VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old October 31st, 2017 #221
Alex Him

Smile

Viktor Vasnetsov (X)

Букет. Абрамцево (1880-ые) / A bouquet. Abramtzevo (the 1880s)

Abramtsevo (the estate of Mamontovs) - https://vnnforum.com/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=203

Затишье (1881) / Quiet (1881)

Дуб в Ахтырке (1880) / An Oak in Akhtyrka (1880)

Here - https://vnnforum.com/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=205 - I gave the wrong information.
Akhtyrka is a village near the estate of Mamontovs.

Дубовая роща в Абрамцеве (1883) / Oak Grove at Abramtsevo (1883)

Каменный век (1882-1885) / Stone Age (1882-1885)

This is a frieze in the Moscow Historical Museum.

Пруд (1881) / A pond (1881)

Осока (1881) / Sedge (1881)

Один в поле воин (1914) / One man in field is warrior (1914)

In contrast to the Russian proverb: One man in field not warrior.

Old October 31st, 2017 #222
Alex Him

Smile

Vladimir Borovikovsky

Portrait of Vladimir Borovikovsky
by Ivan Bugaevsky-Blagodatny

"Vladimir Lukich Borovikovsky (1757-1825) - (Russian: Влади́мир Луки́ч Боровико́вский) was a Russian painter of Ukrainian origin who dominated portraiture in Russia at the turn of the 19th century.

Vladimir Borovikovsky was born in Myrhorod (now Ukraine) on July 24, 1757. His father, Luka Borovyk was a Ukrainian Cossack and an amateur icon painter. According to the family tradition, all four of Borovyk's sons served in Myrhorod regiment, but Volodymyr retired early at the rank of poruchik and devoted his life to art — mostly icon painting for local churches.

Borovikovsky may have lived the remainder his life as an amateur painter in a provincial town if not for an unexpected event. His friend Vasyl Kapnist was preparing an accommodation for Empress Catherine II in Kremenchuk during her travel to newly conquered Crimea. Kapnist asked Borovikovsky to paint two allegoric paintings (Peter I of Russia and Catherine II as peasants sowing seeds and Catherine II as a Minerva) for her rooms. The paintings so pleased the Empress that she requested that the painter move to Saint Petersburg.

After September 1788 Borovikovsky lived in Saint Petersburg where he changed his surname from the Cossack "Borovyk" to the more aristocratic-sounding "Borovikovsky". For his first ten years in Saint Petersburg, he lived in the house of the poet, architect, musician and art theorist, Prince Nikolay Lvov, whose ideas strongly influenced Borovikovsky's art. At the age of 30 years, he was too old to attend Imperial Academy of Arts, so he took private lessons from Dmitry Levitzky and later from Austrian painter Johann Baptist Lampi.

In 1795 he was appointed an academician. He became a popular portrait painter and created about 500 portraits during his lifetime, 400 of which survived to the 21st century. He had his own studio, and often relied on assistants to paint the less important parts of a portrait. His sitters included members of the imperial family, courtiers, generals, many aristocrats, and figures from the Russian artistic and literary worlds. Most of his portraits are intimate in style.

Borovikovsky never taught in the Imperial Academy of Art but pupils lived in his home. Among them were Alexey Venetsianov and Bugaevsky-Blagodarny (who painted the only survived portrait of Vladimir Borovikovsky).

After 1819 Borovikovsky became a Freemason, member of a lodge Dying Sphinx. At that time he mostly painted icons, including Iconostasis of the Smolensky Cemetery church and some icons for Kazan Cathedral in Saint-Petersburg.

On April 6, 1825 he died suddenly of a heart attack and was interned in the Lazarus Cemetery of the Alexander Nevsky Monastery in Saint Petersburg."

The text was taken from Wikipedia.

Дети с барашком (1790) / Children with lamb (1790)

Архангел Гавриил / Arkhanghel Gabriel

Архангел Гавриил (1810-ые) / Arkhanghel Gabriel (the 1810s)

Архангел Гавриил (1793–1794) / Arkhanghel Gabriel (1793–1794)

Архангел Гавриил (1804–1809) / Arkhanghel Gabriel (1804–1809)

Апостол Филипп и ангел (1824–1825) / Apostle Philip and an angel (1824–1825)

Архангел Михаил (1814–1815) / Archangel Michael (1814–1815)

Архангел Михаил (1810-ые - первая половина 1820-ых) / Archangel Michael (the 1810s - first half of the 1820s)

Архистратиг Михаил (1793–1794) / Archangel Michael the leader of the angelic army (1793–1794)

Дети у престола, охраняемые архангелом Михаилом (Вторая половина 1810-х — 1820-ые) / Children at the altar guarded by the archangel Michael (The second half of the 1810s - the 1820s)

Old October 31st, 2017 #223
Alex Him

Smile

Vladimir Borovikovsky (II)

Лизонька и Дашенька (1794) / Elizabeth and Darya (1794)

They were maidservants of a nobleman. But here they are certainly represented in accordance with the then-noble fashion.

Портрет Родиона Александровича Кошелева / Portrait of Rodion Alexandrovich Koshelev

Rodion Alexandrovich Koshelev (1749-1827) was a close supporter of imperor Alexander I. He was an influential mystic and a freemason, as well as a vice-president of the Russian Biblical Community.
From January 1, 1810, Koshelev was appointed a Member of the State Council. Then he was appointed chairman of the commission of the State Council, and Ober-Hofmeister (1809). In addition, he was a real secret councilor (1808) and a chamberlain.

Портрет Мелании Ивановны Голубцовой (1806) / Portrait of Melania Ivanovna Golubtsova (1806)

She (1777-1827) was the wife of the state treasurer and finance minister Fyodor Alexandrovich Golubtsov. Her maiden name was von Haller.

Портрет Павла Семеновича Масюкова (1817) / Portrait of Pavel Semyonovich Masyukov (1817)

He (1793-1864) served in a hussar regiment. He participated in the war of 1812, foreign campaigns and the capture of Paris.

Портрет неизвестного в синем кафтане / Portrait of an unknown man in a blue caftan

Женский портрет / Portrait of an unknown woman

Женский портрет (1805) / Portrait of an unknown woman (1805)

Мужской портрет / Portrait of an unknown man

Портрет неизвестной в голубой шали (1795) / Portrait of an unknown woman in blue shawl (1795)

Портрет торжковской крестьянки Христиньи (1795) / Portrait of Christina (Peasant woman from the suburb of Torzhok city) - (1795)

Old November 1st, 2017 #224
Alex Him

Smile

Vladimir Borovikovsky (III)

Портрет Екатерины II / Portrait of Catherine II

Catherine the Great - https://vnnforum.com/blog.php?b=1208

Портрет Екатерины II, русской императрицы (1779) / Portrait of the Russian Empress Catherine II (1779)

Екатерина II на прогулке в Царскосельском парке (1794) / Catherine II on a walk in the park of Tsarskoye Selo (1794)

Behind the Empress stands a column erected in honor of the Battle of Chesma - https://vnnforum.com/blog.php?b=1259

Екатерина II на прогулке в Царскосельском парке (1800-1810) / Catherine II on a walk in the park of Tsarskoye Selo (1800-1810)

Behind the Empress stands an obelisk erected in honor of the Battle of Cahul - https://vnnforum.com/blog.php?b=1260

Портрет Павла I / Portrait of Paul I

Emperor Paul I of Russia - https://vnnforum.com/blog.php?b=1261

Портрет Павла I, российского императора (1796) / Portrait of the Russian Emperor Paul I (1796)

Портрет императора Павла I (1800) / Portrait of Emperor Paul I (1800)

Портрет Павла I в костюме гроссмейстера Мальтийского ордена (1800) / Portrait of Paul I in the costume of the Grandmaster of the Order of Malta (1800)

Old November 7th, 2017 #225
Alex Him

Smile

Vladimir Borovikovsky (IV)

Портрет великой княгини Марии Фёдоровны. Эскиз (1796) / Portrait of Grand Duchess Maria Feodorovna. Sketch (1796)

https://vnnforum.com/blog.php?u=23212

Портрет императрицы Марии Федоровны в кавалерском мундире (Не ранее 1796) / Portrait of the Empress Maria Feodorovna in Cavalier's Tunic (Not earlier than 1796)

Портрет императрицы Марии Фёдоровны (1790-ые) / Portrait of Empress Maria Feodorovna (the 1790s)

Портрет императрицы Марии Фёдоровны / Portrait of Empress Maria Feodorovna

Портрет Александра I / Portrait of Alexander I

https://vnnforum.com/blog.php?b=1271

Портрет Императора Александра I в мундире лейб-гвардии Преображенского полка / Portrait of Emperor Alexander I in the uniform of the Life Guards Preobrazhensky Regiment

Портрет Императрицы Елизаветы Алексеевны (1795) / Portrait of Empress Elizabeth Alekseevna (1795)

https://vnnforum.com/blog.php?b=1272

Портрет Императрицы Елизаветы Алексеевны (1814) / Portrait of Empress Elizabeth Alekseevna (1814)

Портрет Великого князя Константина Павловича (1795) / Portrait of Grand Duke Konstantin Pavlovich (1795)

https://vnnforum.com/blog.php?b=1273

Портрет Великой княжны Александры Павловны / Portrait of Grand Duchess Alexandra Pavlovna

https://vnnforum.com/blog.php?b=1274

Old March 15th, 2019 #226
Alex Him

Smile

Vladimir Borovikovsky (V)

Портрет М. И. Лопухиной (1797) / Portrait of Maria Lopukhina (1797)

She (1779-1803) was nee Tolstaya.

Портрет В. И. Арсеньевой (1795) / Portrait of Vera Arsenyeva (1795)

She (1760-1828) was nee Ushakova.

"Portrait of Darya Nikolaevna Khvostova" is a portrait of her second daughter - https://vnnforum.com/showpost.php?p=...0&postcount=49

Портрет Е. Н. Арсеньевой (1796) / Portrait of Catherine Arsenieva (1796)

She (1778-?) was the eldest daughter of Vera Arsenieva.

Портрет Варвары Андреевны Томиловой (1800-ые) / Portrait of Varvara Tomilova (the 1800s)

She (1784-1823) was nee Melgunova.

Here is her other portrait and portraits of her husband Alexey Tomilov - https://vnnforum.com/showpost.php?p=...6&postcount=45

Портрет Екатерины Александровны Новосильцевой (1794) / Portrait of Catherine Novosiltseva (1794)

Портрет Ольги Кузьминичны Филипповой (1790) / Portrait of Olga Filippova (1790)

Портрет Анны Сергеевны Безобразовой (конец 1790-х) / Portrait of Anna Bezobrazova (late the 1790s)

She (1745-1809) was nee Urusova.

Портрет графини Веры Николаевны Завадовской (1790-ые) / Portrait of Countess Vera Zavadovskaya (the 1790s)

She (1768-1845) was nee Apraksina.

Портрет Екатерины Владимировны Родзянко (1821) / Portrait of Catherine Rodzyanko (1821)

She (1794-1877) was nee Kvashnina-Samarina.

Портрет Елены Александровны Нарышкиной (1799) / Portrait of Elena Naryshkina (1799)

The first time she (1785-1855) married Prince Suvorov, in the second marriage she married Prince Golitsyn

Old March 16th, 2019 #227
T.Garrett
Banned

Post Russian painters

'You must spread more reputation around ...'

Great thread.

Old March 17th, 2019 #228
Alex Him

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Garrett View Post
'You must spread more reputation around ...'

Great thread.
Thank you very much

For me this is the most difficult topic. Preparation of any post here takes from several hours to a whole day.

The hardest thing is to determine whether this painting was really painted by this artist.

For example: Портрет Екатерины Кропотовой / Portrait of Catherine Kropotova

On many sites, this picture is among the paintings of Borovikovsky.

But on one of the sites it is write that this portrait is "excluded from the number of works by Borovikovsky on the basis of stylistic and technological data."

What should I do with the portrait after all this?

On the one hand there is a categorical opinion without references, for example, to an art critic, and on the other hand there are several sites that are also not managed by art historians.

Therefore, I ask everyone to treat my posts with a certain amount of skepticism. I could (inadvertently) to repeat someone’s erroneous identification for some pictures.

Tags
white art

Thread