Vanguard News Network
Pieville
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 5th, 2019 #1
Alex Linder
Administrator

Default Have You Ever Had Anything Happen To You You Can't Explain Rationally?

I had an English (((teacher))) who believed in ghosts. And a boss's boss who saw UFO (I personally heard him tell me and a table of people this story). I had a roommate whose mother's boyfriend was a commercial pilot and had seen a UFO but would not admit it publicly for obvious reasons.

How about you?

Last edited by Alex Linder; March 5th, 2019 at 03:02 PM.

Old March 5th, 2019 #2
Crowe

Used to know a nutter who was paranoid about being abducted by aliens. This guy had his windows sealed up with foil, because he said that's how they teleport in and out. His demeanor was quite schizophrenic.

Me and another prankster decided to make a fake crop circle behind his house, it was just a circle with a ring around it, and we used our feet and some wood to press down the grass. A friend of mine was his neighbor, and he told him he saw a bright light in the field behind his house, and there was a crop circle. Would have loved to see the look on his face, but supposedly, he spaz'd out and ran in his house, and boarded himself in.

I was maybe 21 or 22 at the time. We thought it was hilarious. I love trolling nutters.

As far as UFO-aliens are concerned, I'd need to see hard evidence. A real one standing in front of me, a dead one that's more than a Hollywood prop, or technology that couldn't possibly be ours.

Last edited by Crowe; March 5th, 2019 at 11:49 AM.

Old March 5th, 2019 #3
Alex Linder
Administrator

the craziest things that ever happened to both sides of my family:

1) my maternal grandmother was bitten by rattlesnake on ear, goes into coma (6yo). (this is around SF, northern calif) doesn't come out. someone tells them about christian science. they pray, and she does comes out. that's illogic to me, but i wouldnt exist if she hadnt.

i think the rattlesnake was in a bush, how it got to ear level. really the story should have been written down formally. you will notice there is IRrationality involved, but nothing supernatural. in my opinion.

2) father's side. my paternal grandfather and dad and two uncles were in a car coming home somewhere in back county (adair misso., where i am now), a black panther ran across the road in front of them. absolutely no mistaking what it was. four non-drunk Linders saw it. my grandfather was so disturbed by the sighting he wouldnt ever talk about it, it was so out of place. they never saw any reports about any cats missing from circuses or zoos. this was probably the 1950s. there ARE panthers roaming more places than you'd think, ive had multiple people tell me they've seen them or their tracks. and there are verified reports of them at different times in Missouri Conservationist.

Last edited by Alex Linder; March 5th, 2019 at 03:17 PM.

Old March 5th, 2019 #4
Mike in Denver
Enkidu

This still annoys me and I've come up with no explanation.

In 1994 I had to go to Kansas City. I'd driven it enough time that the I70 route bored me, so I drive I36, to see some new country...it wasn't too much out of the way and I wasn't in a hurry.

I had breakfast in Denver and got underway. In St Francis Nebraska I stopped for gas. It was a rental car and t took me about 20 minutes to figure out the gas flap and other stuff. I left St Francis about 11:40. And, yes I really did check the time...my wristwatch, the car clock, and the clock inside the service station. I wasn't hungry at all and figured I'd stop off in a few hours in some town and eat lunch.

I drove about 15 minutes and immediately felt really hungry. I looked at the car clock. It was 3:45. I checked my wrist watch...3:45. I was completely stunned, but figured that I must have somehow gotten hypnotized and driven for 4 hours in a hypnotic state. I drove into a town, pulled into a small restaurant. I asked and then checked on the map. I was about 12 miles from St. Francis. I checked the gas and the tank was full. Even if I had driven slowly, the tank would be nearly empty. It had taken me 4 hours to drive 12 miles.

I had a good memory of the drive...it seemed that I could remember pretty much the whole time, and I knew that I have driven 55 mph or so. I remembered passing a couple of work trucks.

Did I have a stroke? I would have crashed. I had no symptoms of anything except I'd gone from full tummy to really hungry.

Any theories?

Mike

Old March 5th, 2019 #5
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Denver View Post

In 1994 I had to go to Kansas City. I'd driven it enough time that the I70 route bored me, so I drive I36, to see some new country...it wasn't too much out of the way and I wasn't in a hurry.

I had breakfast in Denver and got underway. In St Francis Nebraska I stopped for gas. It was a rental car and t took me about 20 minutes to figure out the gas flap and other stuff. I left St Francis about 11:40. And, yes I really did check the time...my wristwatch, the car clock, and the clock inside the service station. I wasn't hungry at all and figured I'd stop off in a few hours in some town and eat lunch.

I drove about 15 minutes and immediately felt really hungry. I looked at the car clock. It was 3:45. I checked my wrist watch...3:45. I was completely stunned, but figured that I must have somehow gotten hypnotized and driven for 4 hours in a hypnotic state. I drove into a town, pulled into a small restaurant. I asked and then checked on the map. I was about 12 miles from St. Francis. I checked the gas and the tank was full. Even if I had driven slowly, the tank would be nearly empty. It had taken me 4 hours to drive 12 miles.

I had a good memory of the drive...it seemed that I could remember pretty much the whole time, and I knew that I have driven 55 mph or so. I remembered passing a couple of work trucks.

Did I have a stroke? I would have crashed. I had no symptoms of anything except I'd gone from full tummy to really hungry.

Any theories?

Mike
that's fucking bizarre. it sounds like twilight zone. maybe you crossed the mountain time zone to central, but that would only account for one hour. that colorado east of denver and western kansas/neb could put anyone to sleep, though.

Old March 5th, 2019 #6
Emily Henderson
Intellijintly Dezined

Quote:

Any theories?

Mike
Scary thought but the one rational explanation might be what they call an 'absence seizure'. They're short though, like 30 seconds--- but can happen several times per hour in some people who have them. They aren't left confused or anything afterward either--however you remember the drive, so you were at least somewhat aware of what was going on.

Some people get ravenously hungry after a seizure. A couple of the kids I worked with had seizure disorders so I've read a bit on the different kinds.

25 yrs later tho so you prob don't have a ton to worry about even if so, but it's a thought.

Old March 5th, 2019 #7
Alex Linder
Administrator

the four hours was your drive from denver to st francis

Old March 5th, 2019 #8
Emily Henderson
Intellijintly Dezined

Default Several Things, and it Used to Make Me a Belieber in Jeboo

One in particular thing that I used to think was God telling me something:

When I was little, maybe three or so, I had this strong urge, like something telling me but not audible, to go behind the giant TV and look out the window. NOW. I didn't do it at first cuz it was hard to shimmy back there and I didn't know why I should, but I kept having the 'idea' that I was supposed to, so I finally did.

I saw a long cloth blowing in the yard up the road and got a scared feeling and went and got my mom to look at it. I didn't know why it made me feel scared but it did.

She thought I was being a weird lil child but looked, and had a hard time getting back there but did it because I insisted over n' over. Then she saw it and looked for a while, it looked like just something laying in the yard blowing, so she told me to go play.

Later we found out it was our neighbor, Nina Lampkin, who had some sort of medical event and had fallen--what I'd seen was some part of her clothing, the rest of her was obscured by the flower bed. My mom was real upset by not realizing it was something, but she was rescued anyway later and was okay.

I had only met her a few times and I remember she didn't talk to me in that stupid baby-talk way that adults talk to small children, she had me sit down and join the grown folks. I liked her. I don't know if she was telepathically 'calling for help' and my young brain picked it up or what.

Another similar thing, long time later: I was about 19, and I was working a job at a YMCA where I was the front desk clerk. I was on the evening shift and two guys who came in there to play racquetball had called to see if the court was free, and asked me who was working there that night. I said, 'just me' and later realized this was probably why he called.

They stayed hanging around me and the desk til near closing time, and one of them started talking beyond inappropriately toward me, asked me what I think about the Hooters up the road. 'I don't think about the Hooters up the road' I said. I looked uncomfortable and then he said, 'Relax, it's not like I asked you if you've ever had sex'. At that point I stopped talking to them and told them we were closing in an hour. He took his racquet and mock hit me with it, pulling it back just as I flinched and laughing at my getting scared. Both completely crazy. They wouldn't leave even when I ignored them and tried to look busy. The other one went off down the hallway where the gym and ball courts were and started looking all around like he was trying to see if anyone was there, by then literally everyone had left. I had no cell phone back then and wanted to stay closer to the front door rather than run off and be followed further away from the front. The way the desk was situated there was nowhere to go that they weren't able to intercept. I was finally flat out scared of both of them but as soon as he started scaring me with his conversation and I thought I might be in trouble I thought, 'I wish to god someone would come in here, mom, dad, anyone' and not 10 minutes later my mother and father both come through the front door.

I'd never been so happy to see parents coming at me in my life and the two creeps were real quick to go all of a sudden. My mom told me they'd been on the way to go eat and she had all of a sudden a real bad feeling about me and told my dad to turn the car around and go see.

I dunno if they picked up my 'help me' signal or what.

Terrible things happen to good people and even children so I'm not so arrogant that I think it was god personally saving me cuz I'm so wonderful, but I don't know if it's a telepathic ability we have that we don't tap into very often or what.

I had a dream one time as well that I can't explain.

In the dream I see a very specific set of buildings that I'd not seen before and in the dream I feel like they are in a bad place that needs to be avoided.

The next day we go to see where they'd put my grandma, an assisted living facility. On the way there I see this set of buildings. I'd never been to the place in my life. I said, 'OMG, I dreamed this. This place is bad' and we take her out that very day.

There is a slight possibility I'd seen something somewhere related to the town and the name of the town conjured up the image in the dream---but I don't think I'd ever seen it before anywhere and I for sure had never been there. Just odd, can't explain.

Old March 5th, 2019 #9
Jimmy Marr

I once visited a forum and saw a post by its owner claiming that a person could easily cover 300 miles in under four hours even if he only drove at 55 mph. I clicked the "quote" button with relish in anticipation of taking his high verbal I.Q. ass on a trip to the quantitative wood shed, but instead of posting the quote to a new reply window the software advised me that "This forum is no longer accepting new posts".

I GTFO and logged back in to find everything as it had been prior to the owner's comment.

I can't, for the life of me figure out how this came about.

Old March 5th, 2019 #10
Jimmy Marr

Quote:
...it took me about 20 minutes to figure out the gas flap.. [and]... 4 hours to drive 12 miles... I had no symptoms of anything except I'd gone from full tummy to really hungry.

Any theories?

Mike
Thank you for this piece of cake, Mike.

It seems quite likely to me that a man who required twenty minutes to find his gas flap would need about four hours to drive 12 miles and would have a an extreme case of the munchies by the end of his trip.

Old March 5th, 2019 #11
SomeGuy

I removed a wild bird from my neighbor's house with my bare hands when I was 12. Not supernatural or anything but a bit wierd.

Old March 5th, 2019 #12
Alex Linder
Administrator

funny something i'd forgotten. this was many years ago...i found a dead, unusual bird with a bullet hole near its eye. it must have been a warning from some clown, an attempt to intimidate me. this was when i lived with my grandmother.

Old March 5th, 2019 #13
Jimmy Marr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
I removed a wild bird from my neighbor's house with my bare hands when I was 12. Not supernatural or anything but a bit wierd.

Old March 6th, 2019 #14
Enbyeff

Throughout the '90s I experienced countless very odd "coincidences": I'd think of something obscure, then later in the day I'd see it mentioned in the paper, or on the 'vitz. I never sensed that I was having premonitions before the "reveals", and the episodes were always useless, which seems indicative of mere coincidence; however, I haven't had such incidents for years, which is counter-indicative....

As I stated once before, I've experimented with EVP. And I've gotten direct answers to my questions on tape. I've heard singing, women's & children's voices and a grumpy male voice who told me to "fuck off"....

How could that be? I don't know - or much care.

As for "black panthers", my mother's grandparent's lived on Betsy Bell Hill in Staunton, VA. and they and their neighbors swore they saw one, and heard its howls & growls.

Old March 6th, 2019 #15
Longbaugh

It happened one night, about two months ago:

I was abducted by two alien beings who had cleverly disguised themselves as my friends, Jimbo and Steve.

They took me aboard their alien spacecraft, which was made up to look like Jimbo's '73 Dodge Dart, wherein I was transported to their secret, alien, testing laboratory, concealed in the stockroom of the A&P, where I was repeatedly, anally probed--alien language sounding much like human laughter.

Old March 9th, 2019 #16
SuDreich

I lived in a big, old house in Canada. My son's room was upstairs, mine on the main floor. One morning at 6am, my stereo turned on, very loudly. It woke me up and I jumped up to turn it off and ran upstairs to make sure my son was ok, I was startled. He was still asleep, breathing normally. If he had turned the stereo on, I would've heard 6 year old feet running up the stairs, plus he wouldn't do something like that. If he wanted to listen to music, he would. The button was pushed in on the receiver, I don't sleepwalk, was in bed when the music blasted and it was just us in the house.

Another time, we were on the city bus and I wondered to myself why there weren't any seatbelts if it was the law to have them in cars. A second later, he asked me why there were no seatbelts.

In the same old house, I was saying goodnight to my son and reached to turn the light off. The overhead light went out by itself right before i touched the switch. I said well! and laughed. He laughed. I said, just old wiring, it happens

Another night, I was wiping the kitchen island when my marble salt and pepper shakers flew off the back of the stove.

I'm sure there are scientific explanations for these happenings and it wasn't a case of poltergeists and mind reading lol

Old March 10th, 2019 #17
Emily Henderson
Intellijintly Dezined

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuDreich View Post
I lived in a big, old house in Canada. My son's room was upstairs, mine on the main floor. One morning at 6am, my stereo turned on, very loudly. It woke me up and I jumped up to turn it off and ran upstairs to make sure my son was ok, I was startled. He was still asleep, breathing normally. If he had turned the stereo on, I would've heard 6 year old feet running up the stairs, plus he wouldn't do something like that. If he wanted to listen to music, he would. The button was pushed in on the receiver, I don't sleepwalk, was in bed when the music blasted and it was just us in the house.

Another time, we were on the city bus and I wondered to myself why there weren't any seatbelts if it was the law to have them in cars. A second later, he asked me why there were no seatbelts.

In the same old house, I was saying goodnight to my son and reached to turn the light off. The overhead light went out by itself right before i touched the switch. I said well! and laughed. He laughed. I said, just old wiring, it happens

Another night, I was wiping the kitchen island when my marble salt and pepper shakers flew off the back of the stove.

I'm sure there are scientific explanations for these happenings and it wasn't a case of poltergeists and mind reading lol
The salt n pepper shakers tho, I can't figure that one out. It's either demons, ghosts, or the house wasn't level and they slid off (but u said they flew) or a lil earthquake maybe? I'm semi-disturbed now I hate them thar unknowns.

I've had the TV turn itself off or on, or switch channels, or volume goes up or down all the way to mute.... but then I see it's the doggo sitting on the remote.

Old March 10th, 2019 #18
Gladiatrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
I had an English (((teacher))) who believed in ghosts. And a boss's boss who saw UFO (I personally heard him tell me and a table of people this story). I had a roommate whose mother's boyfriend was a commercial pilot and had seen a UFO but would not admit it publicly for obvious reasons.

How about you?
LOL

Old March 10th, 2019 #19
Erik T. White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
the craziest things that ever happened to both sides of my family:

1) my maternal grandmother was bitten by rattlesnake on ear, goes into coma (6yo). (this is around SF, northern calif) doesn't come out. someone tells them about christian science. they pray, and she does comes out. that's illogic to me, but i wouldnt exist if she hadnt.

i think the rattlesnake was in a bush, how it got to ear level. really the story should have been written down formally. you will notice there is IRrationality involved, but nothing supernatural. in my opinion.

2) father's side. my paternal grandfather and dad and two uncles were in a car coming home somewhere in back county (adair misso., where i am now), a black panther ran across the road in front of them. absolutely no mistaking what it was. four non-drunk Linders saw it. my grandfather was so disturbed by the sighting he wouldnt ever talk about it, it was so out of place. they never saw any reports about any cats missing from circuses or zoos. this was probably the 1950s. there ARE panthers roaming more places than you'd think, ive had multiple people tell me they've seen them or their tracks. and there are verified reports of them at different times in Missouri Conservationist.
Rattlesnakes, sometimes even large ones, have depleted their venom on other prey prior to striking and biting humans or other beings that seem to threaten them. It is possible to survive a small envenomation of this species, the genera being Crotalus.

Quote:
When a bite occurs, the amount of venom injected is under voluntary control by the snake. The amount released depends on a variety of factors, including the condition of the snake (e.g., having long, healthy fangs and a full venom sack) and its temperament (an angry, hungry snake that has just been stepped on vs. a satiated snake that was merely surprised by walking near it).[72] About 20% of bites result in no envenomation at all. A lack of burning pain and edema 3⁄8 in (1 cm) away from the fang marks after one hour suggests either no or minimal envenomation occurred. A lack of edema or erythema in the area of the bite after eight hours indicates a lack of envenomation for most rattlesnake bites.[73]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rattle...ites_on_humans

Personally, I think it was a very, very miniscule envenomation and your grandmother had a good set of genetics which kept her from the worst after effects of a small envenomation.

I think your panther was possibly an escaped animal from an owner or zoo that went out of business and just turned the animal loose.

Silver Springs, Florida, is the oldest commercial tourist site in the state of Florida. There are non-native monkeys populating the area:

Quote:
In the 1930s Colonel Tooey, a concessionaire who operated the "Jungle Cruise" boat ride, established the first troop of wild rhesus monkeys on an island in the Silver River. He planned to use the attraction of the colony as one of the sights on his Jungle Cruise, but did not know that the rhesus monkeys were excellent swimmers. They quickly escaped the island, forming their own feral troops along the river. Rhesus monkeys are still seen along the river.[6]
The Seven Swans was filmed at Silver Springs in 1916, but it was not until 1932 that the location become popular as a filming hot-spot. It was the location for filming of Tarzan the Ape Man, featuring Johnny Weissmuller. During the 1930s and early 1940s, five more of these original Tarzan movies were filmed at Silver Springs. In 1954 Creature from the Black Lagoon was filmed there.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver...gs_(attraction)

I've been to Silver Springs many, many times and have seen the monkeys. They are pointed out by the tour guides.

Last edited by Erik T. White; March 10th, 2019 at 01:56 AM.

Old March 10th, 2019 #20
Erik T. White

Talking

Mark Twain had a neat book about "Christian Science:"

Quote:
This last summer, when I was on my way back to Vienna from the Appetite-Cure in the mountains, I fell over a cliff in the twilight, and broke some arms and legs and one thing or another, and by good luck was found by some peasants who had lost an ass, and they carried me to the nearest habitation, which was one of those large, low, thatch-roofed farm-houses, with apartments in the garret for the family, and a cunning little porch under the deep gable decorated with boxes of bright colored flowers and cats; on the ground floor a large and light sitting-room, separated from the milch-cattle apartment by a partition; and in the front yard rose stately and fine the wealth and pride of the house, the manure-pile. That sentence is Germanic, and shows that I am acquiring that sort of mastery of the art and spirit of the language which enables a man to travel all day in one sentence without changing cars.
There was a village a mile away, and a horse doctor lived there, but there was no surgeon. It seemed a bad outlook; mine was distinctly a surgery case. Then it was remembered that a lady from Boston was summering in that village, and she was a Christian Science doctor and could cure anything. So she was sent for. It was night by this time, and she could not conveniently come, but sent word that it was no matter, there was no hurry, she would give me “absent treatment” now, and come in the morning; meantime she begged me to make myself tranquil and comfortable and remember that there was nothing the matter with me. I thought there must be some mistake.
“Did you tell her I walked off a cliff seventy-five feet high?”
“Yes.”
“And struck a boulder at the bottom and bounced?”
“Yes.”
“And struck another one and bounced again?”
“Yes.”
“And struck another one and bounced yet again?”
“Yes.”
“And broke the boulders?”
“Yes.”
“That accounts for it; she is thinking of the boulders. Why didn't you tell her I got hurt, too?”
“I did. I told her what you told me to tell her: that you were now but an incoherent series of compound fractures extending from your scalp-lock to your heels, and that the comminuted projections caused you to look like a hat-rack.”
“And it was after this that she wished me to remember that there was nothing the matter with me?”
“Those were her words.”
“I do not understand it. I believe she has not diagnosed the case with sufficient care. Did she look like a person who was theorizing, or did she look like one who has fallen off precipices herself and brings to the aid of abstract science the confirmations of personal experience?”
“Bitte?”
It was too large a contract for the Stubenmadchen's vocabulary; she couldn't call the hand. I allowed the subject to rest there, and asked for something to eat and smoke, and something hot to drink, and a basket to pile my legs in; but I could not have any of these things.
“Why?”
“She said you would need nothing at all.”
“But I am hungry and thirsty, and in desperate pain.”
“She said you would have these delusions, but must pay no attention to them. She wants you to particularly remember that there are no such things as hunger and thirst and pain.''
“She does does she?”
“It is what she said.”
“Does she seem to be in full and functionable possession of her intellectual plant, such as it is?”
“Bitte?”
“Do they let her run at large, or do they tie her up?”
“Tie her up?”
“There, good-night, run along, you are a good girl, but your mental Geschirr is not arranged for light and airy conversation. Leave me to my delusions.”

[…]

Under the powerful influence of the near treatment and the absent treatment together, my bones were gradually retreating inward and disappearing from view. The good work took a brisk start, now, and went on swiftly. My body was diligently straining and stretching, this way and that, to accommodate the processes of restoration, and every minute or two I heard a dull click inside and knew that the two ends of a fracture had been successfully joined. This muffled clicking and gritting and grinding and rasping continued during the next three hours, and then stopped—the connections had all been made. All except dislocations; there were only seven of these: hips, shoulders, knees, neck; so that was soon over; one after another they slipped into their sockets with a sound like pulling a distant cork, and I jumped up as good as new, as to framework, and sent for the horse-doctor.
I was obliged to do this because I had a stomach-ache and a cold in the head, and I was not willing to trust these things any longer in the hands of a woman whom I did not know, and whose ability to successfully treat mere disease I had lost all confidence. My position was justified by the fact that the cold and the ache had been in her charge from the first, along with the fractures, but had experienced not a shade of relief; and, indeed, the ache was even growing worse and worse, and more and more bitter, now, probably on account of the protracted abstention from food and drink.
The horse-doctor came, a pleasant man and full of hope and professional interest in the case. In the matter of smell he was pretty aromatic—in fact, quite horsy—and I tried to arrange with him for absent treatment, but it was not in his line, so, out of delicacy, I did not press it. He looked at my teeth and examined my hock, and said my age and general condition were favorable to energetic measures; therefore he would give me something to turn the stomach-ache into the botts and the cold in the head into the blind staggers; then he should be on his own beat and would know what to do. He made up a bucket of bran-mash, and said a dipperful of it every two hours, alternated with a drench with turpentine and axle-grease in it, would either knock my ailments out of me in twenty-four hours, or so interest me in other ways as to make me forget they were on the premises. He administered my first dose himself, then took his leave, saying I was free to eat and drink anything I pleased and in any quantity I liked. But I was not hungry any more, and did not care for food.

[…]

The Christian Scientist was not able to cure my stomach-ache and my cold; but the horse-doctor did it. This convinces me that Christian Science claims too much. In my opinion it ought to let diseases alone and confine itself to surgery. There it would have everything its own way.
The horse-doctor charged me thirty kreutzers, and I paid him; in fact, I doubled it and gave him a shilling. Mrs. Fuller brought in an itemized bill for a crate of broken bones mended in two hundred and thirty-four places—one dollar per fracture.
“Nothing exists but Mind?”
“Nothing,” she answered. “All else is substanceless, all else is imaginary.”
I gave her an imaginary check, and now she is suing me for substantial dollars. It looks inconsistent.
The entire text is available at this link:

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/3187/3187-h/3187-h.htm

It is hilarious!!!!!!

But, if "Christian Science" and Mary Baker Eddy's crowd isn't one's liking, for a gift of any amount to Johnnie the Ha-gee, you can get a Pissreal key chain, imported directly from jewrusaslum.

Thread