket up his ass and blast it into the sweet night air. And perhaps it was an excellent idea. What was not an excellent idea, however, was to misjudge the relative tightness of a 20-year-old sphincter and the propulsive reliability of a 20-cent bottle rocket. What followed ignition was not the bright report of a successful blastoff, but the muffled thud of fire in the hole.

Also on the deck, and also in the thrall of the night’s pleasures, was one Louis Helmburg III, an education major and ace benchwarmer for the Thundering Herd baseball team. His response to the proposed launch was the obvious one: he reportedly whipped out his cellphone to record it on video, which would turn out to be yet another of the night’s seemingly excellent but ultimately misguided ideas. When the bottle rocket exploded in Hughes’s rectum, Helmburg was seized by the kind of battlefield panic that has claimed brave men from outfits far more illustrious than even the Thundering Herd. Terrified, he staggered away from the human bomb and fell off the deck. Fortunately for him, and adding to the Chaplinesque aspect of the night’s miseries, the deck was no more than four feet off the ground, but such was the urgency of his escape that he managed to get himself wedged between the structure and an air-conditioning unit, sustaining injuries that would require medical attention, cut short his baseball season, and—in the fullness of time—pit him against the mighty forces of the Alpha Tau Omega national organization, which had been waiting for him.

It takes a certain kind of personal-injury lawyer to look at the facts of this glittering night and wrest from them a plausible plaintiff and defendant, unless it were possible for Travis Hughes to be sued by his own anus. But the fraternity lawsuit is a lucrative mini-segment of the personal-injury business, and if ever there was a deck that ought to have had a railing, it was the one that served as a nighttime think tank and party-idea testing ground for the brain trust of the Theta Omicron Chapter of Alpha Tau Omega and its honored guests—including these two knuckleheads, who didn’t even belong to the fraternity. Moreover, the building codes of Huntington, West Virginia, are unambiguous on the necessity of railings on elevated decks. Whether Helmburg stumbled in reaction to an exploding party guest or to the Second Coming of Jesus Christ is immaterial; there should have been a railing to catch him.

And so it was that Louis Helmburg III joined forces with Timothy P. Rosinsky, Esq., a slip-and-fall lawyer from Huntington who had experience also with dog-bite, DUI, car-repossession, and drug cases. The events of that night, laid out in Helmburg’s complaint, suggested a relatively straightforward lawsuit. But the suit would turn out to have its own repeated failures to launch and unintended collateral damage, and it would include an ever-widening and desperate search for potential defendants willing to foot the modest bill for Helmburg’s documented injuries. Sending a lawyer without special expertise in wrangling with fraternities to sue one of them is like sending a Boy Scout to sort out the unpleasantness in Afghanistan. Who knows? The kid could get lucky. But it never hurts—preparedness and all that—to send him off with a body bag.

College fraternities—by which term of art I refer to the formerly all-white, now nominally integrated men’s “general” or “social” fraternities, and not the several other types of fraternities on American campuses (religious, ethnic, academic)—are as old, almost, as the republic. In a sense, they are older: they emanated in part from the Freemasons, of which George Washington himself was a member.
“Until proven otherwise,” Fierberg told me in April of fraternities, “they all are very risky organizations for young people to be involved in.”

Last edited by Alex Linder; February 21st, 2014 at 02:05 AM.

Old February 24th, 2014 #176
Alex Linder
Administrator

Katie Hopkins: A liberal arts degree is a waste of time

217 comments

Katie Hopkins
14 February 2014

Let’s face it. Most of us aren’t all that bright. Sixteen per cent of us have an IQ below 85 – that’s about the level of intelligence you need to need to drink through a straw. And even a high IQ is no a guarantee of success. According to a study cited by Professor Joan Freedman in The Gifted Child, only six from a sample of 210 ultra bright children turned out to be successful adults.

So, even those blessed with an abundance of grey matter can stuff things up royally on contact with real world things such as parking meters or women who cry a lot. In a busy office with a bunch of invoices to process, and difficult people to manage, a grasp of Homer and a Grade 8 Distinction in the Harp are about as useful as a giraffe to a Copenhagen zoo.

What we need, then, is an education system — and particularly a higher education system — that first and foremost equips the majority of the workforce with useful skills. The Liberal Arts, by which we mean non-vocational, non-technical, non-professional university degrees, just don’t do that. Like sex or chocolate, time spent pondering life with a whimsical expression is an indulgence. Don’t get me wrong — I am a liberal arts fan. My enduring love for Boris Johnson is built on my belief he can speak Latin and Greek fluently. And even as an atheist, I follow Papal tweets in Latin. I haven’t a clue what he is banging on about, but it lifts my spirits.

Liberal arts are perfect if you are Boris and have the personality to disseminate the wisdom you have garnered with the verbosity of a man firing on semi-automatic. If you have a fondness for your own reflection and sound of your own voice, they are also valuable. The aptly named Mr. Self, who I’ll be debating on this subject next month, is testament to this.

But if you are Dwayne from inner city Hull, growing up in a tough council estate with limited life chances – the liberal arts are about as useful as a pink jumper. It is the technical colleges that fulfill an essential function. They can transform young people into employees fit for business. Students can study part time, work within the college serving customers and spend a considerable part of their student career working with employers keen to hire them in the future.

For graduates, creating a budget for Q1 or Q2 is not a simple task unless you have a basic grasp of business strategy and finance. Compiling a spreadsheet to track product volumes is easier if you know how to make spreadsheets. It’s not sophisticated, or sexy, but it is important. Theorising, philosophising and scientific endeavour are noble pursuits — but they can be pursued later, after you have learned how to get on in life. In a world driven by business, in which individuals must make money, whether we like it or not, A Liberal Arts Degree is for the vast majority of us, a waste of time and money. And I dare you to say otherwise, Mr Self.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeeh...waste-of-time/

Old March 26th, 2014 #177
Alex Linder
Administrator

Grad School Is a Debt Machine

America's student debt burden has been on the rise for years, along with America's class of incredibly well-educated retail workers. A new report reveals who's driving the train to debt hell: grad students. Don't do it!

Do you really need to go to grad school? For the vast majority of those of you considering going to grad school, the answer is "probably not." So consider this a bit of data to encourage you to skip it. Take a year off. Travel the world. Hitchhike. Join the Peace Corps. Be a bartender. Huddle in a remote cabin and write your novel. Learn the trombone. All of these are good, affordable activities to pursue as you consider the findings of today's New America Foundation report, which shows that the increase in the debt load of graduate students in the past decade makes the student debt load for undergrads look paltry by comparison. From the Wall Street Journal:

The typical debt load of borrowers leaving school with a master's, medical, law or doctoral degree jumped an inflation-adjusted 43% between 2004 and 2012, according to a new report by the New America Foundation, a left-leaning Washington think tank. That translated into a median debt load—the point at which half of borrowers owed more and half owed less—of $57,600 in 2012.

The increases were sharper for those pursuing advanced degrees in the social sciences and humanities, versus professional degrees such as M.B.A.s or medical degrees that tend to yield greater long-term returns. The typical debt load of those earning a master's in education showed some of the largest increases, rising 66% to $50,879. It climbed 54% to $58,539 for those earning a master of arts.

Important to note here that the the cost of grad school degrees that will not earn you any money have increased more than the cost of grad school degrees that—while expensive—will eventually earn you money. At this rate, the cost of graduate degrees that exist primarily to give driftless, artistic-minded people in their late 20s something to do for a couple of years while they figure shit out will eventually catch up to the cost of graduate degrees that exist primarily to give driftless, money-minded people in their late 20s something to do for a coupe of years while they figure shit out. If you really want to shudder, take a look at the six figure debt loads carried by grad students in the 90th percentile of debt. There's a one in ten chance that could be you. Every motherfucker in the world thinks they have a shot at hitting the lottery, which has odds of one in 259 million, but the best-educated students in America do not believe that they are signing up for several decades worth of debt slavery when they enroll in grad school, even though the odds of that are better than the odds of your art history degree landing you that curator gig at the Met.

The only graduate degree that has not significantly increased in cost in the past decade: a business degree. Probably because business students can do math. (This should not be interpreted as advice to go to business school.)

http://gawker.com/grad-school-is-a-d...ine-1551066625

Old March 31st, 2014 #178
Alex Linder
Administrator

Student, 18, falls ten stories to her death after falling off balcony railing she was sitting on after night of partying

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...pus-party.html

Old April 2nd, 2014 #179
Alex Linder
Administrator

another student falls to death, after eating pot cookie

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/s...ookie-23160788

(these falling deaths happen all the time)

Old April 7th, 2014 #180
Alex Linder
Administrator

[fucking amazing...you PAY to put up with this shit. these retards cant realize this broad is healthy, no matter her weight. she doesn't fit their retarded chart, so she must change. mind-boggling]

http://www.nhregister.com/general-ne...hool-officials

Yale student , 92 lbs., stuffed her face with Cheetos, ice cream to pacify school officials

Yale University junior Frances Chan has spent months battling with the university over her weight.
By Jim Shelton, New Haven Register
POSTED: 04/06/14, 6:38 PM EDT | UPDATED: 1 MIN AGO 237 COMMENTS
NEW HAVEN >> Frances Chan says she’s done stuffing her face with ice cream and Cheetos just to make Yale University happy. After months of wrangling, the university finally agrees.

The 20-year-old history major has spent the past few months sparring with Yale’s health center over her low weight. Chan is 5’2” and 92 lbs., and Yale doctors were concerned her health was severely at risk.

She contended that she’s always been very thin, as were her parents and grandparents at her age.

Yet until Friday, Yale had been telling Chan she might be forced to leave school if she didn’t put on some pounds.

“It felt really bad to be this powerless,” Chan said, taking in some afternoon sun in a campus courtyard. “I ate ice cream twice a day. I ate cookies. I used elevators instead of walking up stairs. But I don’t really gain any weight.”

Chan’s battle over her weight began last year. In September, she went to Smilow Cancer Hospital at Yale-New Haven to have a breast lump checked. The lump was benign, but the visit led Yale Health to take a closer look at Chan’s overall health.

Since December, Chan has had multiple medical appointments and mandatory weigh-ins. She met with a nutritionist and a mental health counselor, as well, to determine whether she might have an eating disorder. She said a nurse told her at one point that her low weight would kill her if she didn’t do something about it.

Although she attempted to do as she was told and eat more, Chan only managed to gain two pounds. Yale said that wasn’t enough.

Yale spokesman Tom Conroy said Friday the university was not allowed to discuss an individual student’s medical treatment, due to medical privacy regulations. “Yale has a strong system of mental health care for students,” Conroy said.

He also noted that Yale Health Director Paul Genecin recently sent all students an email detailing improvements to campus mental health services. Those improvements include a student advisory committee on mental health and a series of “listening sessions” with groups of students.

Meanwhile, Chan’s parents in New Jersey contacted Yale Health officials to explain that she’d always been thin, but healthy. Chan’s family also sent Yale her childhood medical records and had a family doctor contact Yale.

By the time spring break rolled around, Chan decided she’d had enough. Spurred on by friends and other classmates, she wrote an essay about her experience for the Huffington Post. As a result of that piece, Chan began hearing from others who’d been through the same thing.

“It’s something we need to bring attention to,” Chan said. “I don’t want to get kicked out of school, but no one, so far, has been willing to stand up for me.”

The root of the problem, Chan said, was that Yale placed too much emphasis on the body mass index as the guiding measure of a person’s health. Body mass index, or BMI, is a number determined by a person’s weight and height. It is often used as a screening tool for a variety of possible weight problems in adults.

Chan said she’s contacted Yale Health officials many times, bringing up the idea that BMI may not be the best indicator of overall health for every person. She said a Yale doctor told her that while BMI is, indeed, only one factor, it is highly important.

With the end of the academic year just weeks away, Chan was anxious to satisfy Yale’s demands even if she can’t gain much more weight. Her parents came to New Haven to meet with health officials on campus, and she’s switched to a new physician.

Also, Chan has wrote to Yale President Peter Salovey to make him aware of her situation.

“At Yale, you’re taught to be the change that you want to see in the world,” Chan said. “Well, this seems like an easy thing to change.”

On Friday, she learned just how easy. Chan said her new physician acknowledged that BMI was not the only significant measure of proper health.

“So she trusts that I do not have an eating disorder and admitted that ‘we made a mistake,’” Chan said.

Chan, for her part, agreed to continue coming to Yale Health for monitoring — but only once a semester.

And her next bowl of ice cream? That will be for pleasure, not pounds.

Call Jim Shelton at 203-789-5664. Have questions, feedback or ideas about our news coverage? Connect directly with the editors of the New Haven Register at AskTheRegister.com.

Tags
edu-business

Thread