VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old July 6th, 2009 #141
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kievsky View Post
Donnie,

Take cuttings from your Cherokee purple tomatoes, like the side branches, and stick 'em in the ground. They'll grow into full blown tomato plants in no time. Don't worry when you see them wither the first week. Growing tomatoes from cuttings makes the plant very aggressive once it sets roots.

I'll certainly try cloning, Rob. Doing online research on it right now.

A big part of the business next year will be selling established heirloom vegetable plants grown from seed/cloned in our greenhouse(s).

Old July 31st, 2009 #142
Joe_J.
Radio active

My garden is pumping out the veggies on a regular basis.

Picked up a copy of Mother Earth News today. They have a special on growing fall crops. I am hoping I will find some good ideas in there.

Old March 28th, 2010 #143
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Default Git yo' plant on niggas

Life Rune Organic Farms has grown to Godzilla-size. We now have 7 acres under till.

We now have a greenhouse, which we currently have over 1.5K seedlings growing. We have 127 varieties of tomato plants.

We also purchased several large capacity composters which will allow us to add fresh compost on a (hopefully) weekly basis.

Rainwater collection (capacity for .5K gallons) has been secured from multiple locations.

Get out there and grow, guys.

Old March 28th, 2010 #144
George Witzgall

that is frikken' awesome. sounds like you're having a lot of fun building this thing up. it's inspirational how you've really thrown yourself into this business and how much you've accomplished in just the course of a year. keep us updated.

Old March 28th, 2010 #145
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Witzgall View Post
that is frikken' awesome. sounds like you're having a lot of fun building this thing up. it's inspirational how you've really thrown yourself into this business and how much you've accomplished in just the course of a year. keep us updated.

It is fun George. Spring hit and I felt it. You look over the fields and you can actually smell the soil prepping itself for the coming season.

We are really having a blast. I am now a member of the local Organic Growers Co-Op. I have always had a knack for business, and I have made money on anything I ever did but I guess I truly am a farmer at heart.

We had far more demand last year than we could supply. The greenhouse will allow us to sell mature seedlings on May 1rst. 'Maters mostly, although we have seeds of just about everything.

My Wife is also going to produce baskets of hanging wave petunias to sell at the roadside location.

Last edited by Donnie in Ohio; March 28th, 2010 at 07:33 PM.

Old March 28th, 2010 #146
OTPTT
Banned

Donnie,

If you have time would you give a brief description on the business end of it? Information on how you price your produce. Did you have to get the soil tested to call your produce 'organic?' Anything that you think would be helpful to someone wishing to start a similar venture. TIA!

By the way, anyone notice that almost every post here is in the top three on Google almost as soon as it's posted?

For example.

Old March 29th, 2010 #147
Moose

This is truly impressive Donnie. When you said you were contemplating this last year I did a lot of research into independent greenhouse businesses. Not that I could do it myself as I could never afford it in a million years, but because I can half-way keep myself sane thinking that I might one day be an entrepreneur. Looking at angles like this really gets my mind sharp.

Apparently most of these businesses fail before even getting off the ground because the people didn't know what they were getting into, assumed too much. But the fact that you're expanding after only your first year is really a testament to your brilliant Whiteness. And not to mention the fact that you're really passionate about gardening. You must really be living the dream as they say.

Congratulations, and I too would like to be kept up to date on your progress.

Old March 29th, 2010 #148
Joe_J.
Radio active

Donnie, I am glad to see that this has worked out so well for you.

I have some chard, spinach and kohlrabi(?) in the ground. Asparagus should be up soon that I planted last year.

Nothing is better than eating your own food.

Old March 30th, 2010 #149
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
This is truly impressive Donnie. When you said you were contemplating this last year I did a lot of research into independent greenhouse businesses. Not that I could do it myself as I could never afford it in a million years, but because I can half-way keep myself sane thinking that I might one day be an entrepreneur. Looking at angles like this really gets my mind sharp.

Apparently most of these businesses fail before even getting off the ground because the people didn't know what they were getting into, assumed too much. But the fact that you're expanding after only your first year is really a testament to your brilliant Whiteness. And not to mention the fact that you're really passionate about gardening. You must really be living the dream as they say.

Congratulations, and I too would like to be kept up to date on your progress.

Thanks for the kind words, Moose.

We are extremely fortunate that we have several established prime locations to sell from.

It really is true that location is key above all else. The location in front of my old business (that we access for free) would cost 5K to rent for the duration of the Farmer's Market season. The main site is right outside a popular state park, which draws tens of thousands of picnic buyers every Spring/Summer/Fall.

We also have lots of land to use however we want, and being retired I can devote a great deal of time to securing new outlets for sales of our produce.

I (or someone else from LROG) personally visited just about every non-fast food restaurant/bar in two counties, extolling the virtues of locally grown organic produce, and how they could market it as such to their clientele. The results have been amazing.

I don't post on VNNF much anymore, and I don't want to hijack this important thread with details of LROG. If I have the time (and inclination) I'll update my blog with what we are doing this year.

I urge all WN to grow at least some of their own food. It's therapeutic.

Last edited by Donnie in Ohio; March 30th, 2010 at 07:20 PM.

Old April 7th, 2010 #150
Joe_J.
Radio active

Well, my garden is finally, totally in for the year. Added some blueberry bushes this year, too. Thankfully, my doc got me in shape enough to be able to get out and get things done.

I missed out on potatoes this year. I wanted to try the 100 lbs of potatoes in four square feed concept. Maybe I will shoot for a fall crop.

Nothing makes me happier than seeing Spring come and watching my stuff grow bigger and bigger.

Quote:
I don't post on VNNF much anymore, and I don't want to hijack this important thread with details of LROG. If I have the time (and inclination) I'll update my blog with what we are doing this year.
Post it, Donnie. It isn't hijacking at all, IMO. We are interested in how you are doing and how you are doing it.

BTW, we have a local organic grower here that is getting bigger every year. One of the things they are doing is offering weekly deliveries of veggies for a fee. You pay up front for the season, monthly, or weekly. They list what you will get for your money. Pretty interesting concept, I thought. Gives them a customer base.

Old April 17th, 2010 #151
George Witzgall

donnie and joe and everyone please post. the reason i haven't is i've gotten a late start. but today is a BEAUTIFUL day! It's the kind of day that makes you rejoice in being a gardener. I'm gonna get out there and fix up my plots and do dome planting this weekend. Heil Thor.

Ray, I hope it is beautiful in Alaska 'cause it sure is nice and mild and beautiful here in Maryland. I want you to rejoice with me for this day that God has given us.

Also, i want to grow some heirloom tomatoes. where do folks buy the seeds for these? it's not too late to start tomatoes from seed if I start right away.

Old April 17th, 2010 #152
ray bateson
baппed

Quote:
donnie and joe and everyone please post. the reason i haven't is i've gotten a late start. but today is a BEAUTIFUL day! It's the kind of day that makes you rejoice in being a gardener. I'm gonna get out there and fix up my plots and do dome planting this weekend. Heil Thor.

Ray, I hope it is beautiful in Alaska 'cause it sure is nice and mild and beautiful here in Maryland. I want you to rejoice with me for this day that God has given us.

Also, i want to grow some heirloom tomatoes. where do folks buy the seeds for these? it's not too late to start tomatoes from seed if I start right away.
A useless passion, because there is no 'God' here.

The darkness suffices.

Old April 17th, 2010 #153
George Witzgall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray bateson View Post
A useless passion, because there is no 'God' here.

The darkness suffices.

something grew there at one point. it will come again, to judge the living and the dead, and its kingdom will have no end.

Old April 17th, 2010 #154
George Witzgall

I purchased a bunch of heirloom tomato seeds at victory seeds. they seem like a good outfit.

I live in the center of a suburban city in the olde towne district, and I set up a veggie stand last year (I didn't man the stand, folks weighed the produce themselves and paid or put rainchecks in a slotted money-box; and I sold everything for $1/lb - green beans, tomatoes, butternut squash mainly). most people actually paid more than that or rounded up (still in total I made only about $900). everyone in the neighborhood is pestering me to do it again this year.

Donnie inspired me with his idea of selling heirloom tomatoes. Ideally I should have started the tomatoes in planters already a few weeks ago, but I got a late start. I'm also gonna sell green beans and squash since they are a cinch to grow lots of.

Last year was tough since it rained so much and I had a real problem with disease.

Another issue I have is I would like to use organic fertilizers, but I don't want to use the composted manure at home depot, or even local nurseries, since I don't know what the hell is in there. I mean, there could be chemicals and diseases and hormones and what not, right? Just not keen on animal manure, but composting is a pain in the ass and requires lots of greens, and takes time. So I'm prolly gonna use chemical fertilizers again this year, oh well. What do you use Joe?

Old April 18th, 2010 #155
Joe_J.
Radio active

We have a local place here called BB Barns. Not sure if they are franchised or not. Anyway, they carry non-GMO seed and the majority is heirloom. That is where I get my tomato and other seed.

I am a little early on my garden but wanted to get it in while I felt good. We have a frost warning for tonight but right now the only stuff I have up are early Spring veggies.

My asparagus came back this year.

George, I make compost out of leaves, grass clippings, household stuff (leftover food, coffee grounds, egg shells, etc.). I do buy some fertilizer and use it sometimes. If you don't want to use cow or chicken manure then you might try rabbit. I don't think you even have to compost rabbit manure. Horse manure might be another option but I don't know anything about it.

Old April 18th, 2010 #156
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
I purchased a bunch of heirloom tomato seeds at victory seeds.

What heirlooms are you growing this year?

Two words: Cherokee Purple. Get some. Best 'mater ever.

Remember to save several (of everything) for your seed bank. We have gotten over a 90% germination rate from (all) seeds we harvested last year.

BTW... Joe, PM me your addy and I will send you out some Cherokee Purple seeds. You too George, if you want a few.

Last edited by Donnie in Ohio; April 18th, 2010 at 06:47 PM.

Old April 18th, 2010 #157
Joe_J.
Radio active

I planted some Cherokee Purples this year. I hope they come up. Last year, we had too much rain and blight went on a rampage. I lost every tomato plant that I had. Everyone around here did. This year, so far, it has been drier. In fact, we are at 20% humidity and that is pretty odd for our area.

Donnie, I hope that your business takes off again. It sounds like things are going great. Unlike you and George, I have not tried to sell anything. If I can get around to adding more raised beds (or grow boxes, as my neighbor calls them), I might try it.

Old April 24th, 2010 #158
George Witzgall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie in Ohio View Post
What heirlooms are you growing this year?

Two words: Cherokee Purple. Get some. Best 'mater ever.

Remember to save several (of everything) for your seed bank. We have gotten over a 90% germination rate from (all) seeds we harvested last year.

BTW... Joe, PM me your addy and I will send you out some Cherokee Purple seeds. You too George, if you want a few.
OK I'm following your advice and growing (in planters): Cherokee Purple, Black Krim, Brandywine (Red) and Delicious. Plus peppers, green beans, acorn and butternut squash, zuchinni, sweet potatoes, as well as lettuce, swiss chard, beets, turnips. Basically I'm going to be working my ass off this summer lol. But at least me and my friends and family will have some good food. And the neighborhood also appreciates my market (I'll be selling tomatoes, zuchinni, green beans, winter squash).

I just hope the summer isn't too wet. I'm real worried about disease.

Old April 27th, 2010 #159
Kyrik

Quote:
(snip) I'm real worried about disease.
Some practical advice on that problem:

Quote:
"Here are some ways in making sure that you are on alert for STD prevention:

1. Abstain from Sexual Activity: Of course this is usually more appropriate for the more prudent members of the society, or those who have actually taken a vow of chastity. Abstinence for STD prevention is quite a drastic measure to take, and may not be so realistic for most adults, especially who have committed themselves to long term partners and those who plan to have children.

2. Choose Sexual Partners Carefully: STD prevention is highly probable if one is able to really select their sexual partners. This is a very important guideline, by which people are encouraged to maintain a sexual relationship with a single partner for a long period of time. Monogamy is highly encouraged in order to maintain STD prevention. It is also a very good idea to ensure that your partner has not had any other or has not had a variety of sexual partners prior to your relationship. If this is the case, then what would be a very good step to take is to have both of you tested for any possibility of having sexually transmitted diseases. This will be necessary to prevent the spread of any possible disease from being passed on to other people, especially if a couple is thinking of creating a family in the future.

3. Engage in Safe Sex: If monogamy is too boring for your lifestyle, then the next best step to take is to practice safe sexual relations. Making sure that your partner has no sexually transmitted disease by carefully examining them, or even to the point of asking them point blank if they have been personally vigilant about STD prevention, would be an acceptable practice prior to engaging in a possibly risky sexual activity. Use of protection, such as condoms or dental dams, may be uncomfortable or may decrease the enjoyment of the sexual activity, but this will highly reduce the risk of any of you acquiring viruses of sexually transmitted diseases from your potential partners.

4. Consult a Healthcare Practitioner: If the third step was not observed, then the next thing to do is to consult a healthcare practitioner immediately after having unprotected sex. Another step involved in this is to refrain from other sexual activities after having unprotected sex, so that in case you have contracted a virus, then it would not be spread unnecessarily. This step should be taken even if one has not exhibited any symptoms of an STD. STD prevention goes beyond preventing it from happening to you, but this goes to the extent of preventing STDs from spreading to other people.

5. Stop being Gay: homosexuality leads to many diseases including but not limited to: Thrush Mouth, Gay Bowell syndrome (Diapers necessary), AIDS, HIV, Hepatitus, STDs, Violence, Protracted Rectum, Hernias, fungal infection, Feces Infected Penises, imprisonment (where illegal), among many others."

Old August 17th, 2010 #160
Amy

We have just moved into a new place, and there is a spot in the yard (approximately 10' x 12') that I would like to start as a garden plot. It will be my first attempt, and I am clueless as to how to begin.

I am assuming that all I could really do with it at the moment is prepare the ground for planting. Any advice would be appreciated!

Tags
#1, gardening, neo-amish movement

Thread