VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old November 26th, 2013 #1
Alex Linder
Administrator

Default #1 Pomona College Thread

[This is my own personal thread for tracking my college. You can post in it, but don't clutter it. Just going to post occasional stories I come across, make whatever worthwhile points come to mind.]

"They only are loyal to this institution who in departing bear their added riches in trust for mankind." --graven in wall at Pomona College. (Some history here.)

The riches Pomona added to my intellectual bankbook was an understanding of the types and mindset trying to create a brave new multicultural world order, in which loyalty to race and nation disappear (except among jews), replaced by loyalty to humankind. And presumably if aliens make themselves known to us, in all their furry (or gooey) betentacled splendor, yoomankind will be replaced by biokin, or some other encompass-ism, and racism will yield its ultimate-horror title to planetism or milkism* or Waycism or somelike.

* Favoring creatures from the Milky Way over those from other galaxies. Per usual use-age, "It is milkist not to want your daughter dating a cryoceraflops from z8_GND_5296," said Bunsen Bernsen to the normal person.

Last edited by Alex Linder; December 5th, 2013 at 04:03 PM.

Old November 26th, 2013 #2
Alex Linder
Administrator

Pomona Laments Passing of Haruspex Hagedorn

By Alex Linder [index]

I will write the following in my favorite tongue, near English. If ebonics be legit, then mebonics be legitter. I declare I will practice sociology without a license. Unsafe sociology is the best kind, it nearly goes without saying. I will divine from signs, like a haruspex, but working dry. This is a Pomona professoress, recently deceased. Her name is Hagedorn, pretty sure that's German, not jewish, from New Jersey, into Santeria, of all things. This is the odd sort of creature liberalism abounds with. German-descended liberals mesh very nicely with English-descended libs. Germans have always been known for traveling around, sniffing things, and a certain strain of this impulse routinely throws up creatures like La Hagedorn.

http://discussions.latimes.com/20/la...rn-20131119/10

Katherine Hagedorn dies at 52; Pomona professor was Santeria priestess

Katherine Hagedorn, a longtime music professor at Pomona College in Claremont, became a Santeria priestess after years of studying sacred bata drums.

Look at the look on the dark girl's face - that's your classic 'minority' (that aint) responding to your overly intelligent, caring, helpful white liberal. If you were a mud, you wouldn't like white people either - although you'd damn sure like their bodies and what they put together for themselves, as Sam Kinison put it.

By David Colker

November 18, 2013, 10:39 a.m.

Katherine Hagedorn was not your stereotypical priestess in the Cuba-based Santeria religion, known for its complex, ecstatic drumming that adherents believe can call forth deities.

She grew up in New Jersey, was white, had a doctorate in music and was a longtime popular professor at Pomona College.

But as a graduate student on a cold, rainy day at Brown University in 1988, she spotted a poster for an upcoming performance by an Afro-Cuban ensemble of drummers and dancers. The performance changed her life.

Quote:
"From the moment the drummers struck their instruments, I was stunned," Hagedorn wrote in her 2001 book, "Divine Utterances: The Performance of Afro-Cuban Santeria." "Each delicate stroke seemed to hit my solar plexus, and I was immediately embarrassed lest anyone guess how intimately I was experiencing the sound. I could not breathe normally."
Hagedorn traveled to Cuba, studied with masters of sacred bata drums, and after a decade of practice and study, became initiated into Santeria as a priestess. It was a journey from academic objectivity to total involvement in a world that once seemed entirely foreign to her.

"My wide-angle lens of folkloric performance," she wrote, "had suddenly zoomed in to the close-up focus of personally experienced religious performance."

Hagedorn died Nov. 12 at home in Claremont after a long struggle with cancer, said Pomona College. She was 52, and had been part of the school's music faculty since 1993.

Drumming was just one of several topics she taught at the school. She also oversaw the Balinese Gamelan ensemble and taught courses in gender in music, performance traditions of the African diaspora and protest music. Her classes were emphatically participatory, not to mention loud.

"If we are learning about West African music, if we're reading about it, listening to it, we're playing it too," she said in a 2001 Pomona College Magazine article. "Same with Tuvan throat singing and Balinese Gamelan. I try to get the students to do it."

In 2000, Hagedorn was named California Professor of the Year by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching and the Council for Advancement and Support of Education.

She's red-stamped "good" by the System. Nothing more Systemic than Carnegie Foundation.

Katherine Johanna Hagedorn was born Oct. 16, 1961, in Summit, N.J. Her undergraduate degree was from Tufts University, with a triple major in Spanish, Russian and English studies, plus a minor in classical piano. She earned a master's degree in international relations from John Hopkins University and a master's and doctorate from Brown in ethnomusicology.

Now that's very interesting. Many do not know that New Jersey has plenty of rural area, and plenty of people of German descent, as well as the Italians and jews everyone knows about. Now, the fact that Hagedorn went to Tufts is very interesting, as this is a jewish college. Not all Tufts students are jews. It makes my theory Hagedorn is German rather than jewish less likely, but I still would guess it's the case. The way she wears her hair, in the photo, and her dress, suggest it. The way she gathers her hands suggests Germanic plainscrub piety, rather than jewish accusatory meddling-hectoring. It is clear this unadorned Hagedorn's a rather plain but intelligent white applemeat woman. And it is a guess. Altho her concerns touch on the leftist litany, the feminism etc doesn't appear to be the driving force. She probably belongs to the group that assimilates the going ideals and agenda without any internal objections. Her interest in Santeria and its oinks was no doubt genuine; more that Hagedorn's peculiar interests fit The Agenda, were useful to the System, than that she was an aggressive driver.

In 1989, she made the first of many trips to Cuba to study bata drums, which are played in sets of three. "The only way you can learn to play those things is to be taught by someone who is an expert, who is consecrated," said Raul Fernandez, professor of Latin American studies at UC Irvine. "They knew she was honest and truly interested, not there on some capricious whim."

I remember being in some hall at Pomona, and hearing some earnest liberal say something on the order of, "every time I hear drums, I feel like I'm stealing black culture." I did not grow up among this type; statements like this were the first time I knew it existed. That is, I knew liberals existed from reading the newspaper, but to catch the real flavor of this type and its mindset, have to hear it first-ear.

She completed her first step of initiation into Santeria about a year after her studies of the bata drum began, but then took each subsequent step only after "much trepidation" and self-examination, "shying away from what appeared to be my religious calling," she wrote in her book.

This is why we call liberals onionskins. All this sensitivity. These tears. These trembling vacillations. Yet they turn into great hostile white sharks if you cross them. Crossing them could mean harshly, as in mocking with laughter, or merely softly, with plain honest rational questions. You'll receive dark return. You'll learn, as all before you, that liberals have endless boundless love of their inferiors -- roughly, all muds and white deviants -- and boundless hatred of all their equals - whites and other intelligent folk who don't think the way they do. Invisible plantations and invisible apartheid are their preferred forms. Where a white man, a right man, builds a real-world segregation system based on rational reasons; a liberal creates an invisible empire based on irrational hatreds.

Back to the story - what on earth would Haggy be trepidatin' about? What's not to love about Santeria? It sounds colorful and delicious, like a scooped-out watermelon filled with delicious and colorful mixed fruits. Or like a gutter gushing with delicious red Kool-Aid recently liberated from the throat of an uninnocent yardfowl. Ah, but that's why I can't be a liberal. That's why I failed to cult up like a real softspoken man of the world. My plebeian need to guffaw (a guffaw is a fart to these people), my boorish insistence on the actually-real were too great. How could Katy's delicate emotional conscience handle the rude combo of spicy drums and exsanguinated roosters? Well, we don't know that, we can't enter a plain woman's heart. We can only know the outcome. I divine from the ether that the soft, noble soul of La Hagedorn was in her delicate, sensitiver-than-sensitive way essaying a new branch of Santeria; poking out a new vein of the Old Thing like a watercolorist with his thin swirled brush eking out a new brown tree branch. A new vein that would sacrifice date palms, or ground nuts, or some other native African vegetable, rather than meaty breathers. It's not easy being a liberal. No one ever said that. But with enough patience, sensitivity, imagination, sighs, grants, fellowships, and Gone-Fishing signs over the eyelids, one can overcome the obstacles and unite the opposites. Some thought crimes law doesn't hurt either. Makes it all cohere, you know. Like corn starch in your cooking pot.

When she finally became a priestess, she wore a special outfit for the occasion. It had tiny figures believed to represent vegetarian Santeria priests sacrificing avocados and pineapples on ex-sanguinary altars. Goats that formerly would have been the star of the show now allowed to lick the spilled juices after the service. Friends say she had her gorgeous raiment hand-sewn by an Equitorial Guinean sewing circle microbusiness she encountered on a research trip to Central Africa.

"It's the dress she will be wearing when she is buried," said her friend Margaret Waller, a professor of French at Pomona.

Hagedorn is survived by her husband, Terry Ryan, a professor at Claremont Graduate University's Center for Information Systems & Technology; a son, Gabriel; her parents, Fred and Grace Hagedorn; and her sister Martha Hagedorn-Krass.

Further evidence Hagedorn was probably German rather than jewess.

[email protected]

She does not whiff jewish, going by her particulars. Now, the interesting thing here is how this apparently mild woman would have felt about the thing most associated with Santeria - the thing it's known for: animal sacrifices. One wonders if anyone anywhere ever pressed her on this, how she felt about it. I highly doubt it. Many things evil when white men do them are noble or at least not-to-be-mentioned when darkies do 'em. Sniffing these fine differences is what makes the liberal a connoisseur.

http://www.latimes.com/obituaries/la...#ixzz2ln5ELhmL

Last edited by Alex Linder; January 25th, 2014 at 11:13 PM.

Old November 26th, 2013 #3
Alex Linder
Administrator

Left a nice comment on the Pomona page about her death:

Alex_Linder • a few seconds ago

Funny...from her photo, she really doesn't vibe the type that enjoys a nice rooster sacrifice. Eh, looks can fool you.

Edit

Sha

http://pomona.edu/news/2013/11/13-ka...-hagedorn.aspx

If there's anything more fun, including sexual orgasm, than rasping WASP high-mindedness, I hope I never experience it, because I have a feeling it would be too powerful to bear and I'd blow apart.

Last edited by Alex Linder; November 26th, 2013 at 10:50 PM.

Old November 26th, 2013 #4
Alex Linder
Administrator

Again, I read no jew in that face, big-nosed German, like me and millions. No noticeable deception in the eyes, or teeming paranoid hostility. Coloring is very common among Germanicals.

Old November 26th, 2013 #5
Alex Linder
Administrator

[real CS (christian science) feel) to some of these 'membrances and testimonials. This is what I find really distasteful about WASP mentation and culture, they just can't be content on the plane of reality, everything has to be conducted in hushed whispers like we're in a perpetual funeral home, where everything is fake and very very what-is-called tasteful. This is genuninely white culture, and it is genuinely awful stuff.]

Diana Linden • 3 days ago

I always looked forward to seeing Katherine when we'd both drop off our children at Chaparral Elementary School. She just oozed love for Gabriel and always had a warm, luminous smile on her face as she gazed at him. Such a wonderful spirit. What a tremendous loss. Gabriel is in my thoughts --

Share ›

Paul Faraguna • 6 days ago

I first met Kathy (as I knew her) in the 7th grade. We didn't really get along. You know how 13 yr old's can be. We continued on into high school and then junior year I ended up in an A.P. U.S. History course with her. Somehow I guess we had grown up a bit by then and a wonderful friendship developed. We were friends through the rest of H.S. and on into college undergraduate studies, she at Tufts and me at Villanova. We kept close in touch and would get together when we were home visiting our families. We would get together for dinner and a movie. All the things I see in the comments below about the wonderful person she was were just as true back then. We lost touch for some years after I went off to work and she went off to grad school. But she was always in my thoughts. When I thought of the best memories of those wonderful innocent years, she was there, prominently a part of them. We reconnected again in the late '90's when I was doing an internet search on some music information and low an behold, her name popped up in the search. I contacted her and we caught up with each other. A few years later when my father passed away she reached out and helped me when I needed it most. I last saw her in '99. Right after 9-11 happened she reached out again to make sure I was alright as I worked nearby. She helped me discuss the things I had seen. Sadly we lost touch again about 9 years ago. I will forever regret that. I should've done a better job keeping in touch. I can't believe she's gone. I was unaware that she had been ill. I'm so sorry for her family and children. I wish I had some magic words but I don't. All who knew her were lucky to have done so. Looking at her list of accomplishments she clearly lived a well spent life albeit an unjustly short one. For all who mourn her passing I wish us all the swift passage of this pain. May we all take comfort in the wonderful memories she left us with. Clearly she touched so many at Pomona. She was truly special. God's speed Kathy. Rest easy. Paul

Share ›

Michelle Kisliuk • 7 days ago

I cannot fathom that my sisterfriend Katherine is gone. So many kindnesses I will never repay, such a sudden and dreadful loss which I was blindly unprepared for. Future times, in this beautiful life, we would have experienced together over the coming years, growing older, will never happen. Ideas and projects that we would have helped each other create have gone silent. I will miss her warmth, humor, and brilliance. Future laughter and wit in duet now deflected or echoing alone. The only way forward is to tend to the special lights that she emitted, and kindled in others. We love you Katherine. Thank you Pomona College for being her professional home for so many years.

Share ›

Gregory Melchor-Barz • 7 days ago

Never sure where the line between "friend" and "colleague" was with Katherine. From our time as graduate students at Brown University, Katherine always served as an ally (in many ways). She was there to push me forward with my work (even at times when she herself needed that push). She was there to listen to my problems (even when she herself needed to be listened to). And, she was there to celebrate with me (never expecting others to celebrate HER!). OK, she was a bit of a goofball, but in a superbly amusing way. Her wit was sharp. Her intellect was razor sharp as well. She was "top drawer" in so many ways, and I for one will sorely miss her.
1 △

Share ›

Ondrej Hochla 2010 • 8 days ago

What a loss. As a professor, she was outstanding and could facilitate class discussion better than anyone I have ever had teach me. The classes I had with her showed me a side of music that I had never seen before. Outside of class she was eternally kind and accepting. It was always a joy to see her because she was delighted to see you. She had the gift of completely validating and accepting a person for what they are while at the same time encouraging them to be better. We will miss her.

Share ›

Nina Karnovsky • 8 days ago

Katherine deeply influenced my teaching. At a workshop for new faculty
at Pomona College ten years ago, Katherine had all of us sitting in a circle
playing different African drums, some loud and others quiet. We each had a rhythm
to play. Initially our drumming was a frantic mess. She showed us in a dramatic
fashion how important it is to leave the pauses between phrases empty, so that
the other drum voices could be heard. Whenever there is a pause in one of my
class discussions, I remember Katherine and resist the urge to fill the quiet
with my own voice. So often the voices of students that are not often heard come
forth at those moments. I am so thankful to Katherine for helping me to make
space for those voices.
1 △

Share ›

Anna Beresin • 10 days ago

Words cannot describe our collective loss. Katherine was my freshman and sophomore roommate at Tufts, a total stranger who became one of my favorite people on this earth. My heart goes out to her whole family. Rest in peace my friend.
1 △

Share ›

Fred B Block • 11 days ago

By chance I read many of the posts after I noticed that Katerine Hagedorn has passed. I am pleased to learn of her life as it was so wonderfully lived and shared broadly by this passionate generous human being. It appears that she choose music as the best suited way to leave her students, colleagues, family and friends a tangible, vibrant, meaningful, and everlasting way to leave her powerful message . I have read percussionist, Mickey Hart's "Drumming on the Edge of Magic", an eye opening for me to the powerful world of the shamans who were able to venture in the world of the spirits long long ago. I am so impressed with all of you have posted, I send to her family and friends my condolences, and to you her students as well. She is certainly rejoicing wherever she is having lived a magnificent life. Cheers. Fred B. Block, Dauin, Negros Oriental, Central Visayans, Philippines

Share ›

Carter • 11 days ago

I still can't wrap my mind around this. Katherine was a professor of mine twice - once my freshman year and once in my senior year, and I had the immense honor of having her as one of my thesis advisors. She continues to be the professor who has had the greatest impact on my academic experience of music. She opened my mind up to many different ways of reading music from all across the world, and I only know that my appreciation for music - on both an intellectual and emotional level - would be much less today without her presence in my life. I cannot thank her enough.

Carter Delloro '07

Share ›

Robin Bingham '98 • 11 days ago

This is an unbelievable loss. Always, across the curtain of distance, I planned to say hello soon-- because she was to her students as much a friend as she was our professor. She was one of those people who made an instant connection, a kindred spirit. I remember every class period of Music 11, and think of her and the topics of that class often. I want to write more, but I'm at a loss for words.

Share ›

Claire Bergen '01 • 12 days ago

Katherine taught me the value of my own musical story, that there was a connection between learning and meaning. She encouraged me to stay close to my roots and to let my work find me - she seemed to key into what each student cared about, even if we didn't know it ourselves. She did this all with lightness, with grace and humor. Her encouragement continues to inspire me. I am thinking of her family and the Pomona community today.
2 △

Share ›

Martha Preston, Pomona '10 • 12 days ago

Such a breathtaking, incredible loss to the college, the music community, and this world. Professor Hagedorn was a beautiful mind and a wonderful teacher. Chance encounters with her on the Pomona College grounds, even years after our class together ended, were like running into a favorite family member. She put people at ease, made those around her laugh, and helped me see music in a way that I'd never imagined it. She will be dearly missed.

Share ›

Tim Cooley • 12 days ago

Katherine was unusually comfortable in her own person, self-aware, and quietly confident. This gave her a solid platform from which to listen to, care for, teach, and love those around her. This was immediately evident when I first met her in 1991 at Brown University, where we were both graduate students in ethnomusicology. She was a few years ahead of me in the program and became a sort of colleague-mentor to me. This arrangement continued when I too moved to southern California to take an academic post up the street at the University of California, Santa Barbara. Katherine could be trusted with anything from personal matters to academics. I know many reading this also benefited from her generosity, kindness, intelligence, wit, and wisdom. Coming to terms with her loss—if this is even possible—will take us all a long time.

Share ›

Nick Snow '01 • 12 days ago

She was a truly memorable professor with her knowledge and enthusiasm for music and ability to connect so strongly with students. She opened my ears to a world of music. What she taught us about non-western music sticks with me to this day. Even though it has been over a decade since graduating, each time I returned to Pomona to attend a music performance, she would instantly remember me and connect on a personal level. She was always looking to bring different perspectives to the music department. She had such a joyful spirit. While we can all celebrate the wonderful inspiration she instilled in many students, certainly a sad loss for her to have left so soon.

Share ›

Cindy Peters • 12 days ago

Katherine was so amazing, so full of happiness and kindness. Her radiant smile brightened many mornings as we walked to school with her family. Spending time with her always inspired me to focus on the wonderful moments happening now and not the challenges. I feel so lucky to have known her. Rest in peace my friend.

Share ›

Sandra Ofori '13 • 13 days ago

Katherine was such an amazing and dedicated teacher and friend. I met her in my freshman year when I took Music and Dance of Bali. Every time she saw me on campus, she would say "You need to take Music of Bali again." I promised her I would in my senior year and I did. The only difference was she was not around to see me fulfill my promise. You blessed Pomona with your presence everyday and we will all forever be grateful for that. Rest in perfect peace, Katherine. God bless and provide your family with strength through this difficult time.

Share ›

Mark So, '00 • 13 days ago

I loved her so much! Such an odd and gentle trust, such a strong inspiration -- she made me (and so many others) feel truly loved, like you could really go inside and dig and stir up something necessary, and it could be arcane or unfamiliar, something to study, but also something right there for you, the gift of music, the heart beating darkly. The topic was one thing, but what counted was the personal connection, the sense that thinking through music should be equal in complexity, vitality, and mystery to its subject, and lead back in the end to the start, to music, perhaps even in breathtakingly unexpected ways. Katherine gave me music again.
1 △

Share ›

Martha Hagedorn-Krass > Mark So, '00 • 12 days ago

Thank you, Mark you give insight and comfort in your words of remembrance.

Share ›

Kenny Endo • 13 days ago

Working with Katherine was always a such positive experience and I appreciate all she did for music and musicians. She left us too early but let's honor her life by living fully as she did and celebrate her accomplishments.

Share ›

Jacqueline Wong-Hernandez • 13 days ago

Professor Hagedorn was so full of joy and life. She was on the Watson Fellowship selection committee -- it was the first time I had interacted with her. She was a beautiful person. What a terrible loss.

Share ›

Marc Lowenstein • 13 days ago

I worked with her for two years at Pomona. She was a lovely and good person. May her memory be a blessing.

Share ›

Amy Lieberman, Scripps '09 • 13 days ago

I had the privilege to work with Katherine as her research assistant from 2007-2009. She was an exemplary person, teacher, mentor, and friend, and I feel so lucky to have had the opportunity to learn from her. Love and condolences to her family and to her larger Pomona family.

Share ›

Carey Tan, CMC '07 • 13 days ago

Years ago, Professor Hagedorn saw some potential in 18-year-old me that I didn't know I had. With characteristic enthusiasm and kindness, she gently encouraged me to face up to new and daunting challenges, all the while assuring me that I was capable of overcoming them. Words can't express how much her vote of confidence meant to me. She was a wonderful person and I feel blessed to have known her. May she rest in peace.
1 △

Share ›

Alison Noll, '10 • 13 days ago

I knew Professor Hagedorn through Music and Dance of Bali. Being a part of the gamelan for a semester was one of the most unique and memorable experiences I had at Pomona, and I am so grateful for her support of that program. I'll never forget practicing our dance routine in the living room of her Harwood faculty residency. She was welcoming and supportive and will surely be missed by many.

Share ›

Leanne Welds '10 • 13 days ago

Seven years since I sat in my first, and ironically only, ethnomusicology class with Professor Hagedorn, and yet I miss her as though I was there just yesterday. She was the kind of teacher that touched lives, and stole a place in all of her student's hearts, including mine. She will be truly missed, mourned for, and celebrated.

Share ›

Martha Preston, Pomona '10 > Leanne Welds '10 • 12 days ago

Beautifully put, Leanne.

Share ›

Jessie Berman Boatright, '98 • 13 days ago

What a profound loss of a truly remarkable person. Professor Hagedorn had such a big influence on my Pomona experience. She was a role model to so many of us, and one of the reasons why the music department and the college was such a unique and special place. Most of all, she was just a good person, which I know is what will be most missed by her family and friends. I will remember her fondly and keep her family in my thoughts.

Share ›

Nicki Lisa Cole • 13 days ago

Katherine was an important part of my student experience at Pomona, serving as an advisor and second reader for my senior thesis on street performers in the urban realm. By all accounts, she was a wonderful teacher to all students she worked with. What a sad loss.

Share ›

Sadia Rodriguez '01 • 13 days ago

I am so sorry to hear of Katherine's passing. While I never took a class from her (she was on sabbatical when I took ethnomusicology) I worked in the music department and enjoyed many a conversation with her. I hope that her family can find peace and comfort at this difficult time.

Share ›

Jay • 13 days ago

I was in one of her classes, an intro to music history course. She was a gifted professor and will be sorely missed.

Share ›

Nancy Treser-Osgood '80 • 13 days ago

Katherine and I traveled together in January 2007 on a cruise through the Panama Canal and along the Pacific coast of Costa Rica with a group of Pomona alumni. She taught us to dance and shared her love of music, teaching us to listen for sounds that were buried deep within a song. Her love of life was contagious, and we were blessed to have her at Pomona College for the last 20 years. May she rest in peace.
Nancy Treser-Osgood '80
Director of Alumni Relations

Share ›

Mary Krass • 13 days ago

She was a lovely person with a kind heart! I am heartbroken that she was taken from this life too soon. I am so sorry for her son to have lost his mother, my sister--in-law to have lost her only sibling, and the rest of the family's loss as well. I am praying that God will comfort your hearts and provide you peace as only he can provide. Our deepest sympathy, Mary & Todd Krass

Old November 26th, 2013 #6
Alex Linder
Administrator

A WASPing We Shall Go

By Alex Linder [index]

Ok...for those who can't decode WASPing, I'll cut, copy and explain. Using others' demise to further our comedic and educational aims is the heart of everything high-minded WASPs DON'T stand for, but it's also the dead frog-fucking center of everything I DO, so lets embark posthaste.

Such a wonderful spirit.

WASPs have no souls. They have spirits? They have spirits of accountants too gutless to embezzle. Maybe. I mean, I'd bet the other way there too, but I suppose it's possible.

And of course, if you aren't on their like list, then you're mean-spirited. Not wrong. Deficient in some imaginary virtue 'good' people (their circle) possess. This is a chickenshit way of moving through the world, but it is their way. I am quite honest when I say the jewish way is preferable to the WASP way. It's better to be an honest, down-to-earth criminal than whatever it is WASP elite think they are. Again, I'm not talking about Bob Parley in his rotten Ford with his ugly dog, I'm talking about the lacquered and breath-minted elite.

I cannot fathom that my sisterfriend Katherine is gone.

That isn't tolerable. A rat would emete that shit. Your "sisterfriend"? Jesus Christ Risible.

Future times, in this beautiful life,

WASPs are OBSESSED with using words like HIGH and BEAUTY and SPIRIT (it's a softer, perfumigated version of Lenin's PC's attempt to create a alternative reality via words) - really, all WASP culture is like Mary Baker Eddy + water. I know not even one percent of you will appreciate what I mean viscerally, but perhaps you can grasp it mentally: Mary Baker Eddy's Science and Health is the WASP mentality raised to the highest degree, or ad nauseam, ad ridiculum, ad abstrusium. Ultimately, by this way of thinking you get to a language in which everything is abstract and, well, glides into and out of everything else, is perfectly transitive. All becomes one. It's the most frustrating thing in the world to read and try to make sense of. Well, anyone with sense can make it for nonsense with a few minutes' review, but you still might have to go to Sunday School for a good many years. Anyway, this high-minded gunk, for proper WASP elite are never anything else, creates a cultic atmosphere that is appealing to many or even most elite women, and far too many elite men. They create an atmosphere through their use of words, and a milieu through their actions and connections and institutions. If you don't speak, act and think like they do, and there are very good reasons not to, they will discover you and ostracize you. They are the opposite of a relaxed, reality-based community; they are rather a cult of high-minded strivers and seekers who call what they do service. They do well by doing good, as they see it. They might say because.

we would have experienced together over the coming years, growing older, will never happen. Ideas and projects that we would have helped each other create have gone silent. I will miss her warmth, humor, and brilliance.

Gauche as a prole's personal ad. The woman willingly spent her life studying and rising in a cult built on slitting animal throats as a way to propitiate the higher powers. Real friggin' noble.

Future laughter and wit in duet now deflected or echoing alone. The only way forward is to tend to the special lights that she emitted, and kindled in others. We love you Katherine. Thank you Pomona College for being her professional home for so many years.

Hmm...I suspect her bioluminescence were due to fungal infection, perhaps contracted from one of the donkeys this bongo-whapper assassinated. One of the risks of the trade.

facilitate class discussion better than anyone I have ever had teach me

That's a good compliment; she can be posthumously proud of that one. ... How WASP of me. I included a positive remark to feign even-handedness. The real me thinks these students praising her class discussions liked her ditching of solid academic work for braindead femalical jibber-jabber.

She had the gift of completely validating and accepting a person for what they are while at the same time encouraging them to be better.

You are awesome, mmkay? But if you were awesome and bathed regularly...holy shit man...Has the chart got a position ABOVE number one??

Katherine deeply influenced my teaching. At a workshop for new faculty
at Pomona College ten years ago, Katherine had all of us sitting in a circle
playing different African drums, some loud and others quiet. We each had a rhythm
to play. Initially our drumming was a frantic mess. She showed us in a dramatic
fashion how important it is to leave the pauses between phrases empty, so that
the other drum voices could be heard. Whenever there is a pause in one of my
class discussions, I remember Katherine and resist the urge to fill the quiet
with my own voice. So often the voices of students that are not often heard come
forth at those moments. I am so thankful to Katherine for helping me to make
space for those voices.

That's called antiphony, nigger! It's damn good too, as the niggers do it, listen to a Farrakhan speech. Listen to a Goyfire.

Words cannot describe our collective loss.

Oh yes they can. Words can describe anything. For example, your bottom looks like a exploded beanbag chair collected in a discount shopping bag.

I still can't wrap my mind around this.

I know, man. The bornin' papers clearly stated everyone gets to live to 92 in perfect health, so what-t-f gives with dying at 52?? We need to appeal this to some federal coroners' court.

Professor Hagedorn was a beautiful mind and a

There it is: the WASP's highest of holies: a beautiful mind. That term is catnip to them, what they aspire to, what they award each other. Remember Barbarba Bush's not troubling "my beautiful mind" with the horrors of (Afghanistan). I've never understood how a mind can be beautiful. The concept is non-cognizant, as the pretentious like to say. It is people who throw around garbage terms like this who are very often the practitioners of the lowest forms of scumbaggery, just as it is very often the people who proclaim their love of animals (another WASP stereotype) who are shittiest to actual humans. As a writer accurately summed up WASPS, they love dogs and hate people. The whole thing is just eddied Eddy: if we pretend bad things don't exist, or anything/one we don't like doesn't exist, then it goes away. Reality is determined by us! Reality is a social construct. And they've done all they could to make it so. All cults are like this. Realitarians are hated and need not apply, and if admitted and discovered, given the order of the boot. My mom graduated from Pomona. She wanted one of her children to go there. I did. If Pomona had had inkling of my views, granted not as fully formed on entrance as exit, I would never have been admitted - and the Dean of Admissions more or less said this straight out in a hostile LTE back when I was Opinions Ed. at the student paper. This cult loves niggers and hates sniggers. Ah, who'm I kidding. I was the bad guy, and I loved it, just like Tony Montana. This cult gots money and power, but it also gots nothing. Big heaping scoops of pissant nothing.

There is only one term WASPs love more than 'beautiful mind,' and that is...enrichment. My college president, David Alexander, among the dead, who will figure in this thread, believe you me, was enamored of this word. If this word could have been animatronicized into a vinyl doll he would have left his wife for it. He could not write a speech, hell a paragraph in a speech without using it. I always thought it was a real tell to where his mind lay. It honestly came off to me, with ears to laugh at it, like a Dickens character or a Butler character (The Way of All Flesh, remember the College of Spiritual Pathology). Everything enriches us, but we never touch on money, altho Dollar is our God and Dollar is our every waking thought. WASP's god is MONEY. He loves money like that ad dog loves BACON! But he can't admit this directly, so he has to come up with useful terms such as enrichment like a sort of e'erlit verbal candle one might buy in one of those womeny smell 'n' cards Stores of Niceness. It's enough to make a sane grown man chew on oleander, which is poisonous, for the arboreally disinclined among you.

helped me see music in a way that I'd never imagined it

Get a little suspicious at this sort of encomium, which is repeated through these letters. I suspect it might tinge into the political here, with them evaluating music by its ancestry rather than its, well, quality. A PC version of Twain's wholly justified snipe on Wagner: It's better than it sounds. I have a feeling that Guangian Throat Clearing fits that bill pretty neatly.

I remember every class period of Music 11

Geezus. No one remembers every class period of anything, even a seminar on Advanced Vampirology taught by Jebus himself. A phrase I can't quite remember fits here; this just goes beyond necessary exaggeration.

Katherine taught me the value of my own musical story, that there was a connection between learning and meaning. She encouraged me to stay close to my roots and to let my work find me

Yeah, that was a tactful way of saying the oboe escaped you, my darling; lay back and await your mate and metier, the noble kazoo. Rooty-toot toot! Woot!

These are all so close in spirit as the queer waiter who said to my table, essaying the sensuous, "I'll be right back with some warm bread and some cold water," a phrase that sparkled me for decades. By these I mean, taught me the value of my own musical story; like a painting that needs to be explained. Dopey broad, if your music has value, it's self-explanatory. Your burbling will hardly enrich it. she seemed to key into what each student cared about, even if we didn't know it ourselves ... That just verges on satire, makes the writer sound like a mind fit for Romper Room. Alt translation is this broad sucked after positive student evaluations, was afraid to kick students in the ass or send their tin ears to the recycling center. You can just see her handing this broad a triangle, "Here, this might be a little more your speed, mmkay?"

helped me see music in a way that I'd never imagined it. What I'll remember most are her potlatch suppers, usually featuring African vegetarian dishes, often based on beans. When the inevitable gas leak occurred, she giggled and called it found music.

Jesus. You can't make this stuff up. The she-Seinfeld of Grouse College.

Coming to terms with her loss—if this is even possible—will take us all a long time.

I feel like the girl in Vacation when Chevy Chase is painting the lily re the dead aunt.

the gift of music, the heart beating darkly. The topic was one thing, but what counted was the personal connection, the sense that thinking through music should be equal in complexity, vitality, and mystery to its subject

Really? Then why did she study third-world music? Has that species produced anything remotely as complex and nuanced as the white west? Isn't that pounding beat characteristic of music at its lowest, with nothing but limbic lust to express?

Beautiful person, beautiful mind, beautiful spirit, beautifully put - I defy anyone to tell me this unwitting repetition of these locutions of high-mindedness as they think of it is not characteristic of a cult. Repeating its mantra. They honestly are not aware of what they're doing, or how weird it is when you look at it objectively, or instinctively find it unappealing rather than appealing.

People these days are all about experiences, having them, collecting them, undergoing them, but it seems these seldom produce any interesting thoughts. A little in this world, any sector thereof, goes a very long way. If you know how to grind it up and make meal out of it.

Then at the bottom, from unrelated article 'beautifully written style,' jesus, it never ends with these people.

Last edited by Alex Linder; January 25th, 2014 at 11:11 PM.

Old November 27th, 2013 #7
Alex Linder
Administrator

[geez, google discloses this, which had forgotten about completely, something i wrote back in 2006, on an issue of my alumni magazine. it will pull up, trust me, but jesus might get back first. will repost below.]

http://www.vanguardnewsnetwork.com/2...e-spring-2006/

Pomona College Magazine, Spring 2006
Posted by alex in Alex Linder, magazine reviews, Pomona at 4:30 pm | Permanent Link

The mater matrix pinches off an alumni mag three times a year. The latest issue is chock full of stubby brown goodness, like unto an ashtray at a cigar bar.

For years I was lost to fundraisers, then last fall I got a call. I told the student that the chance of Pomona receiving one wooden ha’penny from me was less than negative, but that when I became rich, I would consider setting up a scholarship for needy White males of proven mental merit. Consider it. Great brains equipped with money remains worthless if the professors profess nonsense. Just what is it Pomona professors know that’s worth paying to learn? Very little, by my experience. Glorious blue-gold SoCal afternoons, with the sun, slowly, slowly dying — these are free, and these are what I value and remember.

Pomona is an independent liberal-arts college located in Claremont, California. It was set up to be a Southern California version of an ivy league school. The founders were three-named WASPs from the East Coast, and their mentality and mission have developed, or devolved, in the same way everthing else has. We look to the future while keeping a proud toe in the past, like a properly coiffed and shell-waving Alabama beauty contestant. I extract from memory: They only are loyal to this institution who in departing bear their added riches in trust for mankind. That was graven on one of the walls near the eucalyptus trees. This site bears riches for mankind, however, as you will see, those riches were not acquired via Pomona, but in spite of her – through independent reading carried out at the opportunity cost of passing on assigned marxoid/Anglo-historical rubbish.

You don’t even have to open this square, expensive production before your lips peel back in grimace. The only positive note seems to be the lack of an article on Kabuki, a type of Japanese puppet theatre perhaps the single most boring art form on earth, and the subject of extensive features virtually every other edition. Thank god for small favors. What we do get is a cover shot — by Carlos Puma! rowrrrr — a free-gray-and-fifty-one pic of some grinny yoregrad — surrounded by roughly a dozen brown stubbies, several attempting to press their everted lips on her chin, forehead and hair. Words? “The Many Faces of Family…” Ah, I don’t need to tell you what we’re in for here. You know. Homos and houseplants; second basemen with basters; proud china-pet owners; anything but mom ‘n’ pop and their blue/blond slop. Who’s to say what’s a family? Yeah. Who’s? You and your hidebound divisive disinclusivism? Yeah, that’s what I thought. Let me tell you, friend, your kind is on the way out.

This display is geared to sway and suck bucks from the sixties set. To persuade them that their peers sail successfully into the warm wild winds of worldism, and they should hop on board too. Diversity and high standards: as natural as black and blonde, moving arm in arm forward into the New Era. Pomona’s ruling ideology is WASP-faced judeobolshevism. If you want to see its dark side, you have only to pipe up that it’s based on contradictions, and cannot hold. It’s a chocolate-dipped turd: it may look, is certainly made to look, lucious and sweet on the outside, but bite in, and find out just how distasteful and septic it is within.

Let’s page through this thing and see what we find…

Inside cover: two girls graduating, being handed their diplomas by a blonde in a mortarboard. I’m just going to guess the grinning girls are nonWhites.

The letters section has an old photo of a girl being weighed and measured. She’s ill at ease. Older male letters writers are horrified at this tradition – the boys used to weigh and measure incoming freshman females. I agree on this. It is a ridiculous tradition. It is degrading and it disrespects the privacy of the girl in question. If I were male, I would not have participated, and if I were female, I would have told any boy who tried to grab me to go fuck himself. If I were a hermaprodite, I would have pretended I were a girl, and then pissed on Johnny McSophomore after making him fondle my crotch. Of course, none of these ever occurred to 99% of the idiots who beat and bewail these traditions today. Morons. No character then, no character today. Listen to this moronic jackoff:

Why didn’t we do the job 20 years earlier, why let that barbaric custom continue unchallenged? Many of us were appalled. Short-circuiting it would have been child’s play. I suppose, in those grey days of McCarthyist conformity, that was just one more thing we accepted without thinking about. — [Sparkles McDouchebag] class of ’54

Yeah, blame McCarthy for your own cowardice. Fact is, most people are useless cunts, no matter how bright. They all do what they’re told, and eagerly, gleefully join in hating and shitting on those who don’t.

First article’s got a far too close up pic of some Paki prof, Pakis being the its and essences of brown stubbies. He’s interviewed by larval Michael Bernstein (’08) about his work relieving on survivors of some massive earthquake that played Wack-a-paki with distraught semi-doogas in 2005. Please go back there and stay there, Mr. Professor of Economics.

There’s a blurb on the animals and plants in Pomona. Let’s face it, this is a tiny carveout suburb, around which some increasingly nasty mexiniggeria fondulates, specifically the town of Pomona itself, which has always been nigger central, until the shitskins began pushing them out. Pomona has more than 3,700 trees. Who counted? Why? Who cares? Why? The only remarkable aspect of the flora at Pomona are the eucalyptus trees. These are the ones koala bears live in and feed on; they have bark that peels in long strips, giving them the appearance of being outfit in camouflage. They’re just dirty trees from Australia, from another view. They pollute like geese. There I go again, saying trees pollute, just like Ronny Ray-gun, exactly the sort of thing the stupid liberals populating Pomona like to laugh at.

Pomona brags on its three kinds of ivy, but I can tell you that most of it is dusty, dirty, and just plain nasty, and full of webs with frighteningly large funnels. I had to wrestle many a truculent spider for the return of foul balls, back in the day. It seldom rains down there, and of course it’s never winter, so the nasties escape hibernian check. You walk down the sidewalk after dark, you’ll see plenty of roaches running around under the streetlamps; and where there’s ivy, there are always rats. Funny these don’t make the list of fauna. Why do we ignore four- and six-legged vermin, yet celebrate two-?

There’s a notice that one Elizabeth Armintrout, or Elizabeth “Libby” Gates Armintrout, ’86, has joined the PC board of trustees. I recall the name (I’m ’88) but only vaguely the girl, appears she’s related to that Gates, as she’s from that neck of the woods. She’s also president of The Lakeside School, which I believe Bill Gates attended. She’s your classic WASP in appearance, pale, washed out blue-blonde, almost half-albino. These WASPs appear frailer than they are. They appear weak, but are not weak. By the same token, they appear reasonable and solicitous, but tend toward moral insanity. They tend to exhibit religious fanaticism, usually manifesting itself in a political form. That means, hating people like me and outlets such as VNN that tell you the truth about race, because it conflicts with their religious attempts to alchemize niggers and like vermin into humans. Their very words tell the prick’t they’re off. Here’s some classic WASPery:

In a 2004 foreward for Star Palate, a celebrity cookbook to benefit breast and ovarian cancer research, she wrote, “Whether we’re opening our homes to friends for entertainment or caring for someone who is unwell, we extend ourselves to nourish others.

This is the modern version of ‘noblesse oblige.’ Imagine how warped and dangerous you have to be to see yourself unembarrassed in print as ‘nourishing’ others. You dig on this dryblonde’s dug you might get powdered milk if you’re lucky. This Armintrout is the type that has 0.2 kids, and is fecund with nothing but fanaticism, however mildly and tastefully it is expressed.

Conceive, if you can, the mentality behind the self-conception in I’m a nourisher. In my relations with others, I nourish them. This is of a piece with Barbara Bush’s not letting Iraqi body bags cloud her “beautiful mind.” The fact that this poisonous, laughable noblesse oblige is baseless, indeed positively dangerous — that it fucks up the world — doesn’t matter to the fucker. Only that she feels good about her nourishing self. She’s good. She nourishes others, she doesn’t mind conceding. True helpfulness begins in self-examination which ends truly and only in self-disgust, the root of all anti-evil. All great men know this. Dim missies never do. I wonder if any of this type has written a book titled: The Nourishing Self. If not, I bet one will. Well it might sell. Anglo’zed Americunts never tire of seeing themselves the helpful exemplars to an undeserving world. Yeck and wretch, but step lively, or the nasty nourishing juggernaut will run you down. The wattful among you may catch the callback to the ‘continuing to nourish a climate of opposition to bigotry,’ as expressed by the jew explaining their brilliant policy in opening our borders to the sewer world.

The only way to make my utter disdain and yes, hatred, of this type plainer is by contrasting it with the better type, my type. This type recognizes that human beings are inherently digusting, offensive, unappetizing to others, and so does what it can not to nourish others, but to make itself ever so slightly less obnoxious to them. Except for the canting, cunting WASPS and the jews they “nourish” for; — they are the aggressors, and need to be checked by their betters.

Hi! My name is Elizabethy “Libby” Gates Armintrout. What do I do? I nourish. Yeah. Many are called, few are chosen. I’m a soup kitchen in a blouse. The ladels scooping from my beautiful mind feed millions. Look on my works, ye haters, and despair…

Flipping over, we come across, mirabile dictu, racial pride! White pride? No. “Latino pride.” It will not be the last appearance of brown pride in this issue… We read that Pomona was named one of the nation’s “10 best colleges for Latinos” by Hispanic Magazine, out of Miami. We learn that this school of 1500+ is 11 percent “Latino.” At least three times higher percentage than the years I attended. Why this article is titled “Latino Pride” isn’t clear, but that ‘Latino’ is something worth taking pride in is self-evident and unproblematic to the white editor, Mark Wood.

What are the top ten colleges for Whites?

Flip, flip, flip… article on video games…boring… flip…good lord….a student wearing an outrageous shirt. Right on her budding tits are depictions of Goering, Himmler, Goebbels, and, yes, Hitler at the three-a.m. stage of partying. “Shirts & Hens (Pomona’s mascot is the sagehen) / The Nazi Party”…it’s all in good fun, you understand. The ideologues at whose feet more than 100,000,000 corpses can be laid just partied a littler harder than most. All in good fun. Oh yeah, remember to remember the Holocaust, and vote Quimby.

There’s an article on KSPC, the campus radio station, its origins and development. “Relegated to the lower bandwidths at the far left of the FM dial, small college stations created a culture of ‘underground’ radio that focused on the avant garde and esoteric, often providing a platform for points of view that ran counter to the McCarthyism and Cold War paranoia of the era.” That’s two mentions of McCarthyism and we’re only eight pages in. Those fearing communism and its hundred-million corpses need to doff their paranoia and don their party gear.

“Station manager Tracy Westen ’62 won national awards and raised a few eyebrows when he and his KSPC crew produced a documentary series on a national trend toward right-wing demagoguery — its centerpiece an exclusive interview with and exposé of American Nazi Party leader George Lincoln Rockwell.” Nice example of the hypocrisy of the WASP/liberal. He’ll do any dirty thing that’s profitable, he just wraps it up so it pleases his conscience. He’s nourishing opposition to bigotry – and making a buck.

Flip again…a feature on students and their spaces. Whatever. Students featured are: jew, white male normal, gook female, white female, mexigook (best guess), white male – lifting weights, wearing Pabst Blue Ribbon shirt with sleeves cut out.

Then we’re to the cover story. Martha Evans ’57 is the granma amid the duskies. She had a bunch of kids, adopted a bunch more, drove her husband away. We are lectured by writer Rachel Stewart Johnson ’96: “Once upon a time, American families were all of the type enshrined by Norman Rockwell in his paintings – a mom, a dad and two children…blah, blah, blah…”there is no typical American family.” A family is any collection of more than one people combining its genitals in shapes beyond geometry, producing offspring more frightening than the snakes growing out of the potatoes you forgot under the sink last winter.

“Where other people were afraid to go, I would tend to go,” self-congratulates multi-mother Martha. This self-satisfaction is inescapable among Po-people. False humility, moral preening, that weak tea the WASP passes for funny. What a repugnant culture. It is the antithesis of all that is harsh, clear, strong, true and beautiful. It is thin, vicious, hypocritical, and smug by contrast.

“A first-generation American with a Norwegian mother and an Irish father, Evans possesses the fair skin, light hair and Lutheran religion typical of her ancestry — all traits well removed from the Mexican roots shared by the majority of her brood.” Mexicans are simply weeds. Go to a beach dominated by Mexicans and drive up and down it. Look at them. Do they appear to be human in the same sense Whites are? No, they don’t. They aren’t. They are inferior, and to celebrate humans’ promiscuous mingling with them is to celebrate the inferior and defective.

Slammed up against this cover story is one about a Marilyn Filley (’88), and her struggle to raise her autistic son. He’s blond. It’s a tragic story – autism has become widespread for unknown reasons, and we wish Filley and family well, but the point here is: Have you noticed how often white males are associated with defects social and physical? Stories like this invariably feature white males. All the ‘wonderful’ diversity disappears when it’s autism or wetting the bed or some other unpleasantry. Of course, there is nothing accidental about it. The intent is to associate the two, as the inverse of the ubiquitous black-blonde pairing. Whatever can be done to raise the prestige of coloreds and lower the prestige of white males will be faithfully executed in the WASP-faced judeomedia, where blond hair is the new black hat.

The third family profile is two grinning lesbians and their son. The well named Marcia Hams, (’69!), is one of them, and she and her little brewer were apparently the first to take advantage of the Massachusetts law enshrining the fiction that women can marry women. Hams became a machinist’s apprentice. She served on committees. She barked for rights. Obeying her urges, she induced an elmer to part with his Very Special glue. “It’s the world that has the problem, not us.” You go, lesbos. Apparently the happy three are poster children for the fagfolk brigades, and all this happy lapping, we are assured, is indistinguishable from progress.

The fourth and final menage involves a female rabbi, a river otter, and a marsupial to be named later.

I’m kidding. Maybe. Or maybe it’s a woman gazing off three-quarters, clutching a framed photo of the dead drunk she called son. She went to Pomona. He went, briefly, to Chico State. His wannabe Greek buddies forced a bottle of brandy in him, sent him downstairs to sleep it off, where he went that extra mile and expired.

Well, that’s what you get when you set up monkey houses like Chico State and pretend they’re colleges.

So, for those keeping score, that’s one dead white male, one defective and one “normal” with two moms. And a whole lot of happy, mostly healthy adopted coloreds. This mess is family.

Only those while males receive fair treatment who subordinate themselves to an obscene ordering of things in which everything female and colored is superior but just might, if we’re super polite and grovelly, condescend to drop a scooby snack somewhere near us on the floor.

PCT offers a high-end version of the sitcom/ad staple: the male as doofus, goofball, in need of instruction and consciousness raising from his morally and intellectually and culturally superior woman. Again, this shit can be laid directly at the foot of the WASP and his ridiculous Christian-Victorian culture.

Women? Good for fucking, for producing kids. You won’t find one in a thousand with something to say. That’s the truth. As for their being morally superior, anyone who puts women on a pedestal for that is an unobservant fool. Women are more vicious, less intelligent, and in almost every way less impressive than men. To wrap them in cloth like the Muslims do is going too far, but to put them on pedestals and worship them is every bit as ridiculous, and far more dangerous. If you hate our modern culture, not only do you hate jews, you hate women acting on their un-male-mediated devices. Where women rule, there is no freedom, no true taste, just mediocrity and conformity as far as the eye can see. This is why women are favored in today’s world – and why men are encouraged to become women. Women don’t challenge the power structure, they aren’t built for it. They’re built to conform, no matter who’s setting the pattern or calling the shots. Very, very, very few women understand this. For all their ability to spot motives and emotions in personal interviews, they’re completely blind to the way their sex is manipulated through Nike commercials, Title IX, and the whole girl power garbage. It must be emphasized, though, that women and their role in any society is nothing but a function and reflection of the state of the male. Women can only do what men allow and encourage them to. They are not capable of initiating things on their own outside established patterns. Women today are used as part of a system in which one set of males arranges to dominate another. The nigger or the sandler gets the blonde; the blonde spends her family’s pent up billions to aid the little niggers in Africa – these are different aspects of the same zirconium. Women dominating an institution is an unmistakeable sign that the golden age has passed. Five IQ points dumber than men, women nevertheless receive the majority of the degrees. Do you think that is by accident? Then you fail to think at all.

You can’t start being carefully Correct too early, otherwise you’ll get Afro-nagged for wearing a stars-n-bars stickpin when you were twelve. From article about kids and parents communicating via new e-means: [The parent] “says she is amazed by what some people will post online, but Tom’s blog doesn’t contain any surprises. Her son says that’s his intention. “I know it’s a public record so anything I post there has to be appropriate reading for my mom, my future children, my future employers, maybe even my future constituents.” Is that the voice of maturity, or is that the Scared-Correct major in rabbitry?

Seems the administration commissioned this article about ‘heliparents’ who are overly attentive to their student’s problems. Back off, parents. The irony they see is the baby-boomers who overthrew in loco parentis back in the sixites now hang and hover. Dean Bruce Poch doesn’t like that. He’s the guy who not only signed the letter with the other deans and president denouncing me, but wrote his own separate letter, with extra curses. He would later write an article re admissions stating overtly that Pomona discrimates against Whites, describing them as bigots who aren’t open-minded enough to benefit from a Pomona education. Golf clap for Dean Wurmpoke, everybody…

The real point is that the parents don’t care about what the kids are studying. They care about grades, and that the value of the name they’re buying stays high. What kind of flesh goes in the sausage, eh, it can be so much jagdwurst for all they care. College, like most things in life, is a scam. Call it.

Next up, oh, you’re gonna love this one, is ‘lactivist’ — how cute! — “Lorig Charkoudian.” Her activism consists of badgering Starbucks to let her play sow in whichever portion of their cafe she pleases. Activism = whining. Activism = selfishness. Activism = demanding others accommodate themselves to you. Activism = making oneself a public nuisance. Stupid broad.

A month later, she would be occupying a chair across from CNN’s Anderson Cooper. But on that day at the coffee shop, she was just another tired suburban mom…

Get it? Rosa Parks all over again. Like badly reproduced copies of a fake original. Liberalism has become a caricature of itself, and itself when original was wholly fraudulent. No need to journ to Oberammergau for passion plays, there’s one running at a latte barn next door…

Asked to cover her tit with a towel, this bitch gets uppity, demands her money back. Races home, hops on the ‘Net. “Maryland law, Chardoukian discovered…protects a mother’s right to breastfeed at private businesses…” Wow. You have the “right” to breastfeed your kid, but not to send your kid to a public school free of niggers. That’s liberalism for you, straining at gnats, gulping camels. Valiantly combating corporate oppression by turning over huge new swaths of human interaction to ZOG busybodies. Women have the right never to be made uncomfortable, under any circumstances, no matter what difficulties that imposes on others. This too is “civil rights.”

Next up are the two graduatin’ girls referred to at the beginning. They are, suhprise suhprise, twin Mexicans, graduated top of their class at Napa high. Now they’re attending colleges 3,000 miles apart. Where’s the story here? Does someone care? Not three paragraphs in:

The twins had decided to make a statement during the ceremony. As Jazmin crossed the stage to accept her diploma, she unfolded a black-and-white banner reading Orgullo Latino — “Latino Pride.” Lizbeth followed right behind her with a Mexican flag.

There’s even a picture. Not to mention they were presidents of the “Hispanic Club.” I must say there’s something odd about these girls. The one attending Bowdoin looks far more jewish than Mexican. She’s teamed up with other rugby-playing girls to form a scrum of deliciousness.

Flip, flip, flip. What have we here? Oy, a near-prize-winning essay, itz. What prize? “The Elie Wiesel Prize in Ethics”! Another good example of jewish humor, assocating Jerry Lee “Great Balls o’ Fire” Lewis, I mean, Elie P. “Great Geysers o’ Blood” Wiesel with ethics. You could charge for juxtaposition like that. The essay is Correctly boring in predictable ways, so we’ll draw a veil over it.

So much agitslop and we’ve only slogged 40 of the 66. Flip, we must. Like madmen, or agitated lactrishas bent on bending nut-juicers to their fiery will.

Finally one decent thing, which we’ll disembed from its Up, Up with Disableds context. The Italian term sprezzatura – making the hard look easy. Nice and useful term. You will hardly be surpised to learn that this term emerges from a discussion of a stuttering dean overcoming his obstacle to read the names of graduating seniors. It never ends. The invention or discovery of new classes of oppressed is the vocation and avocation of the left. Could anything be less interesting or more destructive – once the lib solution is applied?

Next is the books section, with an article by Hugo Martin (’87), a Mexican plucked from our newsroom to intern at the L.A. Times, and apparently still there, twenty years later. It’s a great time to be Mexican. No need to chop the ‘ez’ off your name. I always enjoy the list of books published by graduates, although they’re usually highly specialized. The name you might recognize is Crichtonlike Douglas Preston (’78), out with Tyrannosaur Canyon. There’s also a book by a Laura Kalman (’74) about student activism at Yale in the sixties. There’s a sidebar on Reimagining Jezebel. Is there any historical woman, fictional or flesh, who hasn’t been resuscitated and repurposed by some kike ideo-puppeteer? Turns out Jezebel was no whore but an “astute leader.” Like so many women, she was “self-possessed” and “rational.”

Here’s something interesting. The bushyites, ever fearful, made an appearance on campus to question a Venezuelan prof. “After praising my academic credentials, they indicated they were there to gather information about Venezuelans in Southern California,” just like they were the ADL or something. The bushies are as paranoid as jews, and in many cases, of course, are jews. They think everyone is out to get them, so better get them first! “Over and over they asked if anyone from the Venezuelan government or embassy had tried to influence my views on Venezuelan politics and relations with the U.S. (the answer is no)…” Ah, the scared little Anglo-men, always scurrying, always sniffing. Look what a mess they’ve made of a once-nice country. Look where their subordination of American interests to Britain and Israel has led us. “They simply wanted to develop a profile of the community and any Venezuelans in the area.” That’s all. (The prof in question is Miguel Tinker Salas.) Them being the L.A. County Sheriff in conjunction with the FBI Joint Task Force on Terrorism (JTTF).

The final feature shows a proud mixed-race couple, white male and Asian female. Greg “Grace” Stanat (’87) relates the story of his post-nuptial Wanderjahr. Greg’s come a long way from lead singer of Bung Ramen. He’s a world traveler. Observing gorillas in Africa, marrying Asians in AmeriKwa, hobnobbing with saffronics in Pieroneistan. “Cambodia is resplendent with memories for the eye. This one is for the heart.” What about the nose, Greg? What about the nose?

Last and quite possibly least there’s Emily Arnold-Fernandez (’99), “Advocate for the Dispossessed,” if you can bear it. She’s a suspiciously light-blue-eyed, light-haired girl who is fresh into Georgetown Law, between whose sessions she tends to the administrative needs of the improperly papered. She helps them navigate confusions until they’re safely set up in your neighborhood. “Her first client — a Liberian youth whose parents disappeared during fighting and civil unrest in his country — now lives in Connecticut thanks largely to the research and advocacy Arnold-Fernandez provided…” Thanks, sweety! Will you pick up the bill for the rape swabs when the little monkey turns twelve?

If you ever wonder how clowns like those who produce and promote the Arnold-Fernandezes of the world justify their actions, rest assured they never pause to ponder. Theirs the life of accusations and self-flattery, never a shadow doth cross. There are those who heed desperate Connecticut’s cries for Libyan orphans. And there are those who don’t care.

“The Cairo experience had a dramatic impact on her and served as a catalyst for the work she does today: Arnold-Fernandez heads up a nonprofit organization that aims to provide free legal aid to the world’s most embattled refugees as they struggle for legal rights in the countries to which they flee.” Translation: she helps facilitate the invasion Raspail describes in Camp of the Saints. How can those with nothing be dispossessed? Only those who possess something can lose it. Those would be Whites. Such as the Whites who owned property and led lives in Rhodesia and South Africa. Do you think they receive legal aid from A-F’s nonprofit?

“Her ambitious foray into the field of refugee rights…” – so invading your neighborhood is their “right.” Everything’s a right with Po-people. Fighting for rights is what they do. Spreading hate is what you do when you fight back. “Because of her outstanding public service [helping niggers invade Connecticut], Pomona has chosen Arnold-Fernandez to receive the Inspirational Young Alumni Award for 2005-6.” Aren’t you inspired?

In class notes I see that my old feminist-jew editor has “finally met my nice Jewish boy!” At last, a prince among the putzim. 1.2 to follow…

Well, our little journey is through, at least for the spring. It was Pomona, but it could have been 100 other institutions – same ups same downs. The orthodoxy is pure, its brow untroubled. Reality only intrudes to remind the Povoids to redouble, to rededicate their efforts to worldism. Beneath the shiny, happy surface lurk monsters. When you marry an Asian, your kid is a gook. That means something. When you deposit a Libyan in Hartford, you’ve turned a little corner of America into Africa. That means something. When you unfurl your Latino pride, when find your nice jewish boy, but you deny us our Whiteness, maybe, just maybe, you bite off more than you can chew.

http://www.vanguardnewsnetwork.com/2...e-spring-2006/

alex Says:
16 May, 2006 at 11:13 pm

1) link to Pomona College Today – appears that the entire issue is online

http://pomona.edu/magazine/pcmsp06/

2) Herr Holden – I’m not trying to get at the truth directly in this particular instance, I’m trying to make you feel what is wrong by highlighting the sicko Gleichschaltung that prevails at an elite private school. It’s not a matter of scores or money. You could easily prove Pomona scores and endowment are higher than ever, its physical plant spiffy and new. But the animating spirit is diseased.

If you want the blunt, for chrissakes, don’t act like I of all people don’t provide it! College is a scam. Don’t fall for it. Unless you’re majoring in comparatively uncorrupted hard sciences, or need a degree to get into law school, you can’t justify paying the exorbitant prices even the state schools demand today.

Last edited by Alex Linder; December 5th, 2013 at 04:57 PM.

Old November 27th, 2013 #8
Alex Linder
Administrator

old thread featuring fake hate crime perpetrated by jewess Dunn and t_electric saga

http://vnnforum.com/showthread.php?p=36657

Old November 27th, 2013 #9
Alex Linder
Administrator

Interesting, Pomona College magazine from way back has reference to my relative Usher Linder in an article "Lingering Memories of Lincoln in Illinois"

http://books.google.com/books?id=UG0...linder&f=false

Old November 27th, 2013 #10
Alex Linder
Administrator

[Shit! The commies are onto me and Rev Oliver's 100-year-old fascist plot.]

Claremont Authorities Promote Fascism at Hate Rally
by Rockero Tuesday, Mar. 22, 2011 at 1:10 AM
[email protected]

Saturday, March 19, 2011

CLAREMONT, California - Despite the best efforts of the City of Claremont and the Claremont Consortium of Colleges to obstruct, befuddle, and otherwise thwart a popular demonstration against fascism, the Southern California community succeeded in doing precisely that at two parallel demonstrations in response to a heavily-armed presence of a band of racist paramilitaries and their state-funded protectors.

naziscmtsign19mar2011.jpg, image/jpeg, 180x245

The neo-nazi National Socialist "Movement," who have spearheaded overt manifestations of fascism and targetted immigrant and Jewish communities in Southern California's Inland Empire in the past year, held a brief demonstration of hatred at the corner of Indian Hill and Foothill in the city of Claremont, allegedly to make a statement about illegal immigration. The NSM's mouthpiece, a Riverside-dwelling boor named Jeff Hall, (the same imbecile who missed his own first rally due to car trouble) also admitted to some other motives, telling corporate media outlets that his gaggle of losers was also opposing the students of the Claremont Colleges for expressing pro-immigrant sentiment, and that they had been invited by local racists.

While Claremont is famed primarily for its private, elitist liberal arts colleges and its overpriced shopping and entertainment district, it also has a dark legacy of racism and reactionary activity.

At the time of white colonization, what is now Claremont was a settlement of Yuhaviatam (Serrano) people. Like most indigenous Californians, their language is Shoshonean, part of the Uto-Aztecan family that also includes many of the indigenous languages of Mexico.

Shoshones are disgusting savages with sooty eyes and heads shaped like pumpkins. Most of them have venereal disease and IQs lower than the lizards they call lunch.

Under Spanish domination, the Yuhaviatam people were dispossessed of their lands and disenfranchised. Despite a violent uprising in 1812 carried out in coordination with the Cahuilla and Yuma peoples, in 1834 most were forced to live at the Spanish missions and were robbed of their religion.

Under the Americans, they suffered even worse fates, including the infamous 1856 massacre by American vigilantes, which lasted 32 days.

The racist Revilo P. Oliver, who attended Pomona College in the early 1900s, went on to promote racist ideologies, giving them a veneer of intellectual legitimacy. Alex Linder, another product of Pomona College, runs the white supremacist website Vanguard News Network.

In 1999, Claremont police officers Hany Hanna and Kent Jacks shot and killed Irvin Landrum, Jr, a young black man at a traffic stop. The weapon they attempted to pin on him to justify the murder was traced to a retired Ontario police chief and laboratory tests showed that it had never been fired. The pigs were subsequently awarded as "employees of the year."

During the same year, Nazi Party member Richard Bunck ran for Claremont city council and school board, while Hale McGee, who had operated a nazi bookstore, also pursued a council seat.1

Since about 2009, Claremont has been home to the racist Minuteman outfit "We the People, California's Crusader," whose members, Robin Hvidston and Raymond Herrera (both of whom were present at the nazi rally), opted for a PO Box adjacent to the ultraconservative and reactionary Claremont Institute when the Minutemen began to become unmasked as violent racists in the wake of the murder of nine-year-old Brisenia Flores by Shawna Forde's band of Arizona Minutemen.

Also in 2009, the ultraconservative Mountain View Republican Club invited the racist founder of the Minuteman Project, Jim Gilchrist, to speak to their club on April 20. The club as since invited representatives of the hate group Numbers USA to speak to its membership.

Claremont is represented in Washington by the self-hating, closeted homophobe and racist Republican David Dreier, and recently sent the racist Minuteman Tim Donnelly to the state assembly as its representative. Donnelly has already introduced numerous anti-immigrant legislative assaults, that, while sure to go nowhere, are frightful by their very nature and encourage racist assaults of other types. Donnelly was recently listed among the Southern Poverty Law Center's "23 Candidates on the Radical Right".

It is easy to see, then, why the nazis see this city as a base of power.

Early efforts to organize opposition were confounded, first by city officials who refused the organizers of a peace rally a permit for Memorial Park, only to then reserve it themselves for the rally, creating much confusion in the process. However, despite ultimately allowing the demonstration to proceed, the city did not allow for amplified sound, effectively dooming the effort to send a powerful message of peace and racial harmony.

The colleges, meanwhile, were jockeying for control over the counterdemonstration, first encouraging it to take place on-campus, then, when unable to wrest control from the city, slandering student organizers with the statement:

"Several other individuals and groups, including those that are interested in inciting the crowd, typically attend these types of events. Some of these people are sympathizers or followers of the NSM, while others may not be affiliated in any way, they frequently are more interested in creating a lawless environment."

And discouraged students from attending at all, writing that "[b]ecause of the potential for violence, we encourage you to avoid the NSM rally and to, at all times, be aware of your surroundings and make safety your top priority."

Nonetheless, the efforts of the authorities did not dampen the will of upwards of 500 passionate protesters, who filled Memorial Park and participated in sign-making, Native and Christian prayer ceremonies, and heard from speakers from numerous student, community, and religious groups.

Three blocks north, approximately twenty nazis enjoyed enjoyed the protection of approximately 150-200 police officers and sheriffs from as many as five local jurisdictions. They were dressed in riot gear, carried tear gas-projectile-launching weapons, and there were reports of the "sound gun." The SWAT team was present, and a team of officers filmed and photographed counterdemonstrators from their perch atop the U.S. Bank in direction violation of the Handschu agreement.

As with most anti-nazi demonstrations, most activists saw the occasion more as an organizing opportunity than an opportunity to genuinely halt fascist activity, especially in light of the awareness that the FBI conducts surveillance at these events specifically to target antiauthoritarians and other practitioners of direct action.

Immigrant rights advocates offered that the best way to combat racism was to fight for a comprehensive immigration reform, revolutionary socialists argued for revolution against capitalism, and antiauthoritarians took the opportunity to highlight the parallels between the paramilitary neo-nazis and their state-sanctioned and taxpayer-funded protectors.

Once again, the nazis failed to articulate a cogent message, and came off as a weak bunch of ex-cons easily-identifiable by their prison-quality tattoos.

After just about an hour of their offensive "sig heiling" and hate speech, they retreated to their cars and the people again took the streets.

And once again, by displaying their repulsive countenances in public, they have provided the resistance with vital information about their identities, which will be passed to the appropriate parties to be used at a future date.

Report this post as:
Share on: Twitter, Facebook, Google+

add your comments

http://la.indymedia.org/news/2011/03/245075.php

Old March 31st, 2014 #11
Alex Linder
Administrator

[looking at Pomona College tweets - just overwhelming muds being accepted, and reading thru their twitters you can tell they're below or far below the level needed to make it there]

[nigger]

Timothy Woods ‏@op_TIM_istic_T Dec 14
I GOT ACCEPTED INTO POMONA COLLEGE. I'M DYING RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!! I CAN'T BREATHE!!!!!! #pomona2018

Timothy Woods
Timothy Woods
@op_TIM_istic_T
True contentment is waking up in a midst full of poverty and still managing to smile. #Pomona2018

TWEETS FOLLOWING FOLLOWERS

Follow
User Actions
Timothy Woods ‏@op_TIM_istic_T 3h
I can't do homework for more than five minutes. It's like impossible
Details

[this monkey isn't qualified for community college]

Old March 31st, 2014 #12
Alex Linder
Administrator

[examples of campus life, campus events, speeches, performances, lectures]

Pomona College ‏@pomonacollege Dec 8
The Pomona College Balinese Ensemble will perform Giri Kusuma Monday night at Little Bridges at 8pm. http://ow.ly/ruVFZ
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Pomona College ‏@pomonacollege Dec 7
Mon at 5:30, Adam Nossiter will speak on “Covering Africa for The New York Times” as part of our Africa Initiative http://ow.ly/ruVwO

Virgiawan L ‏@Virgigis Dec 6
West Coast!!! RT @AnzacEducation: Pomona College, The Gorgeous Green Campus http://wp.me/p2PFbh-3Ta

Kilsally (Alan Day) ‏@Kilsally Dec 4
video of his argument to retain the FDA ban on homosexual blood donation 2010 debate at Pomona College in Claremont http://bit.ly/1eOITHr

AlertNet ‏@AlertNet Dec 3
Pardis Mahdavi, anthropology professor at Pomona College, speaking now at #trustwomenconf about her field research on #trafficking

Pomona College Launches a Five-Year Africa Initiative
Filed in Foreign studies on November 15, 2013

Africa-Initiative-PosterPomona College, the high-ranking liberal arts institution in Claremont, California, has announced the establishment of a five-year Africa Initiative. The initiative will include a wide range of guest speakers, performances, and a visiting African scholar during the spring semester each year.

Pierre Englebert, professor of African politics and coordinator of Pomona’s international relations program, states, “Whichever way you look at it, Africa is of growing importance to the United States and the world. If we are to train the leaders of tomorrow, it’s essential to prepare them better to deal with Africa, its politics and political economy. It takes a lot more than a few hours of classroom exposure to these topics to begin being able to make a difference, and to get competitive for graduate programs and work opportunities in the field.”

Pomona College President David Oxtoby added, “In the modern interconnected world, we need to have ties to every continent. I am excited to see the increasing numbers of students coming to Pomona from Africa, the growth of study abroad and internship opportunities there, and the number of speakers and visitors who work in or come from the region. Pomona’s Africa Initiative will help to further these connections in many ways.”

Last edited by Alex Linder; March 31st, 2014 at 03:57 AM.

Old March 31st, 2014 #13
Alex Linder
Administrator

[it gives me real figurative heartburn to think my alma mater is denying earned opportunities to valuable women of color]

Ex-prof sues Pomona College for discrimination
POSTED: 08/20/13, 6:53 PM PDT | 2 COMMENTS

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A former Pomona College professor is suing the school, claiming she was refused tenure and fired because she is Hispanic and a woman.

Alma Martinez filed the discrimination and wrongful termination suit Tuesday in Los Angeles County Superior Court.

Martinez, an assistant professor of theater, contends that in January, she was improperly refused a promotion to associate professor that would have granted her tenure and was told that she would be terminated. Her last day was June 30.

"Her department backed her 100 percent for tenure" and Martinez was never told why it was refused, said Victor Viramontes, national senior counsel for the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund, which filed the suit on her behalf.

Martinez, who holds a doctorate degree from Stanford University, has never been granted access to documents that might detail reasons for her termination, but it appears that her academic qualifications and scholarship were not questioned, Viramontes said.

"The totality of what she was given was an email where she was told that there were some questions regarding student reviews," he said. "Which students and which classes, we don't know."

The suit contends that Martinez met the faculty handbook's tenure requirements of "intellectual leadership, professional achievement and effective service." She wants to be rehired with tenure and also is seeking unspecified damages.

"Discrimination in the tenure process has a particularly pernicious impact because professors are role models for the many Latino university students whose success in higher education is essential to our nation's future," said a statement from Thomas A. Saenz, MALDEF president and general counsel.

"Pomona College has one of the most diverse faculties, in terms of both gender and race, of any college of its type in the country. The tenure review process at Pomona is designed to be both exhaustive and fair," the college said in a statement. "However, since this matter is now under litigation and involves private information about a former employee, we cannot comment further."

http://www.dailybulletin.com/general...discrimination

Old March 31st, 2014 #14
Alex Linder
Administrator

[yeah...all these mags can run their top ten lists and place pomona high, but here's what you're paying like 50k a year for:]

Retweeted by Alex Linder
Alex McPhee ‏@mcfieldgoal Mar 24
Pomona College is basically a bunch of required courses that teach me to feel bad about being white

Last edited by Alex Linder; March 31st, 2014 at 04:22 AM.

Old March 31st, 2014 #15
Alex Linder
Administrator

[They're trying to get their mileage out of this:]

Do college rankings matter? With the price of a four-year education approaching a quarter million dollars, it’s worth paying attention.

When future historians of U.S. higher education look back to when the ground really began to shake, they may well pinpoint 2013. They’ll see disruption in curriculum (towards STEM majors and away from traditional liberal arts) and delivery (from campus to online). They’ll track the problems of runaway tuition costs and student loan debt, shrinking state funding and class enrollment, and a humbling job market for most graduates. But they’ll also single out the rise of non-Ivy League, West Coast colleges.

For the first time, the FORBES Top Colleges ranking has two non-Ivies at the top: Stanford University (No. 1) and Pomona College (No. 2). It is also the first time that two California schools take the gold and silver. The best state school in America is University of California, Berkeley at No. 22. Here is what makes this shift so significant: It may splinter the grip of the East Coast Establishment colleges and open up a more diverse, accessible portfolio of best schools for students.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/caroline...colleges-2013/

Old March 31st, 2014 #16
Alex Linder
Administrator

Pomona College students vote to divest from fossil fuels!

mooonshadows:

In a student vote yesterday Pomona College students passed the divestment resolution by 78%, the second highest out of any college in the country!!!

So stoked and happy that all our hard work paid off. This is a big step for the campaign. I hope the administration listens! And maybe Pitzer will be next?

http://mhcdivest.tumblr.com/post/477...st-from-fossil

Old March 31st, 2014 #17
Alex Linder
Administrator

[i knew our campus was good for something]

Pomona College ‏@pomonacollege Apr 5
In 1986, Sylvester Stallone spent two days at Pomona College filming the arm-wrestling epic Over the Top http://ow.ly/jIGrM #Pomona125

Old March 31st, 2014 #18
Alex Linder
Administrator

Introducing Pomona College's Class of 2018

By Sneha Abraham 4:30 pm March 21, 2014 Students

Pomona's Admissions staff prepares letters to be sent to applicants.

Heralding the Class of 2018—and honoring tradition—Pomona College’s Office of Admissions rang the Sumner Hall bell 18 times this afternoon to celebrate the mailing of acceptance letters to admitted students.

Breaking last year’s record, the Admissions Office received 7,724 applications, an increase of 8%. Of that number, 939 applicants—49.5% are women and 50.5% are men—were admitted. At an acceptance rate of 12.16%, this was Pomona’s most selective year yet. Another four were admitted last year and deferred. Pomona is expecting approximately 15 transfer students and a Pomona College-Cambridge University Downing Scholar.

Fifteen readers pored over the applications, making for some long days and epic nights, including some bleary-eyed 5 a.m. to 3 a.m. stretches, with some pizza thrown in last night for sustenance.

“It’s the culmination of the entire effort of the year—we’re excited and exhausted. This is what we’ve been waiting for,” says Seth Allen, the vice president and dean of admissions and financial aid.

Pomona admitted students from 46 states, plus Washington, D.C. The most represented states are: California (228), Washington (53), Texas (52), Illinois (47) and New York (42). There were notable increases in applications from nearly every region of the U.S. this year, with particularly strong increases from the South (+45%) and the Northeast (+29%).

Admitted high school seniors hail from 40 different countries, with 33 different nationalities and another 51 with dual citizenship between the U.S. and other nations. The largest groups are from China (32), India (17), Korea (10), United Kingdom (9), Canada (7), Greece (5) and Turkey (5). Students come from 733 schools around the world.

Students of color make up 46.3% (435) of the admitted class. But they're counting jews as white.

There are 122 first-generation college students (neither parent is a four-year college graduate).

Academically, this batch shines. Among high schools that do rankings, 93% of the students are in the top decile, with 26% coming in as valedictorian graduates and approximately 8% as salutatorians—making more than a third of them either first or second in their class. The median SAT scores are 740 critical reading, 740 math and 750 writing. The median ACT score is 33.

This year, students selected one of two essay questions to answer:

1) What has sparked your curiosity in the last year? How did you respond?

2) Pomona’s Critical Inquiry course is required of all first-year students, and is designed to be highly interdisciplinary and engaging. Recent class titles include: "Molecules of the Mind"; "The Economics of Sin" and "Punk: Poets, Politics and Provocation." Imagine you were hired to design and teach a Critical Inquiry course. Describe the title of the class, its contents and why you chose it.

The Admissions Office’s hard work is not yet done. Open house programs will be held on campus April 14 and 21. Six post-offer parties will be held across the country for students and their parents who are unable to make it to the campus events. Admitted students must notify the College of their decision by May 1. Approximately 400 first-years will make up the Class of 2018.

http://pomona.edu/news/2014/03/21-ad...dents-day.aspx

Alex_Linder • a few seconds ago
So, if we assume that 40-50% of the students you're counting as white are actually jews, who don't consider themselves white...then we can see that your discrimination against whites is actually rather pronounced. That must make you feel good.

[if that comment survives long, i'll be surprised. this is the PC alumni mag, now online]

Alex_Linder • a minute ago
Tweet I happened across earlier today:

Alex McPhee ‏@mcfieldgoal Mar 24
Pomona College is basically a bunch of required courses that teach me to feel bad about being white

Interesting comment from young Mr. McPhee. Of course we know that making whites uncomfortable _is_ education - daring young white minds to embrace self-hate, we might say, while making 'minorities' uncomfortable is, well, insensitive at the least. Probably not legally advisible either.
• Edit• Reply•Share ›

Last edited by Alex Linder; March 31st, 2014 at 05:44 AM.

Old March 31st, 2014 #19
Alex Linder
Administrator

Daring Minds Campaign Launch

This speech was presented at the public launch of Campaign Pomona: Daring Minds on October 16, 2010. Text of the speech is available below the video.

[video]

The world needs daring minds!

From the days of our founding, in a Southern California desert surrounded by granite and sagebrush, to the high-technology era of the 21st century, bold and courageous minds have shaped and guided Pomona College. In similar fashion, the students who have graduated from this College have used their intellectual gifts, creative energy and commitment to change the world.

Today we launch a campaign that seeks to transform the Pomona education in ways that will make it second to none, building upon the solid foundation laid by the generations that preceded us. We continue to challenge--we dare--all students in this College to reach even higher: to move beyond traditional disciplinary boundaries, to seek experiences that lie outside of their comfort zones, to aspire to solve the big problems that face our world, and to gain the skills and knowledge that will help to ensure their success. In order to achieve this overarching goal, we are asking our closest friends to join us in partnership as we move forward.

The videos that we are seeing feature four remarkable students, individuals who have taken advantage--in bold and adventurous ways--of a Pomona education as they prepare for their futures. But we need to remember that these individual students are shaped by the community of which they are a part. The Pomona experience involves, at its very core, collaboration, teamwork, and shared support. From the seminar in which faculty and students engage in the analysis of a text, to the laboratory where a team designs and builds a new telescope, to the football field where athletes work together to execute a play, the college experience builds community for each one of our students.

Pomona is a residential liberal arts college, that uniquely American construct that over time has come to represent the gold standard in higher education. The Pomona experience begins in the classroom, where discussion and independent thinking are fostered. It moves from there to other forms of faculty-student and staff-student interaction, from office hours to joint research to informal conversations all over campus. It continues 24-7 in the residence halls, where, beginning with the first-year sponsor groups, students become part of an academic community that continually engages and challenges them. From performing in plays and making art to singing in the choir and playing on a sports team, each Pomona student has the opportunity to learn from fellow students and to share in the life of the College. The wide range of clubs and student-run organizations provides opportunities for leadership and ways to connect with communities beyond the campus.

The campus community extends beyond the students, faculty, and staff to alumni, parents, and friends around the country and across the world. The alumni of this College--nearly 21,000 strong--remain part of the Pomona community throughout their lives, returning for reunions and often engaging with faculty mentors and current students. One of the delights of my job as president is to meet alumni and learn, again and again, of their passionate connection to this College and the ways that their Pomona education has transformed their own lives. Through them, the College of today remains connected to our past as we plan for our future. And it is a constant pleasure to hear from Pomona parents about the experiences of their sons and daughters--how the College is challenging them to reach their full potential and, on occasion, to receive suggestions of ways in which we might improve. Parents are very much a part of our community, whether they visit campus or simply learn about us from their children.

As many of you know, I am a scientist by training and experience. My core area of research has involved the study of nucleation. Consider a sample of water, purified and cooled slightly below its normal freezing point. It stands in a state of suspended possibility, not changing at all until a tiny seed crystal of ice, the nucleating agent, is added; then the entire sample quickly and dramatically freezes. The daring minds that we educate at Pomona College have the possibility to serve as nucleating agents in the world around them, to enter into situations that have the potential for change and to provide the seed for transformation.

Campaign Pomona: Daring Minds presents a dramatic opportunity to provide a nucleating seed for change on our campus. When I first came to Pomona College nearly eight years ago and met students, faculty, staff, trustees and alumni during the presidential selection process, I was struck by the lack of complacency in this community and the willingness to contemplate change, to take risks and to aim higher. Pomona College is ambitious in its goals to become even stronger. There is tremendous potential in this College, and this campaign is a critical step toward releasing this potential.

The founders of this College dared to plan and establish a “college of the New England type,” and in the creative vision of architect Myron Hunt--architect for this very building--this plan found physical expression. The boldness of President James Blaisdell led to the formation of The Claremont Colleges, a consortium unique in higher education that still sets the standard for institutional cooperation in the academic world. We follow these heroic planners of the past with our own plans, conceived for the challenges of a different century but no less ambitious in scope and impact.

We seek, quite simply, to lead the country and the world in the quality and accessibility of the education we offer. Through increased support for financial aid, we will set the standard for affordability for students from all walks of life. Through a renewed emphasis on the arts, we will encourage more opportunities for creative expression from all students. Through substantive summer research and internship opportunities for each student--not just for a selected elite--we will add a critical component to the current eight semesters of study. And, finally, through building bridges to the communities that surround us, as well as making connections across the world, we will prepare Pomona students to be enlightened decision-makers.

As students walk through the College gates, either during their four years on campus or when they leave this community at graduation, they read the historic charge of President Blaisdell: “They only are loyal to this College who departing bear their added riches in trust for mankind.” Many institutions talk about the importance of giving back, but at Pomona College, the notion is etched into our granite gates and into our hearts. In this campaign, we seek to provide future Pomona College students with opportunities, the “added riches,” that will prepare them for committed lives of meaning and distinction. We have a challenging job in front of us to achieve the goals of this Campaign. Thank you for your support of this mission.

http://www.pomona.edu/administration...gn-speech.aspx

Old March 31st, 2014 #20
Alex Linder
Administrator

Pomona College, located in Claremont, California, is one of the nation's premier liberal arts colleges. Established in 1887, it is the founding member of the Claremont Colleges (Claremont Graduate University, Scripps College, Claremont McKenna College, Harvey Mudd College, Pitzer College and Keck Graduate Institute). Pomona College is known for small classes, a challenging curriculum, close relationships between students and faculty, and a range of student research and leadership opportunities. The College is a leading producer of Fulbright scholars and recipients of other competitive fellowships and scholarships.

Pomona College is one of a handful of colleges that meet the full financial aid need of every accepted student with scholarships.

The Pomona College faculty includes accomplished scholars, who have also authored numerous books and articles, published in professional journals, and presented their research around the world. Many have shared their expertise with national and international broadcast and electronic media, and are available for interviews on current events.

Thread