Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old November 2nd, 2020 #1
justin c

Default Interested in using Linux for your operating system instead of Windows spyware?

I think we should all be using more secure operating systems. If you use windows you are getting a lot of your personal data harvested by microsoft who are kiked to the core. Linux has come a long way and it's pretty dang easy to use and install these days after you get over the initial learning hurdles.

Step one: Download Linux
For newbies I recommend Linux mint, there are three options available and these are all graphical choices for the aesthetic of your desktop. Cinnamon, mate or xfce. I recommend xfce, the most minimal and least demanding on hardware.

Get the ISO here:
https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Step two: Install it onto CD or USB
Here's an in-depth tutorial on how to get the operating system (ISO) onto the thumb drive (USB), using unetbootin.
https://linuxconfig.org/create-a-boo...-ms-windows-10

Step three: Install it onto your PC
You need to place your USB into your computer and during startup, boot the system from the USB instead of your harddrive. Now you will do the install process which will install the operating system onto your harddrive and you won't need the USB after that.

Once the computer boots from the USB and you load up Linux mint, the install process is dead simple. As well as using it for general things like web browsing, writing documents, watching movies. You don't need to be technical whatsoever. There is an install wizard which walks you through and you just click some buttons.

Here is a guide for booting from USB.
https://www.acronis.com/en-eu/articles/usb-boot/

Quote:
Press the Power button for your computer.
During the initial startup screen, press ESC, F1, F2, F8 or F10. (Depending on the company that created your version of BIOS, a menu may appear.)
When you choose to enter BIOS Setup, the setup utility page will appear.
Using the arrow keys on your keyboard, select the BOOT tab. All of the available system devices will be displayed in order of their boot priority. You can reorder the devices here.
Move USB to be first in the boot sequence.
-----

That's it. Enjoy your faster computer without the spying.

Please note, you can't expect the programs you use in windows to work in Linux, though a lot will, and there are Linux alternatives to most programs you used in Windows. You will need to be more technical to accomplish this. As I said above, if you are just doing normal stuff on your computer like browsing the web, reading pdfs, watching movies, you will have no problems.

If you are a gamer, you can get a lot of games working in Linux, but you will need to be technically inclined and troubleshoot as you go.

If you have any questions I can try my best to help, I've been using Linux for about 10 years now. You couldn't pay me to go back to windows.
PM me if you prefer being discrete.

Last edited by justin c; November 2nd, 2020 at 02:26 PM.

Old November 2nd, 2020 #2
Tony Boone

Old November 3rd, 2020 #3
justin c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Boone View Post
Yeah, a Mac is certainly better than Windows for privacy. But Linux is even better. The less corporate overlords meddling with your shit the better, no?

A windows privacy solution for those that know for certain they won't try Linux

There is a tool I've come across (I'm interested in computer security and privacy as a hobby), which will disable a lot of the windows spyware elements in your computer that you can download for free. It's actually shocking looking at that tool, and seeing how much stuff it can disable for you. How much data microsoft is actually harvesting, this is no joke people.

The tool is located here, made in Germany. Hail!
https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutup10
O&O ShutUp10 means you have full control over which comfort functions under Windows 10 you wish to use, and you decide when the passing on of your data goes too far. Using a very simple interface, you decide how Windows 10 should respect your privacy by deciding which unwanted functions should be deactivated.

O&O ShutUp10 is entirely free and does not have to be installed – it can be simply run directly and immediately on your PC. And it will not install or download retrospectively unwanted or unnecessary software, like so many other programs do these days!

Old November 3rd, 2020 #4
Tony Boone

Last edited by Tony Boone; November 3rd, 2020 at 05:02 PM.

Thread