NewsFeed
News Bot

Post 4 Monolithic Myths About Bug Out Bags

4 Monolithic Myths About Bug Out Bags

Todd Walker

Survival Sherpa

December 27th, 2013

Image courtesy of Mountain Goat Diaries

What nasty turn of events would warrant you grabbing your Bug Out Bag and heading for the hills… on foot if necessary? Or better yet, your well stocked retreat?

Be careful how you answer this loaded question.

There’s a long list of bug out worthy disaster scenarios according to some survival experts. Some of are real experts, some well-intentioned, others are attention whores. Read the fine print and think logically.

Most on-the-run survival advice is romance rolled into a 70 lb. “tactical” sack on your back.

I’m convinced that many preppers embrace the huge BOB thesis because of its romantic appeal. What experts in the preparedness community say doesn’t always harmonize with actual experience.

Here’s 4 reasons why…

1.) Too Much Stuff

The vast majority of hopeful bug-outers are nowhere near physically capable of carrying 3 days worth of water (8.34 lb./gal. x 3 = 25.02 lb.) for a 72 hour excursion – plus other gear. But you’ve got the water issue covered with a handy water filter and a metal container and collapsible bladders, right? Just lightened you pack considerable.

What about the other stuff? You’ve got to have ammo, guns, food, gear, clothing, first aid, shelter, and 12 unique ways to build a fire. Then there are those heavy ‘comfort’ items.

You’ll need an ATV just to get the 75 pound bag out of the yard.

Since DRG and I have BOB’s at the ready, does this make me a hypocrite for writing this?

No.

BOB’s have their place in our overall plan. The same goes for my Get Home Bag – a totally different creature. Both are akin to having AFLAC as supplemental insurance.

You may have seen pictures of me and Dirt Road Girl training with our backpacks. They make great workout equipment. Physical training and testing and Doing the Stuff to gauge what weight we could realistically carry if we were ever forced to use feet instead of wheels.

But mostly (I mean the 99% kind of mostly), our intended purpose was to add resistance in our functional fitness program – not train to hump 100 miles to our retreat. Actually, 96 miles on nicely paved roads.

2.) Untested Stuff

Our bags are packed with gear and supplies we have tested. Weighted so we can carry them. Being un-tacti-cool, they look like something you’d see on an AT section hiker’s back. BOB’s are truly a last resort item in our prep plan.

By the way, we don’t have doggie bug out bags for ‘Moose’ and ‘Abby’, our two spoiled rescue mutts. I know. I’ll hear from some of you about our lack of pet prep. But our dogs fit so nicely in the back of our bug out vehicles (BOV). Nothing special about our BOV’s. They’re just daily drivers.

3.) Child Stuff

On top of that, we don’t have small children tagging along behind us as we machete a path through briars and brambles. Small children alone are reason enough to abandon the thought of trekking through the woods to safety. It would not be safe. Or smart.

Here’s the thing.

We don’t plan on using our BOB’s for anything other than dire emergencies – like a nearby chemical spill or our neighborhood is on fire.

If we are forced by Mother Nature or man-made nastiness to leave our stocked home, we have optional safe destinations (pre-arranged) with written plans for our family on getting there. We’ll throw our BOB’s in the vehicle just in case the black top turns into a very long parking lot and forces us to abandon our wheeled transportation.

4.) They’re Potential Refugee Bags

Options are great to have. But bugging out to nowhere in particular makes you a refugee. This whole live-off-the-land theory is just that – theory. Heading to the hills to survive fosters the romance of living off the land like mountain men. Once there, you won’t be alone. Other scared Refugee BOB-ers read that same book or blog and will be joining you. Hungry. Thirsty. Desperate. Armed. And desperate. I repeat myself.

A Better Option

If things deteriorate to a point of eminent death if you stay put, by all means, get out of dodge! Be smart. Plan now to have a pre-determined, well-stocked, alternative location(s).

Don’t have the money to purchase a secluded off-grid homestead or retreat? Neither do we. Talk to relatives and friends who are willing to work out a plan to provide a safe retreat. Make the plan reciprocal, of course. [Sherpa Tip: Plan to bring more to the table than you take.] Having backup plans to your backup plans is anti-fragile prepping .

Hunkering down at your own home to weather a crisis would be better than strapping on a refugee bug out bag and heading to parts unknown. If you’ve prepped even minimally, think of what you’d be leaving behind by heading to your ‘secret’ wilderness survival spot. Especially if you have to stretch 72 hours of resources to last a week – or God forbid, forever.

Shelter – no power to your house is better than an extended stay in a debris hut… or a FEMA cot.

Food you normally eat – not 11-year-old MRE’s. There are only x amount of deer and squirrel and such scampering through the woods to feed yourself and your fellow evacuees.

Guns, gear, and medical supplies – rent a semi-trailer bug out vehicle maybe.

Normal routine and familiar people – these vanish on a wilderness bug out – just before the edible plants and animals.

Neighbors to help with security. You know your neighbors , right?

Know Your Stuff

Bug out bags that are carry-able by the average person should not be packed for comfort. Pack your kit for use. Use the stuff you pack. Never buy shiny objects to stow in your kit without testing and using them regularly.

When your survival is on the line, unfamiliarity with your gear may cost you more than lost time.

Keep Stuff Normal

Keeping your life and surroundings as normal as possible in a crisis decreases stressors, which will be abundantly present during any emergency. Why invite another monkey to ride on your overloaded bug out bag.

We all need our version of

----- snip -----

read full article at source: http://www.thedailysheeple.com/4-mon...ut-bags_122013

Old December 27th, 2013 #2
Nate Richards

Most bug-out bag lists I've seen were pretty reasonable, its' rarely more than 15-20 lbs of stuff. It's up to you. How strong are you? How far will you need to walk? What do you really need? The first kit you put together should be pretty small, light, simple.

I've never even heard of anyone including 3 days' water, that's dumb. A filter, sure.

Nobody ever mentions the most important purpose of putting that first bag together: It's your beginning. It's your first lesson.

Just get one of those classic jansport "big student" backpacks. They're tough as nails and pretty water-resistant. They're comfortable, and they look normal.

I mention a brand name because you'll lose on a dirt-cheap one. The jansport's zippers won't get f'd up the first time you overstuff the bag or drop it.

You can usually find them under 20 bucks if you really hunt, and time of year might be a factor. I bought 4 for 60 bucks a couple years ago but these things are great kits.

Old December 27th, 2013 #3
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

I just use my issue Large Ruck Sack - and add components to the frame in a modular way depending upon the time of year.

Of course, it is wishful thinking, and only an exercise in personal survival and physical fitness. I have a family of 7, with 3 small children (single digits). "Bugging out" with them on foot is a pure fantasy that I don't even entertain as being remotely plausible.

Old December 29th, 2013 #4
keifer

Old December 29th, 2013 #5
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by keifer View Post
This is what I have concluded for myself regarding packs, pack weight, what to carry, or as it is referred to as weight vs rate.

My system is based on 60 pound pack. I can carry more, many people can, but realistically for how long under what conditions and landscape, seasonal, and all those variables. My system is simple and adaptive to your own requirements.

I challenge you to do this, but not in a competitive sense, and not as a means for me to judge, but to put things in perspective for yourself and family.

You get 60 pounds total, divided simply into three increments.

1) First twenty pounds is guns and ammo. Any gun(s) and ammo. You might choose three types of firearms and three types

2) Gear, this includes everything you need to manipulate the environment for your survival. Knives, axes, water purification, first aid cordage, fire making, shelter, what ever you require but you only get twenty pounds. Thats all.

3) Situational. The third increment of weight in regards to rate is clutch type circumstances that have to do with the situation at hand. Are you at work?, Home, on the road, shopping, dining; where ever you are when the shit goes down, what can you pick up from that environment and take with you to enhance survival. Keep in mind too, this twenty pounds is situational and you're carrying capacity might be used up by carrying things your wife or children cannot.

What this 60 pounds has not accounted for is water, food and winter clothing.
What this exercise clarifies is that the more you know, the less you have to carry. Firearms is another topic, situation is speculative and relitive to your own day to day life, but can you get your gear weight vs rate down to twenty pounds."
Not sure what happened to your post.

Old December 29th, 2013 #6
keifer

Thanks for posting.

Tags
Yard, Pound sterling, Todd Walker, Weight, Children's literature

Thread