Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 3rd, 2014 #381
SSanguine

Years ago I started this thread ... Nice to see that it's still around!

Here was my dinner tonight & one of my favorite meals to make -- It is simple and delicious:

Chicken Souvlaki & a Wedge Salad

Here's my recipe for the chicken souvlaki:

My recipe for Chicken Souvlaki:

5 boneless skinless chicken breasts (Cut into 1in cubes)
1 tbsp Dried Oregano
1 tsp Minced garlic
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Fresh ground black pepper
1/2 tsp Crushed red pepper
Juice of 1 Small/Med Lemon
1 tbsp Olive Oil

Appx. 8 soaked wooden skewers

Place the cubed chicken into a large resealable bag. Add the Oregano, Garlic, Salt, Pepper, Crushed Red Pepper, Lemon Juice, & Olive oil. Seal the bag and mix the ingredients together, making sure that all of the chicken is well-coated. Place the bag in the refrigerator and let marinade for at least 1 hour. When ready, place the chicken on skewers and preheat electric or outdoor grill to a med/high temperature (I use the high setting on my George Foreman Grill) and cook approximately 5-7 minutes on each side.

For the brightest and best taste, do not marinade your chicken overnight, a few hours will make it the most flavorful and fragrant!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here's the same dish I made a different time with my homemade sprouted wheat pitas:

I can't find the recipe for it right now, but I do believe I found it online!

Old April 16th, 2015 #382
Viola

boneless chicken breasts 2 pounds
Chile Powder 1 tbs.
Cumin 1tbs.
Cilantro 1bs.
refried beans 1 can
Jack cheese quarter pound
2 Red Peppers
2 Green peppers
one or two onions
1 clove of garlic

Chicken fajitas- they're different from the usual chicken recipe and really good.

boil the boneless chicken breasts in chicken stock (which must be seasoned with salt and pepper). Boil it till it can be shredded. Now add 1 ttbs each of Chile powder, cumin and cilantro. Also add a dash of red pepper. Then add a can of refried beans and then add a quarter pound of jack cheese.
Take a separate pan and fry two red peppers and two green peppers in it. Add a few onions and a clove of garlic. Once these are done add them to the chicken mixture.
Let this cook together for about a half an hour. Then, place the chicken mixture into tortilla wraps and fry them in oil.

I usually serve them with sour cream and guacamole.You can also substitute ground beef or even sliced steak for the chicken for an entirely different taste.

Old May 11th, 2015 #383
Alex Linder
Administrator

ASTRONAUT'S FAVORITE DISH: UNENDANGERED (NON-ALLIGATOR) SNAPPING TURTLE CHOWDER

Next to a Mason jar full of delicious Tang, or a loamy bedful of 17-year-old pussy, there is nothing 'nots love more than the delicious feast below. Why? Because their job is so easy they have time to glomp around Fla and Ala and interact with the natives, many of whom are turtles. So over time, NASA developed a whole turtle-eating culture that is actually LESS known than their proud literal NAZI intellectual-scientific provenance. So...

I made turtle chowder with about 1' pounds of common snapping turtle meat instead of clams. Came out very nice. First time ever rendered or ate a turtle. The meat takes a long time to loosen up, I boiled it for 2 hours before throwing it in chowder pot. The turtle was maybe 15 pounds, off which you could probably get 3 lb of meat, max, I'd guess. I was not good at cleaning it, as first time, but managed about 2 lb to 1.5 lb. Pretty rough work. Chopping the head off that bastard with a rusty hatchet was not easily accomplished.

Key to making chowder:

1) fuck the bullshit you read about cream, which has more subdivisions than boxing. All you need is a gallon of milk. why pay $4 for 1/4 as much. you can use any milk product you have on hand but if you must buy, just get regular milk, 2% or whole
2) don't overboil potatoes or they mush out quickly in chowder. light-boil, set aside.
3) i threw in the rest of the wild turkey already cooked on hand
4) boil the turtle meat for 2 hours (we tried to deep fry turtle, big FAIL) then rip it into tiny shreds with fingers. it is more or less like clams in texture. does NOT taste fishy/swampy as you'd expect. but remains tough and. turtle meat is different types of meat all called turtle, some is like bass (white), most is shades of pink/red. some say 7 types of meat on a turtle.
5) you could also make a soup out of turtle easily enough
6) cut up mini-carrots really small or they might stay rocklike, those withy little bastards can take a lot of hot-water abuse and keep their shape
7) potatoes, one pack of bacon, one can corn, wild turkey, turtle. i strongly disagree with bacon in chili (as are chocolate, beer, other ingreds.), waste of money but NOT so in chowder, you need bacon, it adds a lot
8) use lot of potatoes, i used about 8. actually too many hence overflow pan.

In the end, turtle is some effort for not really great but certainly not bad amount of meat. Just not sure how you can handle turtle other than boiling the hell out of it, you surely can't deep fry it - proving the adage that you can deep-fry anything a great big fat LIE.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-spring-turtle-turkey chowder.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	9564  

Last edited by Alex Linder; May 11th, 2015 at 07:43 PM.

Old May 12th, 2015 #384
Samuel Toothgold
Charachature incarnate

Location: Already in accordance with the future Repulsive Tapir Avatar Mandate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSanguine View Post
Years ago I started this thread ... Nice to see that it's still around...

...preheat electric or outdoor grill to a med/high temperature
What's it like "Necro"posting on your own thread?
I wouldn't waste the meal setting it on an electric grill. Either use coal or a gasgrill with at least one coal placed next to one of the lava stones. For meat which doesn't take that long, I split the coal in half and either use only the one half or distribute both halves on each end of the grill, depending if what I'm grilling takes up the entire surface or only half. This way, you avoid too many carcinogens landing on the food and still get a barbecue taste.

Old September 2nd, 2015 #385
Ian Smith son

Jamie Oliver's Swedish meatballs recipe

Jamie Oliver's Swedish meatballs recipe | Travel | The Guardian

Old February 7th, 2018 #387
Smokey420

Mike in Denver even though I use Cannabis you should add some brown sugar to your chili because the brown sugar will also enhance the flavor and do not forget to add two tablespoons of peanut butter in your chili as well because the peanut butter will make the chili thicker.

Add some minced or diced garlic, peppers, a can of mushrooms, brown beans and kidney beans to your chili as well due to them being healthy also.

Enjoy.

Tags
#1, cooking, food, recipe

Thread