VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Go Back   Vanguard News Network Forum > Loxist Culture > TV & Advertising
Donate Register Multimedia Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Login

Thread Display Modes Share
Old February 17th, 2022 #1
Lutador Branco

Default “the marlboro story” 1969 philip morris big tobacco advertising campaign leo burnett agency

PeriscopeFilm

This 1969 color “puff piece” on the history of the Marlboro cigarette brand chronicles the origins of one of history's greatest ad campaigns. Made as a brag piece, the film also illustrates how the Philip Morris Corporation preyed on consumers during the 50s and 60s by shifting their branding and advertising approaches to suggest hazy links between tobacco use and masculinity. The faces of the businessmen behind the brand’s “cowboy” image are revealed in promotional interviews (TRT: 25:04).

Old February 17th, 2022 #2
Nikola Bijeliti
fluxmaster

And the Marlboro Man later died of lung cancer.

All these ideas…are chained to the existence of men, to who[m]…they owe their existence. Precisely in this case the preservation of these definite races and men is the precondition for the existence of these ideas. --Adolf Hitler

Old February 18th, 2022 #3
Lutador Branco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola Bijeliti View Post
And the Marlboro Man later died of lung cancer.

Eric Lawson Marlboro Man died

Yes, it is necessary to report this, Comrade
Nikola.

Old February 20th, 2022 #6
Ray Allan

Cigarette ads were banned from television in the US in 1971, so I am old enough to remember them. I certainly remember the theme from The Magnificent Seven used in the Marlboro ads.

When I was in grade school, the anti-smoking campaign was in full swing. I remember watching a parody film, probably based on The Marlboro Story, about the tobacco industry. Their version of the Marlboro Man went something like, "He knows he can get lung cancer and die...but he's too tough to care!" Also, every executive of the fictional tobacco company in the film was a chain smoker except for the chief executive officer, who was a non-smoker.

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor

Old February 20th, 2022 #7
Lutador Branco

Comrade Ray, this parody movie you mentioned seems to be pretty crazy , and it must have been inspired by the movie The Marlboro Story...

Here in Brazil, cigarette advertisements on television were banned from the end of the year 2000, and since 1996, commercials of the type could only be aired between 9 pm and 6 am.

I spent my childhood, in the 1970s and 1980s, here in Brazil, seeing cigarette advertisements like this one for the Hollywood cigarette, from the year 1985, that I posted in this thread.

I never became a smoker.

Old February 26th, 2022 #8
Lutador Branco

Advertising film created in 1984.

Thread