VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 2nd, 2013 #21
keifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr A.Anderson View Post
Homemade cook set - YouTube

My idea is slightly different. When I work out the kinks, I'll make and post a video of it.
"Come on Honey, we're goin' dumpster-divin".

But ya know, as soon as I said the word dumpster, visions of portable gas chambers ran through my head. Seriously, a makeshift oven made from a dumpster would be so much more efficient than those tiny crematorium ovens that had magical powers of defying mathematical possibility.

Meanwhile back at camp, my system is the Nalgene stainless steel bottle and a round stainless GI style cup that fits over the top of the Nalgene bottle. It is odd that when in the wilderness, even after a day of climbing and hunting, my appetite drops to a state of nearly non existent. My camp food is minimal. A can of Ravioli, which most the time I eat uncooked, jerky of some sort, chocolate bars and packages of hot chocolate and dehydrated milk. Tortia wraps are flat and durable for riding in a pack. I usually use the burrito wraps to make peanut-butter sandwiches. Thats about it.

Old March 2nd, 2013 #22
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

I made my penny stove today. Not bad for the first time (I hope). Will fire it up tomorrow once the gasket sealer cures.

Oh, and of course........

I made it out of Diet Dr. Pepper Cans in honor of Akins.

Old March 3rd, 2013 #23
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Last edited by Mr A.Anderson; March 3rd, 2013 at 08:47 AM.

Old March 3rd, 2013 #24
Simmon

Boiling 16 oz of ice water with an alcohol soda can stove(double walled)using 1/2 oz of de-natured alcohol.

Old March 3rd, 2013 #25
Simmon

Making a double walled soda can alcohol stove.

Old March 3rd, 2013 #26
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

I made 3 different sizes/versions of the penny stove.

Largest left to right using about 3/4 ounce of HEET.

Left was my first and largest, fiberglass fill, 16 jet. Burn time 6 minutes, but the flame was not intense for long.

Middle was my second, mid sized, fiberglass fill, 16 jet. Burn time about 8 minutes. Intense heat which caused a failure (next set of pics) with the penny I used.

Right was my 3rd, small - about the size of a snuff can or hockey puck, no fiberglass fill, 8 jet. Burn time about 12 minutes.

The failures:

The mid sized and the large had failures on this test as a result of me using a new, mostly zinc penny. The largest seriously deformed, and started to melt the penny as seen in the picture. Mind you that was the shortest, and coolest burn stove.

The mid sized stove completely melted the penny, and that is the fragments you see on the pan - what was left of the newer zinc penny.

And the top of the can of the mid sized can failed.

I increased the number of jets on the smallest, non-fiberglass filled stove from 8 to 16, and made sure I used an older (pre 1984 copper penny). With 16 jets, and 1 once of HEET, it burned for 10 minutes.

I will make one of those double wall stoves tomorrow and test.

Last edited by Mr A.Anderson; March 3rd, 2013 at 11:33 PM.

Old March 7th, 2013 #27
keifer

Here is a new gear system set up with stainless steel canteen, cup and stove. This set up pretty much combines everything on this thread so far.

Old March 9th, 2013 #28
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmon View Post
Making a double walled soda can alcohol stove.

how to make the best pop can alcohol stove - YouTube
I made one of these this morning, and it was as easy as depicted in the video.

However, when I lit it (using HEET), the center flame never extinguished, and the jets never really did much. I could hear the alcohol boiling quite loudly, but it never really primed itself.

I used almost 1 oz of HEET, and only managed to get a 9:08 min burn.

Old March 9th, 2013 #29
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by keifer View Post
Here is a new gear system set up with stainless steel canteen, cup and stove. This set up pretty much combines everything on this thread so far.
Stainless Steel Canteen Kit Review Initial Product Intro - YouTube
Seems to be a pretty decent kit.

One of the things that I'm trying to avoid is buying a bunch of fancy, shiny, and expensive gear. I'm trying to find ways of actually making this stuff with everyday household or scrounged items. I have enough things to spend my money on as it is.

Old March 9th, 2013 #30
keifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr A.Anderson View Post
Seems to be a pretty decent kit.

One of the things that I'm trying to avoid is buying a bunch of fancy, shiny, and expensive gear. I'm trying to find ways of actually making this stuff with everyday household or scrounged items. I have enough things to spend my money on as it is.
I understand what you are saying. I would buy this if not for the fact that I have spent money already on a mix match of items that add up to pretty much the same thing in this kit.

Old March 9th, 2013 #31
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

OK, made another double wall stove. I noticed that the wall inside my first one wasn't a tight fight from top to bottom (there was a little wiggle room there) and thought that might have been an issue.

This time, I made my center wall 1/2" over the height instead of 1/4". The result, my stove is slightly taller than the original, but I have a very tight fitting inner wall.

I fired it up, and this time I had flame escaping the seal between the two cans (from stretching the bottom can out) and had a slightly better result on the jets. I've sealed the two cans together with some gasket sealer to stop the leak, and will check tonight if it has a better result.

I will test the fiberglass fill, no fiberglass fill and the double wall against each other tonight to see what gives me the best results. So far, my money is on the no fiberglass fill penny stove.

Old March 9th, 2013 #32
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Comparing the 3 top alcohol stoves of different types that I have made.

Left is a fiberglass fill penny stove.

Center is the double wall can stove.

Right is a non-fiberglass fill penny stove.

I used about 3/4 oz of HEET per stove (I spilled some in the right stove, so it was less than the other two)

Fiberglass stove burns for shit - don't waste your time.

The real competition is between the double wall stove and the non fiberglass fill penny stove.

The double wall burned for 10:40. The penny burned for 9:30 - but had less fuel because of my spill.

The penny is smaller, so it requires less space in your pack, but requires an older, copper penny.

I will buy more fuel tomorrow, and build pot stands that are 1/4" above the respective stove. I will attempt to boil 16 oz of cold tap water on each stove under similarly controlled environments to determine which one is faster, more fuel efficient, and longer burning.

Old March 13th, 2013 #33
patriot
Banned

Default Guns

Most people will need a rifle to hunt deer and they could use it for self defense. You'll need that and a shotgun. I would not get a high dollar assault rifle. I would get a deer rifle chambered in .308. I would get a shot shot which is good for up close confrontations. You might have a thousand dollars in both of them. A good pistol I would just get a .357 revolver. I would get as much ammo as you can afford. It would be wise to invest in ammo reloading equipment too.

Old March 20th, 2013 #34
keifer

It might be best to refrain from mentioning firearms on threads regarding the outdoor activities focused here. The mere mentioning of such would reclassify the info presented here as a threat. These threads are about how not to be a liability to yourself and others. The mentioning of firearms in this content could very well end up being a liability. This is not militia, it is wilderness self reliance, self responsibility, aesthetics of problem solving in the natural environment.
Survivalism in america begins and ends with the firearm. These threads are about what's in between. If you can't survive with out a firearm, then you can't survive.

Thread