Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old January 29th, 2020 #1
steven clark

Default BBC/PBS Jane Austen's Sanditon

Sanditon was an uncompleted novel by Jane Austen, dealing with Charlotte, a young girl who has a couple of people dumped into her house by a coach accident. The gentleman is building a new resort in Sanditon, and considers it a cure-all for any ailment, being next to good sea air. Charlotte goes along with the couple, and the story is an examination of the various hypochondriacs and idle rich who fill the place, or seemed to be going that way when Jane died, she only having gotten to chapter twelve.

This BBC version seems to go for a PC version. The occupants of Sanditon need to grovel before Lady Denham, the rich and feisty woman who lends money for the resort, and it's not a fun version. Everyone seems sour and it feels like Tony Blair's Britain. Charlotte is played by Rose Williams, and Rose is definitely half-black, although her bio says 'she belongs to the caucasian ethnicity.' No, she's a Megan Markle type, and I almost suspect this show was done partly to coincide with Megan's rise (and now fall) in Britain.

The leading man is rude, snide, and smokes cigarettes in a holder...not very period, and always has that three-day growth of beard modern men crave.
Miss Lambe, a character in the novel mentioned but not shown because Austen dies before she could write her, is a West Indian mulatto worth 100,000 pounds, and is deemed innocent enough to be sought after.

Here, the actress playing her is completely black, and in Austen's time mulatto meant half-black, most certainly the issue of a white landowner and black slave. Actually, Rose Williams would have fit the role, but instead we have a black actress who is rude, angry, pissy, always complaining of slavery and oppression, and we get a bellyful of anti-slavery talk.
She is disgusted and wants to flee to London, but hasn't six shillings for the coach, but says she has 100,000 pounds at her bank in England, and the coachman refuses her, and this is meant to show racism, although today try to get on a Greyhound promising to pay off and that you have a bundle at your destination, and see how far you get.

There's a creepy feeling. Not much humor, and I didn't find it very entertaining, and always, always...slavery, black, black...Lambe keeps snapping back at people who don't treat her as an equal, although when they try to, she reminds them she is a product of slavery...
reminds me of blacks anywhere, but certainly in the U.K., who shout and scream about racism, and that's all they live for.
Megan Markle seems to be in the shadow, she fleeing Britain because of its 'racism' in not accepting her.

Mostly I dislike Rose Williams as Charlotte. I think she would have made a perfect Lambe, but I'm tired of BBC shows where they put a black in a white role and pretend there's nothing odd about it.

I think Sanditon is, even in its truncated version, an interesting novel, but I wasn't happy with Andrew Davie's script. It seemed grumpy, callous, and wants to go along with the latest PC dictates from the BBC.

Old January 29th, 2020 #2
Ray Allan

The BBC (Be a Better Communist) has a habit of showing politically correct garbage like this when it comes to re-telling classics. Their recent version of Robin Hood looks like it really did come from "da 'hood."

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor

Old January 29th, 2020 #3
steven clark

Sanditon reminded me of Regency House Party, a BBC series some years ago where people dressed in regency clothes, lived in a regency mansion with servants, etc., and pretended to be courting each other and making a dream match.

It was kind of fun, and everyone seemed to enjoy the roles assigned them (think of Survivor Meets Jane Austen), then in came a black participant, a woman who was supposedly from the West Indies with a lot of money...again, almost pure black, not mulatto, which wouldn't have happened. A kind of subtle chill came over things. The mansion's 'lord' decided, in deference to the new guest, to ban sugar since it was a product of slave labor.
Also, a black guy was brought in as a boxer, and pounded a white guy, and was happily carried across a stream by whites so his black ass wouldn't get wet. He was kind of worshipped by these white actors in peasant costumes.

I thought all of this was not so subtle race hatred and a kind of check on whites enjoying themselves too much. It was interesting as well that no man showed any interest in the black woman and her 'fortune'. In fact, the men kind of seemed to keep away from her and keep their flirtation/courting with other white women.

The black woman left after one episode, and was never spoken of again. I thought the blacks were put in there to remind whites (watching TV) that you can't get away from blacks, and the woman was a sort of cop. In fact, during her appearance, she was decidedly cool to everyone.

When she left, a sense of relief came, and everyone happily went back to role playing.
I'm reminded what Wm. Pierce said, that the blacks are the muscle of the Jews. That's why Sanditon had a lot of deja vu.
BBC doesn't surprise me. They're hog wild on diversity. I sent a script to them some years ago. It was rejected by an editor with some very long Indian name, and the editor's letter had three grammatical errors.

Old January 29th, 2020 #4
Gladiatrix

Steven,

Thanks for the clarification. I had no idea the character is actually part black. I saw an ad for this on the PBS and thought they were doing a PC edition of a Jane Austen novel (I have not read this one obviously).

Somebody on Stormfront posted that the BBC had a series awhile back with negro characters in Britain when the Romans were occupying it.

Old January 30th, 2020 #5
Hugh Akston
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven clark View Post
BBC/PBS Jane Austen's Sanditon

I read the OP's post even before anyone else had yet commented, but I'm only now getting around to responding. As it so happens, I have a book on my nightstand that I'm nearing completion. It's this one:

After reading the OP, I shortly returned to the biography, having not read anything about Sanditon, her unfinished novel. But, I no more than finished page 259 and turned to the next page than there it was: Sanditon...

Don't Let Anyone Tell
You It Doesn't Exist

Old January 30th, 2020 #6
steven clark

Sanditon, although uncompleted, is a good novel, and another uncompleted novel of hers, The Watsons, showed promise.

I know The New Yorker isn't one of our favorite mags, but Anthony Lane wrote a good review of Sandition a couple of years ago, as well as discussion on Austen's death.

Like I said, the actress, Rose Williams, definitely is part black. Just check a picture. But I dislike the depressing script and humorlessness of everyone.

As i said in another post on movies, go see Little Women. It's much better.

Old February 2nd, 2020 #7
Nikola Bijeliti
fluxmaster

Haven't seen Sanditon, but the description reminds me of Austenland, a movie about a Jane Austin theme park. Not a bad movie until this Mulatto guy shows up, and all the White women start getting excited over him, but then he exists the story, and the movie recovers.
All these ideas…are chained to the existence of men, to who[m]…they owe their existence. Precisely in this case the preservation of these definite races and men is the precondition for the existence of these ideas. --Adolf Hitler

Old February 2nd, 2020 #8
Garrick Fenstad
Banned

Jane Austen was a bit of a nigger lover and her own words suggested that. Just sayin'.

Old February 2nd, 2020 #9
steven clark

It sounds a repeat of what I've listed. It seems like there is always something with niggers in it to remind to, in effect, keep an eyes on whites and remind them totally white worlds and entertainment cannot be allowed. I always think blacks are a kind of police used to watch whites.

I've been reading Steinbeck's East of Eden for my church book club, and have mixed views on it, although its happily free of blacks. I'm also reading Norris's The Octopus (1900), about California ranchers destroyed by railroads and capitalist monopoly. The head of the railroad is named Behrman...Jewish?

One thing nice about literature from these periods is they're pretty open about race. In East of Eden, a black woman who runs a whorehouse is liked and respected, but they call her the Nigger.

Also, you realize how white California was in those days. But I guess this should be in the book section.

Old February 27th, 2020 #10
Ray Allan

A good commentary on the BBC's politically correct retelling and bastardization of literary classics:

BBC vandalizes literary classics with woke rewriting supposed to make it more 'yoof' friendly as it faces license-funding crisis

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/481672-bbc-...ssics-license/

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor

Thread